• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2017 4:51 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto

happy camper

Alan at LG exhaust and I came to an agreement. Problem is solved and I'm a happy camper. He really stands by his work and does his best to make everyone happy. Would I recommend him after an issue I had? Yes I would because he will do his best to ensure that his customers are happy after the job. Kudos to Alan today for calling me in.
Last edited by trixstar on Mar 24th, 2017 10:28 am, edited 14 times in total.
64 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Glad that you're rid of that shop. Sucks that you had to go through all that.

As an aside, I've known Nim at NV since he opened his first shop well over 10 years ago. Even went on some Land Rover expeditions with him. Really good guy.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote: I've known Nim at NV since he opened his first shop well over 10 years ago. Even went on some Land Rover expeditions with him. Really good guy.
Nim is the first master mechanic for Land Rover in canada I believe.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
those are really expensive prices LG charged you and then some (+ major screw up). If you are quoted with that before you even went in, the dealer pricing may not be too far off, in this case, dealer is your much safer bet, I would say.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: those are really expensive prices LG charged you and then some (+ major screw up). If you are quoted with that before you even went in, the dealer pricing may not be too far off, in this case, dealer is your much safer bet, I would say.
Yeah, it wasn't far off which really worried me that day, but I figured it would be more convenient to do it there since I live nearby and I could take both cars there on the only day I was available. They never screwed up when i had my hyundai and mazda there. Dumb me.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8474 posts
4467 upvotes
Canuckland
I don't think you read your owner's manual, tranny fluids are sealed for the life of the vehicle.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
probably the tech doing the work did not have much experience with the Euro brands at all.

Lesson learned, I supposed.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanuck wrote: I don't think you read your owner's manual, tranny fluids are sealed for the life of the vehicle.
Mercedes 722.9 transmissions require the first service at 60k.
Last edited by trixstar on Mar 24th, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
trixstar wrote: Nim is the first master mechanic for Land Rover in canada I believe.
I think I recall him telling me that. There was also a guy named Serge that had a shop called disco tech (in Brampton). I think he was a master LR mechanic as well. Great mechanic but he was pretty coarse lol. Moved back to Quebec and closed shop if I recall correctly.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
DealCanuck wrote: I don't think you read your owner's manual, tranny fluids are sealed for the life of the vehicle.
Downvote #18 given
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
2161 posts
3198 upvotes
GTA
Good to see OP taking care of your car. So many people I know have bought premium cars and cheap out on doing the scheduled maintenance!
Dec 6, 2015
55 posts
27 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
LG is a bit shady. Also had a bad experience there. I'm not sure any of them are licensed techs
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3802 posts
1276 upvotes
$500 for an oil change?? Wow you have a lot of money to blow. I think even at Mercedes dealership it would be cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8474 posts
4467 upvotes
Canuckland
romsan04 wrote: $500 for an oil change?? Wow you have a lot of money to blow. I think even at Mercedes dealership it would be cheaper.
If he can drive a MB I'm sure he has no problem paying extra.

IMO the shop knew that the owner had cash to blow.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
And this is why I DIY everything on my car, especially the easy stuff. Saves money and I know if it was done right. Oil and brakes are easy, tranny fluid changes can be a pain sometimes and it smells awful, but with some cheap hand pumps it's not bad. Remember to always remove the fill plug before the drain plug!
You can save a lot on the materials by not buying from dealers and getting it from the USA if you can.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2930 posts
621 upvotes
Ajax
No sympathy for these people that pay for cars that are status symbols..... I also can sell you an hdmi cable for $100s if you want.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
gostinger wrote: No sympathy for these people that pay for cars that are status symbols..... I also can sell you an hdmi cable for $100s if you want.
downvote #19 given.

Wow this thread has like 10% of my downvotes
Dec 19, 2010
907 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
gostinger wrote: No sympathy for these people that pay for cars that are status symbols..... I also can sell you an hdmi cable for $100s if you want.
so that means no one should ever buy name brand clothes, cars, tv's... cause at the end of the day it's just a status symbol right? why buy a Samsung when you can have a Haier. Why buy a Mercedes when you can have a Honda. Why buy a GAP tshirt when you can get one from Walmart.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)