463 upvotes
Vancouver
Only a few rows up....

max011 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:03 pm
Amazon.ca is almost local! :-)

Just received this case [for my second G Pad]

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06X99 ... UTF8&psc=1

Oh boy, it's a champ - for rough handled Pad - a.k.a. my! :-)

My wife has one like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Pad-Pasonomi%C2%A ... d+III+case

and it is very, very good too...

Edit: Don't forget tempered glass screen protector if you go w/the first option! [Not needed w/Folio cases IMHO.]
https://www.amazon.ca/protector-Pasonom ... +Protector
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Oct 19, 2011
411 posts
110 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 1:38 pm
Hmmmm..... Not bad at all if your FreeWind LTE coverage is in place:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/freedom ... n-2143812/
The G Pad IV is weird though. The SD 435 is about the same as the 617 in the G Pad III, so I don't know why they switched SoCs, and the 3000mAh battery is a huge downgrade. But it comes with a kickstand mod that adds a speaker and a battery pack....so I guess it depends on how good that mod is?

If I was looking for one of these, I might still wait for Fido to respond with a free G Pad III. The SD 435 is, from what I read, the same to the SD 617. Though if you have good Freedom coverage in your area, then it's probably a good deal.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10832 posts
3533 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mcfart wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 8:51 am
Though if you have good Freedom coverage in your area, then it's probably a good deal.
Even that depends on usage. If you put the SIM in a smartphone, as many/most are doing, and travel then you'd have to compare Freedom's coverage with Fido/Robbers. I suspect that comparison wouldn't end well for Freedom.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 19, 2011
411 posts
110 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 8:56 am
Even that depends on usage. If you put the SIM in a smartphone, as many/most are doing, and travel then you'd have to compare Freedom's coverage with Fido/Robbers. I suspect that comparison wouldn't end well for Freedom.
It really woulden't. They are pressuring people to get this plan since it's limited time BUT:
1. Freedom brings back promos all the time, literally.
2. Fido will likely have a free G Pad III sometime this year, on the better Rogers Network
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10832 posts
3533 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Exactly my point. Also Fido has faster speeds and offers free extended roaming on Bhell/Telus across Canada where there are no Robbers towers.

Also worth checking when doing a comparison is whether Freedom restricts usage in any way, e.g. must be a tablet, no tethering, no VoIP, etc. Fido doesn't have any such restrictions.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1220 posts
463 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 9:04 am
Exactly my point. Also Fido has faster speeds and offers free extended roaming on Bhell/Telus across Canada where there are no Robbers towers.

Also worth checking when doing a comparison is whether Freedom restricts usage in any way, e.g. must be a tablet, no tethering, no VoIP, etc. Fido doesn't have any such restrictions.
If the history is a teacher, FreeWind will only choke you down after you go over your allotted data. No extra $$$

You are free to use your SIM card with anything: hub, cell, tablet, tethering included, VOIP works [depending on your signal quality, of course] in other words same as Fido. Except the network..

I have their 1GB/$10 SIM in my G Pad [cost is actually $5 w/"Better together" saving and got free Hub worth $99 at that time] In Vancouver - wherever I go - it is pretty acceptable on 3G so I'd believe that LTE would be even better but YMMV... Can't check tho, have nothing w/Band 66 LTE...
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10832 posts
3533 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Good to know. Thanks.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1220 posts
463 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 9:04 am

Also, forgot to add: With FreeWind SIM you are also getting unrestricted access to any of countless ShawOpen Wi-Fi spots in Canada... and these are pretty stable and fast connections in my experience...
Dec 26, 2010
197 posts
33 upvotes
I am also interested in buying one (specially new). If somebody with a good deal can PM great
Dec 26, 2010
197 posts
33 upvotes
garce wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 10:38 pm
I am also interested in buying one (specially new). If somebody with a good deal can PM great
I ended up buying a a used one.
It is on nougat. Battery is not great though. Drained 1% per hour when not in use (overnight) with wifi on
Any tips on how to improve it?
Last edited by garce on Dec 3rd, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13270 posts
3041 upvotes
Toronto
max011 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 4:08 pm
Also, forgot to add: With FreeWind SIM you are also getting unrestricted access to any of countless ShawOpen Wi-Fi spots in Canada... and these are pretty stable and fast connections in my experience...
Be mindful that most RFD members are from the GTA. What are ShawOpen Wi-Fi spots? For someone serious about getting a data plan to complement a free tablet, freedom is not an alternative to Fido. Those wanting this tablet over edition IV, it's still possible to get it, but it could be a bit of an Easter egg hunt. I am sure a few obscure kiosks still have old stock.
Nov 9, 2009
609 posts
89 upvotes
Picton, ON
will888 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 10:18 am
...Those wanting this tablet over edition IV, it's still possible to get it, but it could be a bit of an Easter egg hunt. I am sure a few obscure kiosks still have old stock.
The Fido kiosk at the Belleville Mall said he had Gpad IIIs in stock when I tried to get a IV.
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1007 posts
237 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 10:18 am
Be mindful that most RFD members are from the GTA. What are ShawOpen Wi-Fi spots? For someone serious about getting a data plan to complement a free tablet, freedom is not an alternative to Fido. Those wanting this tablet over edition IV, it's still possible to get it, but it could be a bit of an Easter egg hunt. I am sure a few obscure kiosks still have old stock.
inhaliburton wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:53 pm
The Fido kiosk at the Belleville Mall said he had Gpad IIIs in stock when I tried to get a IV.
Oh, damn.. Just got a Gpad IV. If I only knew that Gpad III was still available... Seems much better tabby overall ...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)