• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2018 3:57 pm
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1390 posts
361 upvotes
bylo wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:51 am
Evidently that's sufficient for that bank's lawyers. It may not be sufficient for other banks' lawyers.

One bank's discount brokerage website accepts only 6 character passwords. (AFAIK that's BMOIL.) Evidently that's sufficient for their lawyers. But obviously it's not sufficient for the vast majority of others. Should we nevertheless be guided by that one bank's example?

Absolutely. The vast majority of users of banking systems aren't computer or security savvy. They don't need a rooted phone. They wouldn't know if their phone was rooted. They don't understand the potential security implications of using a rooted phone. So for their protection (and the mutual protection of their bank) the blocking of rooted phones is indeed "user-centered." Or to put it another way, I don't consider the needs of people like you and me and many others on this thread to be representative of the sorts of users that your comment about "user-centered" is generally applied to with respect to consumer devices.
Ok, yeah, sure, I agree, there are many actors with competing interests, so a whack-a-mole game will continue :)
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
16241 posts
7319 upvotes
Kitchener
Tichi wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:09 am
Heh.. exactly what i'm saying - corporate greed, is not it? :)
That's one way to look at it, another way to look at it is how it affects product price tag, needless to say manufacturers will be offloading all these "extra" support costs to end users.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1390 posts
361 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:22 am
That's one way to look at it, another way to look at it is how it affects product price tag, needless to say manufacturers will be offloading all these "extra" support costs to end users.
But we agreed earlier that rooting invalidates the warranty, so then where the "extra support costs" come from?
If a customer returns rooted phone, the warranty is simply refused, is not it?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
16241 posts
7319 upvotes
Kitchener
Tichi wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:59 am
But we agreed earlier that rooting invalidates the warranty, so then where the "extra support costs" come from?
If a customer returns rooted phone, the warranty is simply refused, is not it?
This is easily said than done for manufacturers that don't offer a root/warranty exchange program.
Support would actually need to process the RMA just to know whether the device is rooted/modded or not, this might get tricky/time intensive especially if the device is bricked, not to mention that most reputable manufacturers will send a replacement unit once RMA is verified (not fully processed) or even before that. Furthermore, if you take unrooting into account there would be cases where a customer roots a device, takes it out of specs (say overclocking CPU) causing a permanent hardware damage (say thermal instability) then unroot it, reinstall official firmware and send it for RMA.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16589 posts
5142 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:38 pm
This is easily said than done for manufacturers that don't offer a root/warranty exchange program.
Support would actually need to process the RMA just to know whether the device is rooted/modded or not, this might get tricky/time intensive especially if the device is bricked, not to mention that most reputable manufacturers will send a replacement unit once RMA is verified (not fully processed) or even before that. Furthermore, if you take unrooting into account there would be cases where a customer roots a device, takes it out of specs (say overclocking CPU) causing a permanent hardware damage (say thermal instability) then unroot it, reinstall official firmware and send it for RMA.
Manufacturers can apply harsh policies like absolutely no warranty once bootloader is unlocked. I appreciate where they are coming from. Someone who doesn't know what they are doing installs something errant, the phone doesn't work and he wants to use warranty to bail him out. There are instances where hardware failure has nothing to do with root or bootloader unlock. They need to have flexibility in handling such cases.

A buddy who bought into the Oppostyle sale last year around this time had to return a device due to the touch screen failure. The phone was rooted, running custom rom, and of course there was no way to restore to oem because the touchscreen was not working. Oppo provided a full refund because the failure was 100% hardware failure. This is the sign of a good manufacturer, one that you would have confidence in doing business with. Too bad Oppo left North America, I would buy their products again in a heart beat.

Look at LG and their infamous bootloop problems with numerous G phones. They gave equally faulty phones to replace the faulty ones in hopes that the warranty would expire and they can slam the door in the customers face. They are facing a class action suit in the US.
May 15, 2017
51 posts
12 upvotes
Just wanted to add my personal thoughts to the thread as a recently new owner to this tablet. Honestly this is a pretty awesome little piece of hardware for the cost. Really no complaints here, screen is very sharp, very responsive to browse and type on, great for Netflix as well. All around for a tablet that's easily found for under $200 new, it's hard to fault. Biggest con is it's camera, but could care less, didn't buy for it for a camera. Good enough if you really need to grab a quick photo for something and it's on hand.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1390 posts
361 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:38 pm
This all sounds like lame excuses from a support staff of corps? No care about customers here? Heheh just kiddin
Jan 24, 2015
96 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal, QC
astrotrain wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 11:22 am
If you don't want to install a sim how do you turn off mobile connection? I can't find that option and mobile searching is draining the batt. I see it is the same drain as screen on time.
You need to get and leave an unactivated Fido or Rogers SIM in your Tabette (new or used). Than you go in Settings, "Mobile data" and flip "Mobile data" off.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13685 posts
6102 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
SylvainQC wrote:
May 25th, 2017 8:53 pm
You need to get and leave an unactivated Fido or Rogers SIM in your Tabette (new or used). Than you go in Settings, "Mobile data" and flip "Mobile data" off.
Or if you don't have a SIM card, put the tablet into Airplane mode, then manually turn on WiFi and Bluetooth. You'll get a reminder that you're in Airplane mode every time you boot the tablet but that's a minor annoyance.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1390 posts
361 upvotes
SylvainQC wrote:
May 25th, 2017 8:53 pm
bylo wrote:
May 25th, 2017 9:01 pm
Or if you don't have a SIM card, put the tablet into Airplane mode, then manually turn on WiFi and Bluetooth. You'll get a reminder that you're in Airplane mode every time you boot the tablet but that's a minor annoyance.
These two things are NOT equivalent, are they?
Because even you disable mobile data in android, your tablet will still continue seeking SIM card (for voice/text etc), and thus wasting your battery?

I wonder, though, whether disabling data separately before going to airplane mode will mean any difference in the settings / battery saving?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13685 posts
6102 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tichi wrote:
May 26th, 2017 12:37 pm
These two things are NOT equivalent, are they?
Because even you disable mobile data in android, your tablet will still continue seeking SIM card (for voice/text etc), and thus wasting your battery?

I wonder, though, whether disabling data separately before going to airplane mode will mean any difference in the settings / battery saving?
With no SIM in my LG G Pad, Settings -> About tablet -> Network shows "Service state: Radio off" and "Mobile network state: Disconnected." Also in Settings -> Wireless networks -> More, "Mobile networks" is completely greyed out. Perhaps the OS does continue to look for a SIM periodically and perhaps that does consume some additional battery power. But regardless, the improvement in battery life by going into Airplane mode (even with WiFi enabled and connected to a router) is substantially increased.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Jan 24, 2015
96 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bylo wrote:
May 25th, 2017 9:01 pm
It was not a minor annoyance for me. That's why I got a SIM for a couple of bucks.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13685 posts
6102 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
SylvainQC wrote:
May 27th, 2017 1:34 pm
It was not a minor annoyance for me.
Chacun à son goût.
That's why I got a SIM for a couple of bucks.
An infinitely cheaper option for those who can afford to wait a couple weeks for delivery: [Roam Mobility] Free SIM Card for Orchard Users.

[No need to be an Orchard user. Make sure to select Nano SIM card size.]
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]