LG G Pad III Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 3:12 pm
Oct 19, 2011
310 posts
57 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:14 am
Perhaps LG may cover it , worth calling them to ask?

Wait, so is it pointless to call Fido? Is it not done through them? I feel like my chances with LG directly are bad since my phone tech numbers are faded (white sticker on back) and I lack recept/box. At least with Fido they know I got a G Pad via contract.
Last edited by mcfart on Aug 5th, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2008
761 posts
170 upvotes
mcfart wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:16 am
Wait, so is it pointless to call Fido? Is it not done through them?
Actually it is not, since they have a record of a tablet on your plan (if it the case), but I've read it somewhere that they will redirect younto a LG repair centre anyway.
Oct 19, 2011
310 posts
57 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:19 am
Actually it is not, since they have a record of a tablet on your plan (if it the case), but I've read it somewhere that they will redirect younto a LG repair centre anyway.
I'm pretty sure LG won't help since I lack all the recepts/white sticker on back being faded =(. I really liked this tablet, and it suddenly just stopped working. Was using Fongo so I can't communicate either...
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10163 posts
3100 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I would contact Fido to get proof of purchase. Then ask about repairs. My understanding is that they'll send you to LG (who like most phone manufacturers uses a third party to do repairs.) But at least now you have proof that the device is less than a year old.

The repair facility will want to see the tablet before they decide if it's eligible for repair under warranty. They should be able to retrieve your SIM. Hopefully they don't then lose it somewhere along the line. All of this could take weeks and there's no guarantee of free repair.

Another option, if all else fails, is to try a DIY repair. It's possible the cause of the problem is obvious, e.g. a cable that's come unplugged or a wire that's broken. You can get info on opening up the tablet here: LG G Pad 8.3 Repair. Of course if you open up the tablet first you void the warranty. But at least you'll have retrieved the SIM.

P.S. The $50 GC was a promotion from BB. It has nothing to do with Fido.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 19, 2011
310 posts
57 upvotes
Omg I actually got it back by doing a hard reset via http://www.hardreset.info/devices/lg/lg-g-pad-iii-80/ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other guides I read said volume up should be held, but volume down worked. Now I gotta hope that I can walk to a Fido branch and they can pull out my nano SIM without actually breaking anything. Thanks guys! :)

If Fido laughs at me, can I safely go to any "cell phone repair" kiosk and have them do it for $5? Or will they charge more than that lol?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3304 posts
418 upvotes
Did anyone get their referral credit yet from last year's promo? I signed up in Dec.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3200 posts
530 upvotes
recordman wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 12:36 pm
Did anyone get their referral credit yet from last year's promo? I signed up in Dec.
Long ago. Around the 2 month mark after I signed.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Oct 19, 2011
310 posts
57 upvotes
Update: paid $25 (sadly) for a cell phone repair shop to take out my SIM. told them i was still under warrenty and to not take it apart. They got it out and it still works. Problem solved. I dunno if my tablet will last the year considering that weird glitch, which mite be related to overheating which is especially an issue when it's 30 celsious outside in Vancouver atm. I'm just glad everything still works...I really like this tablet. Perfect size, great screen, good speed etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
mcfart wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:17 pm
Update: paid $25 (sadly) for a cell phone repair shop to take out my SIM. told them i was still under warrenty and to not take it apart. They got it out and it still works. Problem solved. I dunno if my tablet will last the year considering that weird glitch, which mite be related to overheating which is especially an issue when it's 30 celsious outside in Vancouver atm. I'm just glad everything still works...I really like this tablet. Perfect size, great screen, good speed etc.
I always have problem getting the SIM out of this tablet. It usually took me quite a few tries with a safety pin to scratch the outer surface of the SIM (still visible from outside ~1 mm) to drag it out.
The design sucks. But most handy people (I do not claim to be one) should have not much problem
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12952 posts
2886 upvotes
Toronto
Taking the SIM card out of this tablet is a charm compared to the Sony Xperia Z3 compact tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7550 posts
1183 upvotes
London
Picked up an used one (suppose to be bought in June/17 according to seller's fido receipt) without the charger for $150 yesterday. A little bit more than I would like to pay but it is the only one available locally. Anyway, unlocked it for $3.99 using mobifree and will test the pc mobile sim with grandfathered 25 cents per day data plan with it once I pick up a nano version.

Since all my chargers are only 500ma to 1a, need to buy a charger for it, what is the rating on the original charger? I read it is 1.8a. Thanks.

By the way, will the sim holder, it is not hard to take the sim out, only thing is not to lose it.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10163 posts
3100 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
apvm wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 5:15 am
Since all my chargers are only 500ma to 1a, need to buy a charger for it, what is the rating on the original charger? I read it is 1.8a.
It doesn't matter. I've never used the 1.8A charger that came with the G Pad. It's still in the box.

Your existing 500mA to 1A chargers will work just fine, although they'll charge slower. Likewise higher rated chargers, e.g. 2A, will work fine too although they won't charge any faster than the official charger. So if you're about to buy a new charger it's OK to err on the high side.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
apvm wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 5:15 am
Anyway, unlocked it for $3.99 using mobifree and will test the pc mobile sim with grandfathered 25 cents per day data plan with it once I pick up a nano version.
FYI even though the SIM is marked nano, it is actually micro in size. It is not a big deal as an adapter is needed.
I dare not try it. If you put a nano SIM there, you may have real problem yanking it out. I have no clue how to do it at all.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7550 posts
1183 upvotes
London
danieltoronto wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 9:40 am
FYI even though the SIM is marked nano, it is actually micro in size. It is not a big deal as an adapter is needed.
I dare not try it. If you put a nano SIM there, you may have real problem yanking it out. I have no clue how to do it at all.
When I unlock it , I use an old nano sim from Virgin mobile, the nano fit in the holder and no problem with it. Not sure how I can fit a micro sim in the holder.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
apvm wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 9:57 am
When I unlock it , I use an old nano sim from Virgin mobile, the nano fit in the holder and no problem with it. Not sure how I can fit a micro sim in the holder.
The SIM size is micro as I mentioned for my G Pad III. No clue why it marks "nano" which is wrong.
Is it possible that just happens to my batch?
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan