LG G Pad III Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 4:08 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7711 posts
1217 upvotes
London
This tablet is so good that I bought 4 from Kijiji for the family, two new $150 each and two used at $90 each.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2648 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouver
Easto wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 1:35 am
Would this be a good option for school age children?

Looking for a tablet option for school programs (abc mouse, math prodigy, etc)

Something they can grow into and eventually load other apps: Facebook, Netflix, etc.
Define "good option".
I personally think it's overkill for abc mouse, math prodigy etc., but to each his/her own ...
Easto wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:48 am
Is there any other tablet I should be looking at? Obviously Ipad is in the running, but I don't have a Mac computer and I don't know if the price tag is justifiable.
Yeah, you should definitely go for an iPad ... with no case, preferably, so when your kid drops it on the floor you can invest in a new one.
/facepalm
May 5, 2008
898 posts
206 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 11:25 am
This tablet is so good that I bought 4 from Kijiji for the family, two new $150 each and two used at $90 each.
+++ I'd buy a few more at that price range.. are they still available on kijiji etc?
Aug 22, 2009
655 posts
64 upvotes
My hope is they are still using it 5 years down the road. if it was for immediate use and only for a year I would get a LeapPad type tablet.

I'd prefer something that will provide long term use.

And yes I'd have a case on them
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10525 posts
3342 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
charlesd79 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 2:15 pm
Define "good option".
I personally think it's overkill for abc mouse, math prodigy etc., but to each his/her own ...

I'd prefer something that will provide long term use.
Keep in mind that for many on this thread the LG G Pad was a freebie that came with Fido's 3GB/$15 per month for 2 years promo. (The SIM and data plan are in our phones and the G Pad is being used WiFi-only.) For me the deal seemed too good to pass up even if I didn't, and still don't, have a particular use for the tablet.

In that sort of situation, the G Pad at $0 beats every other option even if it's "overkill" for school kids and/or lasts only a couple of years.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7711 posts
1217 upvotes
London
Tichi wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 4:02 pm
+++ I'd buy a few more at that price range.. are they still available on kijiji etc?
No idea, I bought them in the summer.
Aug 22, 2009
655 posts
64 upvotes
If I had to buy a tablet (not $0) for this purpose which would you suggest?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2648 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:10 pm
Keep in mind that for many on this thread the LG G Pad was a freebie that came with Fido's 3GB/$15 per month for 2 years promo. (The SIM and data plan are in our phones and the G Pad is being used WiFi-only.) For me the deal seemed too good to pass up even if I didn't, and still don't, have a particular use for the tablet.

In that sort of situation, the G Pad at $0 beats every other option even if it's "overkill" for school kids and/or lasts only a couple of years.
I did the same thing, but this deal is long gone, so his/her question is moot in regards to the 0 "price" you and me paid for it. (I actually managed to get a BB $50 gift card on top :razz: )
Getting back on topic, even $50, the price they ask now for a 2 year commitment, is a good price, so in regards to this I guess the answer would be "yes, it's a good tablet" :)
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2648 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouver
Easto wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 8:55 pm
My hope is they are still using it 5 years down the road. if it was for immediate use and only for a year I would get a LeapPad type tablet.
Technology evolves so fast that 5 years is an eternity. Be thankful if you'll get 3 years out of it. I mean, I still have my HP Touchpad from 6 years ago, it's still turning on, I can still use some apps (like e-mail, a veeeeeeeeeeery slow browser, a music player, photo viewer), but it's stuck on Android 4 ... that's like using Windows XP on a PC today, if you know what I mean.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2648 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouver
Easto wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 11:51 pm
If I had to buy a tablet (not $0) for this purpose which would you suggest?
Sorry, I don't know the answer. Myself, I buy the cheapest brand name stuff, either new or refurbished, since I consider electronic devices being disposable.
Maybe this, if you're able to find a $25 off coupon
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computer ... /108043626
Maybe others can chim in ...
Oct 19, 2011
377 posts
88 upvotes
charlesd79 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 12:46 am
Technology evolves so fast that 5 years is an eternity. Be thankful if you'll get 3 years out of it. I mean, I still have my HP Touchpad from 6 years ago, it's still turning on, I can still use some apps (like e-mail, a veeeeeeeeeeery slow browser, a music player, photo viewer), but it's stuck on Android 4 ... that's like using Windows XP on a PC today, if you know what I mean.
As long as it can download the latest apps from Google Play, you're good. AKA can update Chrome etc.

Google's trying to fix issues with Android manufactorer updating with Treble.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7711 posts
1217 upvotes
London
The only downside of this tablet is once updated to 7.0, 5ghz wifi is very sensitive to 5ghz wifi signal strength, best to use 2.4ghz only.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2732 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
charlesd79 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 12:46 am
I still have my HP Touchpad from 6 years ago, it's still turning on, I can still use some apps (like e-mail, a veeeeeeeeeeery slow browser, a music player, photo viewer)
lol, my kids use it to cast youtube/netflix. it's been a workhorse
FS/FT: none atm
May 5, 2008
898 posts
206 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:22 pm
No idea, I bought them in the summer.
A few remain in Ontario, close to $200 - used, and over $200 - new ones (up to $350 ! ;) ).

Ouch! It seems this tablet is (was) a little hidden gem.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7711 posts
1217 upvotes
London
Tichi wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 4:27 pm
A few remain in Ontario, close to $200 - used, and over $200 - new ones (up to $350 ! ;) ).

Ouch! It seems this tablet is (was) a little hidden gem.
Since my job requires me to travel a bit during summer, I was able to pick up some bargain within southern and south western Ontario, picked up one $150 sealed from Toronto seller, another from a seller in Chatham. A used $90 from Hamilton and a used $80 from Strathroy. There were quite a lot to choose from during summer, average price for sealed were $150-200 and used were under $100.