LG G Pad III Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 3:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7550 posts
1183 upvotes
London
Is there a notification led with this tablet? Don't see it while charging. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1079 posts
421 upvotes
Vancouver
apvm wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 5:15 am

By the way, will the sim holder, it is not hard to take the sim out, only thing is not to lose it.
Just FYI: Be careful with that thing, my SIM holder crumbled in 3 pieces maybe second time I pulled the SIM card out.. Now all the pieces are taped back to the SIM card and it works like that…
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7550 posts
1183 upvotes
London
max011 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 1:28 pm
Just FYI: Be careful with that thing, my SIM holder crumbled in 3 pieces maybe second time I pulled the SIM card out.. Now all the pieces are taped back to the SIM card and it works like that…
Too bad, unlike HTC phones which provide a spare one in box, LG only has one and I heard it is hard to obtain another one from LG, at least this message was from the seller and he told me to be careful not to lose it.
Oct 19, 2011
310 posts
57 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 10:23 am
Is there a notification led with this tablet? Don't see it while charging. Thanks.
No LEDs. If tablet's on, screen will turn on when you plug in charger.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7550 posts
1183 upvotes
London
mcfart wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 2:58 am
No LEDs. If tablet's on, screen will turn on when you plug in charger.
Thanks.
Oct 19, 2011
310 posts
57 upvotes
So is there any chance this will get future software updates? Guess it's good it got Nougat, but it was released in 2016 lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1371 posts
104 upvotes
mcfart wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:02 pm
So is there any chance this will get future software updates? Guess it's good it got Nougat, but it was released in 2016 lol.
Unlikely. That's why some of us were hoping for a root/unlocked bootloader situation. Lineage OS is available for the T-Mobile (v521) version of this tablet, which has been rooted. The Rogers/Fido version is v522, but no root method found.

Lineage OS was previously Cyanogenmod, and generally gets updated.
Oct 19, 2011
310 posts
57 upvotes
kitty wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 4:40 am
Unlikely. That's why some of us were hoping for a root/unlocked bootloader situation. Lineage OS is available for the T-Mobile (v521) version of this tablet, which has been rooted. The Rogers/Fido version is v522, but no root method found.

Lineage OS was previously Cyanogenmod, and generally gets updated.
I see. Too bad :(.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10163 posts
3100 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mcfart wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:02 pm
Apart from catering to a small number of "enthusiasts" I'm not sure why LG would bother. Standard apps like Chrome, Gmail, etc., will continue to run fine on Nougat for years to come. Most consumers don't bother to upgrade to new OS unless forced to. (Consider for example people who still run Win XP and Vista as installed on their desktops when new, oblivious to newer versions of Windows that have come out since. Nevertheless the vast majority of their programs continue to run just fine.)

That said, it makes no sense why LG made it so difficult to root this model. If they did it at Robbers' behest then that too makes little sense, even if they intended all along to make it a freebie with a cheap data plan rather than sell it for $240.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2535 posts
375 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
It is now safe to upgrade to nougat? mine is still running the stock 6.0.1 that came with it. I heard some bad experiences with nougat originally but are they all fixed now?
May 5, 2008
761 posts
170 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 8:36 am
It is now safe to upgrade to nougat? mine is still running the stock 6.0.1 that came with it. I heard some bad experiences with nougat originally but are they all fixed now?
Nougat is just fine, subjectively it makes tabby noticeably faster.
Wifi is a bit finicky, but that applies both to MM and Nougat.
For wifi to be stable (esp. on 5 GHz), one needs to set "wifi always on", which reflects badly on battery life.
But I just turn off wifi between uses now, and everything else is amazing.

I have not even hard-reset the tabby after update, just cleared the cache, maybe hard-reset will give it even more boost?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7550 posts
1183 upvotes
London
Anyone ordered screen protector from ebay works with this tablet? Can you share the link? TIA