• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 2:58 pm
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1010 posts
237 upvotes
coolman217 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:35 am
Pretty pissed off right now. LG told me to submit my tablet in to FutureTel for a warranty repair as it was showing phantom/ghosting touches. Received response from FutureTel: customer tampered - mainboard rooted. They wanted me to pay $350+ in repair fees or pay $35 analysis fee to have the device returned or they will keep it. This is a nightmare. Why should I be responsible for something that I did not do? This is very unethical and makes you think twice before buying an LG product.
Wow, that's outrageous! Those dudes "futuretel" are just a bunch of shameless crooks, as Gpad III has never been rooted!

Is there a way to retaliate via filing a formal complaint to CCTS commissioner?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cats_on_burners wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:44 am
There is no root for the lg g pad 3 or 4. The claim that you rooted your device is 100% bull.
Excellent point! I'd forgotten that. The inability to root the Canadian version of the G Pad has been discussed on these threads as well as at xda-developers.com, e.g. Canadian v522 custom support? That should be enough to catch FutureTel in a lie.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 30, 2008
638 posts
248 upvotes
Yeah, for sure.
There are app that can be used for testing root access, like root checker.
Ask for a proof of the root, there is no way they will be able to show a legit proof.
They are trying to scam you, Im 100% sure of it.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3364 posts
437 upvotes
If FutureTel knows how to root the G Pad 3/4, I'm sure we'll pool thousands of dollars to pay for the bounty. To start off, I'll put $20 into the pot.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
2294 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
FutureTel wants to charge $350 on repairs for a device only cost $240 (same price a year ago) at Fido/rogers? That's a profitable business model.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan + Knowroaming sticker
Carry Tel 25M Fiber
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
9613019 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:45 pm
FutureTel wants to charge $350 on repairs for a device only cost $240 (same price a year ago) at Fido/rogers? That's a profitable business model.
It's not just FutureTel. It's a fact of life in the consumer electronics business model. Check out the price of a motherboard replacement in a notebook PC or an LCD panel replacement in a TV. Once the product is out of warranty it's generally better to just replace it with the current model. You not only get new, improved features and a new warranty but you'll probably pay less than doing a repair.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 9, 2009
609 posts
90 upvotes
Picton, ON
cats_on_burners wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:44 am
There is no root for the lg g pad 3 or 4. The claim that you rooted your device is 100% bull.
TRUE.
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
Nov 9, 2009
609 posts
90 upvotes
Picton, ON
9613019 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:45 pm
What would the dummies at FutureTel actually do to repair? They are full of you know what.
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3364 posts
437 upvotes
inhaliburton wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:25 pm
What would the dummies at FutureTel actually do to repair? They are full of you know what.
Why would they need to? $350 for repairs on a $240 device. Just give the customer a new unit; it's quicker.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
2738 posts
147 upvotes
GVR
Thanks NewsyL for another reference to contact.
I was irate when LG Canada tweeted to my response, repeating that their 3rd party technician had found the device to be rooted. I have submitted complaints directly to various provincial and federal agencies as well for them to look into the incident. I do not appreciate being blamed when rooting is not even possible as you guys have pointed (along with the XDA community).
It makes you think twice about buying LG products, ever.
My Heatware - My Heatware
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
coolman217 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 3:15 am
I was irate when LG Canada tweeted to my response, repeating that their 3rd party technician had found the device to be rooted.
It should be dead easy for them to prove it. There are apps that can display whether or not an Android device is rooted, e.g. Root Checker. Let them post a screen shot of your device where such app shows it's rooted.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1010 posts
237 upvotes
Is it just my subjective impression, or the screen acquiers some sort of pink hue or tint with time?
It is uniform across the screen, no spots or anything like that. I've superficially heard abuut "burning out" ... Is that it?

(I'm aware of "comfort mode", which filters out some blue, but here I'm talking about full color mode).

P.S. hehe hope "futuretel" are now in trouble ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
2294 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
I think I was lucky with FutureTel. My tablet had the bootloop issue and I sent it to FutureTel for repair at the end of warranty period. They changed the motherboard and I got it back in a week.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan + Knowroaming sticker
Carry Tel 25M Fiber
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1010 posts
237 upvotes
9613019 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:05 am
I think I was lucky with FutureTel. My tablet had the bootloop issue and I sent it to FutureTel for repair at the end of warranty period. They changed the motherboard and I got it back in a week.
:) Maybe because in the case of bootloop there was not way for them to charge u extraa using such lame reason as "tablet is rooted".
What reported above is a blatant cheating.. Can it be even classified as "fraud"? They clearly tried to rip a customer off their money.