• Jun 9th, 2015 1:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
tebore wrote: Look at how quick or should I say slowly Apple's prices drop.
I think you are comparing apples to oranges (no pun intended :) )
How many flagship phones does apple release in a year? How many Android flagship phones come out in a year?
There are no 3rd party Apple phone manufacturers, Apple has 100% control over pricing, where as on the Android side of things there are plenty of manufacturers all releases new phones throughout the year and one try to beat the other in terms of hardware specs so prices of flag ship phones drop literally within months of being out, because well they are literally only flag ships for a month or so.
Samsung alone just sh1tes out new phones during the year, and there are many other manufacturers, like HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola, Google (Nexus).
Apple doesn't have to drop the prices because if you want an Apple phone you have no choice but to buy it from Apple, if you want an Android phone there are plenty of choices if one manufacturer is too expensive.
So Android phone manufacturers not only have to compete with Apple also compete with each other on the pricing front.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
SpectralMeat wrote: I think you are comparing apples to oranges (no pun intended :) )
How many flagship phones does apple release in a year? How many Android flagship phones come out in a year?
There are no 3rd party Apple phone manufacturers, Apple has 100% control over pricing, where as on the Android side of things there are plenty of manufacturers all releases new phones throughout the year and one try to beat the other in terms of hardware specs so prices of flag ship phones drop literally within months of being out, because well they are literally only flag ships for a month or so.
Samsung alone just sh1tes out new phones during the year, and there are many other manufacturers, like HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola, Google (Nexus).
Apple doesn't have to drop the prices because if you want an Apple phone you have no choice but to buy it from Apple, if you want an Android phone there are plenty of choices if one manufacturer is too expensive.
So Android phone manufacturers not only have to compete with Apple also compete with each other on the pricing front.
Which is kinda the point with it being a zero sum game and a race to the bottom.

Apple found a way to compete on something other than specs and price.

OEM skins and physical design aside there's very little difference between flagship Androids. The OS and Platform is pretty much controlled by 1 company. The hardware is pretty much only from a handful of manufacturers. Which makes it hard for the OEM to compete. They don't make their own SoC they have to pay market price for it. So you lose the Apple advantage of being to amortize your R&D over multiple products

The game is broken.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tebore wrote: No YOU need to read up on XDA to educate YOURSELF.

All the features I mentioned can be achieved and some has been achieved by 3rd parties.

Example: The FRP requires the partition tables to changed to a new layout. Maybe it can't be achieved via OTA or not without factory wipe. But that shouldn't be a reason.

Do you even know what CAF is? Go a head I'll wait for you to Google it.
achieved and achieved without compromise is two entirely different things.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
LandKing wrote: achieved and achieved without compromise is two entirely different things.
So In short you have no idea how any of the features work.

You're just another reddit neckbeard.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
3095 posts
1332 upvotes
West
tebore wrote: Even Google is a Mofo at support. Yes you can have the 'latest version' of Android on your Nexus for a longer time than most OEMs but like Apple they also shed functionality when a new Nexus is launched (like Apple) but for some reason people don't pick on Google for this.
Recent Examples
'Ok Google from Screen off" - Nexus 4-5 is capable but it's limited to the 6 and 9.
DSP Tunneling - Nexus 5 and up even tho Nexus 4 is capable.
Factory reset protection - Any device is capable but only the 6 & 9 and any 5.1 preinstalled device gets it.
Hardware acceleration Nexus 5 is capable (SD400 and up should do it) but looks like only the 6 & 9 will get it.
Wifi calling - Again Nexus 5 is capable but only the 6
Ok Google from screen off is scary sh*t, you really want to turn your phone into a 24hr listening device?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
WhatsTheRush wrote: Ok Google from screen off is scary sh*t, you really want to turn your phone into a 24hr listening device?
Fair enough :) .

But Android in it's current form is barely optimized for what the hardware is capable of (it wasn't until project butter in 4.0 that GPUs were used to help accelerate the UI, iOS, WebOS had it day one). Sure OEMs try, by using a lot of proprietary binaries and libraries they custom write or rely heavily on Qualcomm.
I get it's the nature of the beast that is Android that it's hard to really optimize for 80million devices. But hell Windows can do it, I'm hoping Google takes a new approach to Android that looks at how you can easily change drivers(HAL) and optimize the Android build. ChromeOS takes this kind of approach, maybe ChromeOS will be the spiritual successor at some point to Android (Couldn't hurt to have more competition).
If we used all the optimized Libraries/APIs and drivers Qualcomm put out and optimized Android around that a device like the Nexus 5 hell even the Nexus 4 would take a dump on any Apple product until the iPhone 8s came out. With 8 hour SOT[ULPS (Ultra Low Power) is Qualcomm/JDI Screen optimization that if perfected would be part of the equation].

I know I keep bringing up Apple, but this is where Apple is doing a good job. Instead of stuffing the most powerful off the shelf parts in, they squeeze everything out of the hardware and software to deliver on the intended function (planned obsolesce in another discussion).
Feb 12, 2007
189 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone with a D803 who wants Lollipop: I'm running AICP with Lollipop 5.1 currently, and it's awesome. Stable, great battery life. Highly recommended.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5603 posts
4000 upvotes
GTA
screwdriver223 wrote: Anyone with a D803 who wants Lollipop: I'm running AICP with Lollipop 5.1 currently, and it's awesome. Stable, great battery life. Highly recommended.
Which modem are you using? Im not able to get data working even though the apn's are correct.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
[quote="LandKing" post_id="22574385" time="1432519161" user_id="1020161"]Wow...with all the hype with the G4...may want to reconsider it since seems LG ends support 14mths after release

No lollipop update for Canadian G2...phone that was released sept 2013/QUOTE]

It's been 20 months since September 2013, not 14.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
this is really bad. i expected my g2 to be updated to lollipop. hopefully fix somebug, looks like it will never happen....
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
psyko514 wrote: It's been 20 months since September 2013, not 14.
Math is hard :lol:
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2518 upvotes
Halifax
No the end of the world being orphaned with Kit Kat. Everything still works, and it is not like Lollipop is the end all and be all. Lollipop is still pretty buggy, especially on older hardware.

I have a LG P930 that came with 2.3 Gingerbread. That was painful! 4.0 ICS was not much better. It got better when I switched to Cyanogenmod 4.2.2 Jelly bean. The phone can use Kit Kat ROMs, but the ROMs are too unstable, and Cyanogenmod really does not support the P930 that enthusiastically anymore. Still, I can run anything with stability with the 4.2.2 ROM, and it is certainty better than stock.

If you have a phone that can run Kit Kat reliably, there is no big issue staying there. Not like it is Gingerbread.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
i am talking about the wifi bug...each time the phone reset or power off, we have to enter again each wifi setting...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
bridonca wrote: No the end of the world being orphaned with Kit Kat. Everything still works, and it is not like Lollipop is the end all and be all. Lollipop is still pretty buggy, especially on older hardware.

I have a LG P930 that came with 2.3 Gingerbread. That was painful! 4.0 ICS was not much better. It got better when I switched to Cyanogenmod 4.2.2 Jelly bean. The phone can use Kit Kat ROMs, but the ROMs are too unstable, and Cyanogenmod really does not support the P930 that enthusiastically anymore. Still, I can run anything with stability with the 4.2.2 ROM, and it is certainty better than stock.

If you have a phone that can run Kit Kat reliably, there is no big issue staying there. Not like it is Gingerbread.
Actually there's a specific build of Custom CM build of Kitkat that's really stable. The stand by time ain't much better than it was stock but it's decent enough. I have it on my Bell P930.
Feb 12, 2007
189 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote: It's been 20 months since September 2013, not 14.
There were 14 months between when the G2 was released and when Lollipop was released... that really is pathetic support for a so-called flagship phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2518 upvotes
Halifax
tebore wrote: Actually there's a specific build of Custom CM build of Kitkat that's really stable. The stand by time ain't much better than it was stock but it's decent enough. I have it on my Bell P930.
I wonder if that build works with hdr camera plus https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... plus&hl=en Borks on Kit Kat with my P930, but works fine on 4.2.2
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1592 posts
1801 upvotes
Vancouver
This is great news, now lg phones will be cheaper
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1400 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
HyperTech wrote: i am talking about the wifi bug...each time the phone reset or power off, we have to enter again each wifi setting...
Root your phone and the fix for that problem is very simple.