Computers & Electronics

LG G Pad III Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2018 3:57 pm
Aug 7, 2004
62 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Does that mean the method won't work if you're already on 7.0?
mcfart wrote:
May 14th, 2017 7:26 pm
I'm using adoptable storage with a 32GB card. Had no issues thus far. Just used a sandisk class 10 UHS-1 micro SD. I applied adoptable storage using the guide at the start of this thread -BEFORE- upgrading to 7.0.

Rooting ain't gonna happen eh? :(
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7884 posts
488 upvotes
Scarborough
It works. My unit came with 7.0 and I used 70/30 (portable/adoptable) on Kingston UHS-1.
xsilver wrote:
May 14th, 2017 9:24 pm
Does that mean the method won't work if you're already on 7.0?
$35/5Gb & $40/6Gb - Kodoo
$40/4.5Gb & $120/120Gb/90days - Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1872 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
mcfart wrote:
May 14th, 2017 7:26 pm
Rooting ain't gonna happen eh? :(
That’s my only grief with this baby…
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16128 posts
12822 upvotes
Toronto
Great tablet. Picked up BNIB for $140 from Kijiji. Updated to Nougat with no issues. Using WiFi only. Grabbed $10 case/stand in Chinatown. 285 Spadina Ave.
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1400 posts
361 upvotes
So, what is the problem with rooting?
They say rogers locks the bootloader (vs t-mobile that does not), and h3nce it is not possible to root?
No expert, but can hardly believe that, I have one of my phones rooted with locked bootloader still...

How much Canadian bounty at xda has to increase, realistically, until some developer decides to crack it?
And how does it work? One pays now, or pledges to pay in case of successfull rooting? Via paypal?

Now it is like $60 . I'd gladly contribute $20, but i'm guessing it needs certain momentum to boost the bounty to at least few hundred?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16619 posts
5170 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:
May 16th, 2017 8:07 am
So, what is the problem with rooting?
They say rogers locks the bootloader (vs t-mobile that does not), and h3nce it is not possible to root?
No expert, but can hardly believe that, I have one of my phones rooted with locked bootloader still...

How much Canadian bounty at xda has to increase, realistically, until some developer decides to crack it?
And how does it work? One pays now, or pledges to pay in case of successfull rooting? Via paypal?

Now it is like $60 . I'd gladly contribute $20, but i'm guessing it needs certain momentum to boost the bounty to at least few hundred?
It is a dead end. If there has been no success by now, there will never be.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2734 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:
May 16th, 2017 8:07 am
I was wondering that myself
will888 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:25 pm
It is a dead end. If there has been no success by now, there will never be.
Is that for technical reasons or lack of financial reward? I'm assuming technical since some people just like the challenge.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16619 posts
5170 upvotes
Toronto
ROYinTO wrote:
May 16th, 2017 8:16 pm

Is that for technical reasons or lack of financial reward? I'm assuming technical since some people just like the challenge.
From what I can tell, LG seems to be one of the tougher nuts to crack. The folks at xda are talented, but these guys are humans like everybody else. They love their craft but there is only so much they will do for nothing. Also because there isn't a Canadian who owns this tablet on the hit team, there really isn't much of the I love a challenge motivator. Often members who do this kind of stuff own the device.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2734 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 8:29 pm
They love their craft but there is only so much they will do for nothing. Also because there isn't a Canadian who owns this tablet on the hit team, there really isn't much of the I love a challenge motivator. Often members who do this kind of stuff own the device.
Are there enough members here that would like to pool resources - grab one off kijiji to send to the powers that be? A free LG Gpad III plus the potential of a bounty might motivate somebody over at xda. I'd be in for $20.

Six more donors plus shipping should do it.
May 15, 2017
51 posts
12 upvotes
Where is the best place to buy this from? Rogers or Best Buy? Whichever would have better customer service for warranty issues

I wanted to buy one off Craigslist but nobody can provide receipt and lg warranty policy already seems strict about second owners for honouring warranty as is
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16619 posts
5170 upvotes
Toronto
No interest whatsoever in paying a bounty for bootloader unlock here. There is no rom support. Within another 6 months, Fido will likely be flogging the LG GPad 4. This device will just have to be used within the limitations of no root and stock rom.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1569 posts
310 upvotes
I am fine with no root. Done a million rom with my old asus tablet, not much needs to be changed, we are on the latest Android O.S, no software issues like RRs, gps etc.

Constant rom updates, wipes are a pain in the arse. Just wished you could change themes with LG like samsung but nothing pressing. Nothing broken, nothing 2 fix.
May 15, 2017
51 posts
12 upvotes
Hey guys, bit nervous to buy second hand, even new in box after reading lg'a warranty policy regarding second ownership. If I was to buy new outright, would it be better to get from my carrier or bestbuy? Who would offer better support incase of warranty issues?

Thanks
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13790 posts
6182 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
astrotrain wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:42 pm
I am fine with no root. Done a million rom with my old asus tablet, not much needs to be changed, we are on the latest Android O.S, no software issues like RRs, gps etc.
+1

These days rooting can actually have serious downsides, e.g. Netflix will no longer work on rooted Android devices and Android Pay no longer works if you unlock your bootloader, and that's a good thing. Both of these restrictions can be removed by techsavvy users, but the message is clear: This is going to be another whack-a-mole game.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1400 posts
361 upvotes
bylo wrote:
May 17th, 2017 7:26 am
+1

These days rooting can actually have serious downsides, e.g. Netflix will no longer work on rooted Android devices and Android Pay no longer works if you unlock your bootloader, and that's a good thing. Both of these restrictions can be removed by techsavvy users, but the message is clear: This is going to be another whack-a-mole game.
Wow. What a bummer. Okay, no root for this tabby, then! ;)

My netflix apps seem to work still on both rooted and non-rooted as of today... version 4.x I think... So, it is not recommended to update netflix on the rotted devices anymore, or therr is a workaround?