LG G Pad III Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2021 12:01 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
9613019 wrote: FutureTel wants to charge $350 on repairs for a device only cost $240 (same price a year ago) at Fido/rogers? That's a profitable business model.
It's not just FutureTel. It's a fact of life in the consumer electronics business model. Check out the price of a motherboard replacement in a notebook PC or an LCD panel replacement in a TV. Once the product is out of warranty it's generally better to just replace it with the current model. You not only get new, improved features and a new warranty but you'll probably pay less than doing a repair.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
cats_on_burners wrote: There is no root for the lg g pad 3 or 4. The claim that you rooted your device is 100% bull.
TRUE.
++++++++++++++
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
9613019 wrote: FutureTel wants to charge $350 on repairs for a device only cost $240 (same price a year ago) at Fido/rogers? That's a profitable business model.
What would the dummies at FutureTel actually do to repair? They are full of you know what.
++++++++++++++
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5203 posts
2486 upvotes
Vancity
inhaliburton wrote: What would the dummies at FutureTel actually do to repair? They are full of you know what.
Why would they need to? $350 for repairs on a $240 device. Just give the customer a new unit; it's quicker.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
2882 posts
356 upvotes
GVR
Thanks NewsyL for another reference to contact.
I was irate when LG Canada tweeted to my response, repeating that their 3rd party technician had found the device to be rooted. I have submitted complaints directly to various provincial and federal agencies as well for them to look into the incident. I do not appreciate being blamed when rooting is not even possible as you guys have pointed (along with the XDA community).
It makes you think twice about buying LG products, ever.
My Heatware - My Heatware
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
coolman217 wrote: I was irate when LG Canada tweeted to my response, repeating that their 3rd party technician had found the device to be rooted.
It should be dead easy for them to prove it. There are apps that can display whether or not an Android device is rooted, e.g. Root Checker. Let them post a screen shot of your device where such app shows it's rooted.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Is it just my subjective impression, or the screen acquiers some sort of pink hue or tint with time?
It is uniform across the screen, no spots or anything like that. I've superficially heard abuut "burning out" ... Is that it?

(I'm aware of "comfort mode", which filters out some blue, but here I'm talking about full color mode).

P.S. hehe hope "futuretel" are now in trouble ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3659 posts
1647 upvotes
Toronto
I think I was lucky with FutureTel. My tablet had the bootloop issue and I sent it to FutureTel for repair at the end of warranty period. They changed the motherboard and I got it back in a week.
Zoomer Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
9613019 wrote: I think I was lucky with FutureTel. My tablet had the bootloop issue and I sent it to FutureTel for repair at the end of warranty period. They changed the motherboard and I got it back in a week.
:) Maybe because in the case of bootloop there was not way for them to charge u extraa using such lame reason as "tablet is rooted".
What reported above is a blatant cheating.. Can it be even classified as "fraud"? They clearly tried to rip a customer off their money.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3659 posts
1647 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote: :) Maybe because in the case of bootloop there was not way for them to charge u extraa using such lame reason as "tablet is rooted".
What reported above is a blatant cheating.. Can it be even classified as "fraud"? They clearly tried to rip a customer off their money.
If they want, they can have other reasons. When I checked the online review, I saw someone had a Sumsung phone for warranty repair and FutureTel claimed it was water damaged. I checked many reviews about FutureTel and was hesitate to get my tablet fiexed. Finally the bootloop issue became so bad that I would take the risk. If they refused to do warranty repair, I may just let it go and make some complaints.

I think there are many issues with FutureTel and LG warranty.

1. FutureTel should not charge that $35 fee to customers. Manufacturers should cover the cost.

2. FutureTel does not have the right to keep the tablet if a customer does not pay the $35 bill as the value of the tablet is much higher than $35.

3. FutureTel should provide more customer services at their repair shop.

4. LG should have more repair partners so that customers can choose the one with better reviews.

5. LG should inform customers the $35 fee when customer made the warranty claim.

6. If there is any additional repair cost (including the $35), LG should be the only contact party for cutomers. FutureTel may have agreement with LG, but it has nothing to do with customers. It is LG's choice, not customers' choice to send devices to FutureTel for repair. LG just let FutureTel to charge extra fees so that LG does not need to take any reponsibilities. However, poeple are buying LG products and need LG services (including warranty repair), not FutureTel products.

In this case, I think LG is the party to blame as they are reponsible to choose the quality repair shop. When a customer is not satisfied with FutureTel's claim, LG should have their own technician to verify and show cutomer the proof. Currently, FutureTel has the absolute advantage over customers and LG has no control over it.

Who is the looser? It is LG as its reputation is impaired. FutureTel does not even care about reputation from customers when they have such a low score on Google reviews.
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
9613019 wrote: 6. If there is any additional repair cost (including the $35), LG should be the only contact party for cutomers. FutureTel may have agreement with LG, but it has nothing to do with customers. It is LG's choice, not customers' choice to send devices to FutureTel for repair. LG just let FutureTel to charge extra fees so that LG does not need to take any reponsibilities. However, poeple are buying LG products and need LG services (including warranty repair), not FutureTel products.
Moreover if the phone maker acted as the intermediary between their customers and FutureTel, then the phone maker could track resolutions, i.e. know what percentage of warranty claims (a) were the result of legitimate device problems, (b) were user errors and (c) were rejections for stuff like water damage, rooting, etc. That would not only give them a better indication of a service provider who creates false reasons for rejecting warranty claims, it would also help identify manufacturing problem areas, parts suppliers with high defect rates, areas in their user interface and documentation that need improvement, etc.

One could also make the case that the carrier who provided the product, in this case Fido, is also responsible.
In this case, I think LG is the party to blame as they are reponsible to choose the quality repair shop. When a customer is not satisfied with FutureTel's claim, LG should have their own technician to verify and show cutomer the proof. Currently, FutureTel has the absolute advantage over customers and LG has no control over it.
Agreed. I suspect this applies to all of the phone makers and carriers who use FutureTel.
Who is the looser? It is LG as its reputation is impaired.
Also the carrier, in this case Fido.

P.S. One more general question: Why should rooting void the warranty in the first place? There are many legitimate reasons for rooting a phone, e.g. to run certain backup programs. There needs to be some additional evidence that rooting actually caused damage to the product.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
recordman wrote: Why would they need to? $350 for repairs on a $240 device. Just give the customer a new unit; it's quicker.
Exactly, that's what I meant. Nobody fixes anything anymore. They just throw parts at it or replace. FutureTel are HOSERS.
++++++++++++++
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
"2. FutureTel does not have the right to keep the tablet if a customer does not pay the $35 bill as the value of the tablet is much higher than $35."

The tablet belongs to YOU and MUST be returned to you. Otherwise, the Hosers at FutureTel must refund to you the purchase price.
++++++++++++++
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you not think that FutureTel will return it if threatened..... in pieces.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5581 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
It happens all the time; other repair centers as well….Anyone has a story or two. I recall my problem with Olympus; they claimed that “send got into the camera” and it, of course, voids warranty. Rubbish, cuz camera was used exclusively for studio and interior work.

I sold it for cheap “for parts” and the guy who came to pick it up told me it was a well known problem with some burnt resistor; even offered to repair it for me, but at that point I was done with Olympus for good.

Bad service and poor support often result in people avoiding certain brands forever and ever. LG should think twice when stories like this reach them…

Edit:

Hmmm… On the second thought, after all these years: maybe that guy [or someone close to him] was working for that repair store??? Silly me...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
NewsyL wrote: Do you not think that FutureTel will return it if threatened..... in pieces.
Do not accept if not intact.
++++++++++++++
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1070 posts
164 upvotes
is bootloop actually common on LG G Pad III? I just had an LG G3 dying...
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3659 posts
1647 upvotes
Toronto
uruha wrote: is bootloop actually common on LG G Pad III? I just had an LG G3 dying...
I had the issue with my G Pad III.
Carry Tel Internet
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
For those looking for a protective sleeve for the LG Gpad III or IV, I'm using this with the III I have, and just ordered another for the IV.
Nice snug fit. 3 colours.
Seems to be real leather, but not sure.
15.99$ with shipping.

https://www.ceocase.com/products/lg-g-p ... =786429519
++++++++++++++
Aug 30, 2009
456 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
Any recommendation for the screen protector ? Just to avoid my kid spills his food on the screen ...