• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 12:01 pm
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver

LG G Pad IV Owners Thread

I love Fido $15 tablet data plan - used for my cellphone with VoIP service - I use TextNow. Free unlimited Canada/US call & Unlimited International text, but with Fido data plan it costs only $15/month.

Now, we have Black Friday deal - free LG G Pad IV with 24 month contract! Why not?

We have two service providers offering free LG G Pad IV, Fido $15 3gb or Freedom Mobile 4gb.

Fido LG G PAD IV at $0 with 3GB DATA PLAN
Freedom Mobile [HOT] FREE LG G Pad IV 8.0 (with 4GB Tablet $15 Plan)

In this thread, please feel free to discuss the actual device, LG G Pad IV, you got from Fido or Freedom here.

Happy RFDing!
Last edited by slpless on Nov 22nd, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.
34 replies
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
Some prefer the predecessor, LG G Pad III (2016), to G Pad IV (2017).

Here is a link for the spec comparison.

LG G Pad IV 8.0 FHD vs G Pad III 8.0 FHD

In my opinion, they are close call.

LG G Pad IV is 6% lighter, 13% thinner and 32gb ROM; however, 33% less battery size. The rest are insignificantly different.

Funny thing is that MRSP of G Pad IV is $336 when released, but that of G Pad III was $240. I am still puzzled why the price of G Pad IV is set way higher than G Pad III when released.

I had a choice between LG G Pad III and G Pad IV as it was within 15 days after I signed with G Pad III. It was a tough call, but I finally decided to go with G Pad IV.

After using G Pad IV, I felt I would never go back to G Pad III. I am not a heavy user, so battery is not a big concern. Actually, G Pad IV is well assembled and I like the final touch.

Anyway, it's all up to your preference and situation.
Last edited by slpless on Nov 22nd, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 26, 2014
24 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the VoIP app recommendation. I only knew fongo and textplus before. Did anyone get the accessory for this tablet, the one that can be attached to the tablet.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
jondeals wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 12:59 am
Thanks for the VoIP app recommendation. I only knew fongo and textplus before. Did anyone get the accessory for this tablet, the one that can be attached to the tablet.
I wonder, too. I tried to search where to find over the internet, but in vain.
May 15, 2017
45 posts
9 upvotes
slpless wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 9:51 pm
Some prefer the predecessor, LG G Pad III (2016), to G Pad IV (2017).

Here is a link for the spec comparison.

LG G Pad IV 8.0 FHD vs G Pad III 8.0 FHD

In my opinion, they are close call.

LG G Pad IV is 6% lighter, 13% thinner and 32gb RAM; however, 33% less battery size and 16gb RAM. The rest are insignificantly different.

Funny thing is that MRSP of G Pad IV is $336 when released, but that of G Pad III was $240. I am still puzzled why the price of G Pad IV is set way higher than G Pad III when released.

I had a choice between LG G Pad III and G Pad IV as it was within 15 days after I signed with G Pad III. It was a tough call, but I finally decided to go with G Pad IV.

After using G Pad IV, I felt I would never go back to G Pad III. I am not a heavy user, so battery is not a big concern. Actually, G Pad IV is well assembled and I like the final touch.

Anyway, it's all up to your preference and situation.
What exactly would make you not go back? Thing that bothered me was the lower spec processor and way smaller battery for a higher cost
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
Hemi558 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 11:08 pm
What exactly would make you not go back? Thing that bothered me was the lower spec processor and way smaller battery for a higher cost
I have to admit it was a tough call. Anyway, my G Pad III had a little squeaky sound when I grabbed. A little thick. G Pad IV is more comfortable to hold. Even though battery is 67% of that of G Pad IV, but it's not a big deal to me because I am not a heavy user.

Oh, one more. It has 32gb internal memory, so I don't have to buy a microSD card. I probably would had to buy one if I had stuck to G Pad III. :)

EDIT: 32gb RAM -> 32gb internal memory
Last edited by slpless on Nov 26th, 2017 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
May 15, 2017
45 posts
9 upvotes
Since I store lots of movies and shows on mine, I would have had to get a micro sd anyways so wasn’t much of a bother to me. All my apps fit on the internal storage no issue

Think for me it was the battery and processor downgrade that held me back. Aren’t exactly high end specs on these to begin with so not sure why LG decided to go backwards on that aspect of things. Even the screen to body ratio is worse on the newer model

Havent figured out why they priced it so much higher. I could easily see the price if it included the accessory dock with it.

Already a few popping up on Craigslist for about $200. Will wait and see if they drop lower and maybe pick up one for the kids since they keep trying to take over mine lol
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
Hemi558 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 3:35 am
Since I store lots of movies and shows on mine, I would have had to get a micro sd anyways so wasn’t much of a bother to me. All my apps fit on the internal storage no issue

Think for me it was the battery and processor downgrade that held me back. Aren’t exactly high end specs on these to begin with so not sure why LG decided to go backwards on that aspect of things. Even the screen to body ratio is worse on the newer model

Havent figured out why they priced it so much higher. I could easily see the price if it included the accessory dock with it.

Already a few popping up on Craigslist for about $200. Will wait and see if they drop lower and maybe pick up one for the kids since they keep trying to take over mine lol
100% agreed! I am also checking craigslist for another G Pad IV. :)
Oct 17, 2015
359 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga
slpless wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 12:40 am
I have to admit it was a tough call. Anyway, my G Pad III had a little squeaky sound when I grabbed. A little thick. G Pad IV is more comfortable to hold. Even though battery is 67% of that of G Pad IV, but it's not a big deal to me because I am not a heavy user.

Oh, one more. It has 32gb RAM, so I don't have to buy a microSD card. I probably would had to buy one if I had stuck to G Pad III. :)
It has 32gb of internal storage not RAM.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
SartajA735 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 10:45 am
It has 32gb of internal storage not RAM.
My bad. Thanks for the correction. Will update my post. :)
May 5, 2008
975 posts
225 upvotes
Hey Folks. does Gpad IV have gorilla glass or some sort of hardened glass coating on its screen?

Also, does it have a Phone app by any chance (i.e. capable of making phone calls)?
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
Tichi wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 5:45 pm
Hey Folks. does Gpad IV have gorilla glass or some sort of hardened glass coating on its screen?

Also, does it have a Phone app by any chance (i.e. capable of making phone calls)?
Only native text app, so not capable of making calls. VoIP app can be used though.
May 5, 2008
975 posts
225 upvotes
slpless wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 5:57 pm
Only native text app, so not capable of making calls. VoIP app can be used though.
thanks! what about gorillaa glass? Does screen feel slippery to touch?
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
Tichi wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 6:14 pm
thanks! what about gorillaa glass? Does screen feel slippery to touch?
No gorilla. :)
May 5, 2008
975 posts
225 upvotes
slpless wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 7:59 pm
No gorilla. :)
ouch.. Gpad III does have it (maybe not gorilla, but some species of that sort).

Are u sure? I cannot believe they bumped the price up to $300+ and att he same time left tempered glass coating out..
That would be a bummer! Then one needs to buy glassy screen protector for this tabby?