Computers & Electronics

LG G Pad III Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 3:23 am
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
Does anyone know how fast the read and write speeds are for the microsd card slot? Was going to pick up a media card and was wondering what speed I should get.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3869 posts
761 upvotes
WellHung wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 8:00 pm
Still no root? Lineage Support?
I highly doubt it would ever happen. It's not that a popular tablet.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1450 posts
160 upvotes
One of the reasons why this tablet has no root is because it's a Fido (or Rogers/Fido) specific model, so the user base for it is very limited. With so few users out there for this specific model, there are even fewer of us who both own the tablet and have the technical know-how of how to unlock the bootloader.

The T-Mobile variant of this tablet has been rooted from the get-go, but no one has been able to make those instructions work with our version.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2012
1175 posts
445 upvotes
Ottawa
The tablet is getting slower and slower, is this something a refresh will fix?

I also noticed that it reboots randomly when watching youtube.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2955 posts
2762 upvotes
Vancouver
WellHung wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:56 am
The tablet is getting slower and slower, is this something a refresh will fix?

I also noticed that it reboots randomly when watching youtube.
Factory reset might help. Also, look into Adoptable Storage.
"Totally fed up with that 'Political correctness' BS... If I don't like it - you will likely hear it. "
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2955 posts
2762 upvotes
Vancouver
bowmah wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 5:36 am
Does anyone know how fast the read and write speeds are for the microsd card slot? Was going to pick up a media card and was wondering what speed I should get.
It's faster that the cards you can get.

If you are looking into Adoptable Storage use, even the fastest ones [like Sandisk Extreme Pro] will hardly keep up, if at all. Some people around here did this, they might shed more light on the practical results...
"Totally fed up with that 'Political correctness' BS... If I don't like it - you will likely hear it. "
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1450 posts
160 upvotes
I generally found after enabling Adoptable Storage, apps installed on the microSD care are noticeably slower to start up. For what I do with it, that's not a huge problem. I think it's also a combination of the low RAM (1.5GB) on this device.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1465 posts
103 upvotes
I've had this tablet for 2 years and 2 months and no issues. I didn't install too many apps on it (hard to do with 16gb storage) but I still use it to edit RAW photos when I'm on vacation. There aren't too many tablets that have a full size USB port, not even Pad IV, and my DSLR doesn't have wifi or Bluetooth to transfer files so the USB port is very convenient.

For those complaining it's slow, try disabling background apps and Google sync (I only have Gmail sync enabled).
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2955 posts
2762 upvotes
Vancouver
fly wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 4:13 pm
I've had this tablet for 2 years and 2 months and no issues. I didn't install too many apps on it (hard to do with 16gb storage) but I still use it to edit RAW photos when I'm on vacation. There aren't too many tablets that have a full size USB port, not even Pad IV, and my DSLR doesn't have wifi or Bluetooth to transfer files so the USB port is very convenient.

For those complaining it's slow, try disabling background apps and Google sync (I only have Gmail sync enabled).
Essential apps, and you are golden... Full size USB is precious...

Remember someone here looking for $200+ bigger fast SD card cuz their 128GB adopted storage was full!!! And complaining tablet was slow! hahahahaha
Q.T.
Nov 6, 2014
220 posts
173 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Great to see a thread still alive after over two years ! I was intrigued by the tablet and the specs even though it is two years old. The recent BB/Fido clear-out got me started but I was too late to the party being a westerner (and it was the downgraded V4 anyway). Ordered a "new open box V3" on Ebay for not much more but after finding this thread after the fact I am a little concerned with the 16GB ROM as I did not realize there was so much bloatware. Planning to keep the added apps to a minimum but has anyone ever been successful in removing the bloatware by the XDA PC connection method or any other solution ?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18721 posts
6738 upvotes
Toronto
My GPad III is still chugging along quite nicely after just over 2 years of heavy duty service. The battery wear has been great. The slow down is showing but I am not sure whether this is an aging effect or simply the updated apps are just more demanding than the versions of two years ago. The limited internal storage is a bit of a hindrance as app size grows, but I would never use an external SD card to extend the memory as that is a guaranteed way of turning the tablet into a boat anchor. I got myself a replacement GPad IV since my one year free service was coming due. I have to say those who are concerned about the new tablet being a downgrade, it really isn't much of a concern. On specs, both have similarly capable CPUs. The smaller battery does result in less screen time, but the unit is so much lighter that the sacrifice is worthwhile. The IV has 32 gigs of internal storage which alleviates all concerns of running out of space. The memory is a lot faster which makes the overall tablet performance better. In comparisons, we all like to focus on the CPU but the internal storage performance is a huge part of the performance equation. The read speed on the IV is twice as fast.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1450 posts
160 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 10:29 am
My GPad III is still chugging along quite nicely after just over 2 years of heavy duty service. The battery wear has been great. The slow down is showing but I am not sure whether this is an aging effect or simply the updated apps are just more demanding than the versions of two years ago. The limited internal storage is a bit of a hindrance as app size grows, but I would never use an external SD card to extend the memory as that is a guaranteed way of turning the tablet into a boat anchor. I got myself a replacement GPad IV since my one year free service was coming due. I have to say those who are concerned about the new tablet being a downgrade, it really isn't much of a concern. On specs, both have similarly capable CPUs. The smaller battery does result in less screen time, but the unit is so much lighter that the sacrifice is worthwhile. The IV has 32 gigs of internal storage which alleviates all concerns of running out of space. The memory is a lot faster which makes the overall tablet performance better. In comparisons, we all like to focus on the CPU but the internal storage performance is a huge part of the performance equation. The read speed on the IV is twice as fast.
I want to upgrade to the LG GPad IV. Did you do it online or did you go a store? Do most Fido stores still have stock?

Should I be waiting for the LG GPad V (if such a thing exists or has been announced)?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18721 posts
6738 upvotes
Toronto
kitty wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 2:58 am
I want to upgrade to the LG GPad IV. Did you do it online or did you go a store? Do most Fido stores still have stock?

Should I be waiting for the LG GPad V (if such a thing exists or has been announced)?
It was an easter egg hunt for me to find stock. I had to make a number of phone calls. No online option. I have no clue whether there will be a new version of this tablet. Google search shows nothing. You might be waiting for vaporware.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
2415 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone can move apps to external sd? What app are you using to move apps?
I cannot move app unless I format the sd as internal memory