• Aug 23rd, 2019 3:23 am
Dec 26, 2010
364 posts
78 upvotes
SW Ontario
Hemi558 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:19 pm
Negative, just for data transfer

Btw, I’ve tested several different browsers for this tablet and so far the fastest and fluid browser is the brave browser. Built in ad blocker as well
Thanks, I have purchased a cable from factory direct and it didn't charge it. I was not sure if problem was the cable
Jun 4, 2007
739 posts
74 upvotes
mfrania wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 11:39 am
Hello. New owner here. Is there a way to make this tablet remember the brightness setting? Every time I turn it on, it goes back to 100%. I found someone asking about this earlier in the thread but I could not find an answer. TIA.
I did some more research and came across the same issue with an LG phone. The fix was to insert a SIM card. Sure enough this seems to work as well with the G Pad however the SIM unlock screen pops up every time I start up the device now (because I don't have a Fido or Rogers card). I have no idea what the reasoning for this behaviour (the brightness being tied to the SIM card) is but I think it's simply idiotic.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16439 posts
8779 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mfrania wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:04 pm
I have no idea what the reasoning for this behaviour (the brightness being tied to the SIM card) is but I think it's simply idiotic.
Perhaps it's a bug, not a feature.

Anyone know if the G Pad IV works this way too?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3869 posts
761 upvotes
I don't know if this has been answered in this long thread, I think the Pad III we got from last year's promo was locked to Fido/Rogers. Can we ask Fido to unlock it without hassle?
signature closed for renovation
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16439 posts
8779 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
recordman wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:21 pm
Can we ask Fido to unlock it without hassle?
Give them a call. I can't see why they wouldn't now that CRTC mandates it.

I unlocked mine months ago using RFD's favourite site, https://www.mobifree.net/. It cost $5 IIRC. So that's worst case now if Fido gives you grief.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3227 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
recordman wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:21 pm
I don't know if this has been answered in this long thread, I think the Pad III we got from last year's promo was locked to Fido/Rogers. Can we ask Fido to unlock it without hassle?
I got the unlocking code through Fido Chat on Dec 1st.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Jun 4, 2007
739 posts
74 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:13 pm
Perhaps it's a bug, not a feature.
Yes, that would make more sense. I have an old Fido SIM card but I need to cut it to size. Hopefully it'll do the trick.
Jun 21, 2008
436 posts
102 upvotes
mississauga
9613019 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:46 pm
I got the unlocking code through Fido Chat on Dec 1st.
Same here, got the code thru chat, failed 2 times, got another lady on chat after about 4 days, another code and voila, no more locked tablet.I'm heavily invested in home automation with google home mini, ecobee3 and tp-link switches,plugs and bulbs so this is a great control centre
Jun 4, 2007
739 posts
74 upvotes
mfrania wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:04 pm
I did some more research and came across the same issue with an LG phone. The fix was to insert a SIM card. Sure enough this seems to work as well with the G Pad however the SIM unlock screen pops up every time I start up the device now (because I don't have a Fido or Rogers card).
Just a quick follow up on this (in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue): it seems you only need to insert the SIM card once and after taking it out, the tablet still remembers the brightness. This is good (but strange behaviour nonetheless).
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1641 posts
492 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 1:30 pm
... than it is here in the first-world's Great Canuckistani Telecom Oligopoly ;)
:) I can only imagine an anger of popular uprising against the Khans/Tczars of Canadian Telecoms.

"CNN Breaking News: "The CEO of Rogers is impaled on a cactus by Toronto protesters" :)

hehehe
Mar 11, 2011
733 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
mfrania wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 10:00 am
Just a quick follow up on this (in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue): it seems you only need to insert the SIM card once and after taking it out, the tablet still remembers the brightness. This is good (but strange behaviour nonetheless).
I can confirm this. Certainly strange, but I'm happy that it has solved the brightness glitch.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4436 posts
1324 upvotes
Kingston
If I plug in a thumb drive to the top can you set it up to work as internal storage? I know some devices can do that. I realize I would have to keep it plugged in, but I have a low profile drive so it wouldn't matter.
Or does it just work like a regular thumb drive just for transfering files over etc?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2955 posts
2762 upvotes
Vancouver
I won't bet my farm on it, however I think someone tried and said 'No'...

Just plug it in and try, it won't change ANYTHING before you explicitly tell it to do so, go on & don't be afraid...

EDIT:

Oh, MAKE SURE you don't have a SD card inserted at that time, tho....
"Totally fed up with that 'Political correctness' BS... If I don't like it - you will likely hear it. "
Q.T.
Oct 19, 2011
550 posts
158 upvotes
hd7870 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 6:41 pm
It doesn't support NFC right?
Nope. No Android Pay here. it's not a phone lol (but can be used as one with a VOIP service).