• Dec 7th, 2017 12:01 pm
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
Tichi wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:12 pm
ouch.. Gpad III does have it (maybe not gorilla, but some species of that sort).

Are u sure? I cannot believe they bumped the price up to $300+ and att he same time left tempered glass coating out..
That would be a bummer! Then one needs to buy glassy screen protector for this tabby?
The price of G Pad IV really puzzles me. My theory is that they set the price with plus pack originally. And then they forgot to discount when they made the plus pack optional. Who knows? :)
May 15, 2017
45 posts
9 upvotes
Wow, doesn't even have a hardened glass either? Definitely happy I didn't hold out for that model then.
May 5, 2008
982 posts
228 upvotes
Hemi558 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 3:28 am
Wow, doesn't even have a hardened glass either? Definitely happy I didn't hold out for that model then.
It iz quite possible that online specs are wrong, and Gpad IV indeed does have some sort of tempered glass coating (just not Gorilla).

Gpad III that I own now does have a Japanese glass coating (an Asahi brand if i recall), though its online specs were also messed up.

I cannot imagine a modern tablet/phone without tempered glas coating, like those cheapo chinese items with plasticky screens from years ago...

If the screen feels very smooth and slippery and does not leave smudges of finger grease, than it is probably tempered glass...
May 5, 2008
982 posts
228 upvotes
slpless wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:53 pm
The price of G Pad IV really puzzles me. My theory is that they set the price with plus pack originally. And then they forgot to discount when they made the plus pack optional. Who knows? :)
Should we then expect an offer of free Gpad IV + free plus pack with data-only plan, for Boxing day or so? :)
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
Tichi wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 8:38 am
It iz quite possible that online specs are wrong, and Gpad IV indeed does have some sort of tempered glass coating (just not Gorilla).

Gpad III that I own now does have a Japanese glass coating (an Asahi brand if i recall), though its online specs were also messed up.

I cannot imagine a modern tablet/phone without tempered glas coating, like those cheapo chinese items with plasticky screens from years ago...

If the screen feels very smooth and slippery and does not leave smudges of finger grease, than it is probably tempered glass...
The last slight hope seems gone.

It's not slippery and leaves finger prints. :(
May 5, 2008
982 posts
228 upvotes
slpless wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 10:58 am
The last slight hope seems gone.

It's not slippery and leaves finger prints. :(
Shite! ;(
May 5, 2008
982 posts
228 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:02 pm
Shite! ;(
P.S. One can still buy a tempered glass screen protector for under a $10, which will do the job, bu that's like returning in the Neanderthal era ;)

Cannot believe LG played this dirty (literally! :) ) trick on their customers!
May 5, 2008
982 posts
228 upvotes
P.S.S. To console all those currently quietly weeping over their non-glassy Gpad IVs, :)

internet reports indicate that the same tabby branded at t-mo in the States as GPad X2 8.0 Plus V530
does have a have a "scratch resistant screen" which most probably means the same story as with Gpad III - an Asahi glass, close equivalent of Gorilla...
Nov 9, 2009
603 posts
83 upvotes
Picton, ON
I went with the Fido 3 gb / free LG gpad IV promo yesterday (Monday Nov 28).

Will I receive a confirmation via email from Fido?

Wondering because last year I went with the same 3 gb / LG gpad III promo and it got screwed up royally. Can't remember if I got a confirmation or not.

Regards, Paul.
inPicton, ON
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
inhaliburton wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 9:42 pm
I went with the Fido 3 gb / free LG gpad IV promo yesterday (Monday Nov 28).

Will I receive a confirmation via email from Fido?

Wondering because last year I went with the same 3 gb / LG gpad III promo and it got screwed up royally. Can't remember if I got a confirmation or not.

Regards, Paul.
inPicton, ON
This year I upgraded my phone through Fido call centre and signed for a free tablet from a Fido store.

In both transactions I got confirmations via email.

You will get one, too. :)
Nov 9, 2009
603 posts
83 upvotes
Picton, ON
slpless wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 11:45 pm
This year I upgraded my phone through Fido call centre and signed for a free tablet from a Fido store.

In both transactions I got confirmations via email.

You will get one, too. :)
Thanks, slpless.

Do you recall how long after your order you got the email confirmation? When it was shipped or before being shipped? It's been 24 hrs and have not received.

Regards, Paul.
in Picton, ON
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
70 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
inhaliburton wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:04 am
Thanks, slpless.

Do you recall how long after your order you got the email confirmation? When it was shipped or before being shipped? It's been 24 hrs and have not received.

Regards, Paul.
in Picton, ON
I got an email on "things to know about device order" on the same day that I ordered. And then, three hours later, I received email confirmation about the change. Then, I got shipment confirmation after another three hours. All of these happened within 24 hours.

It sounds weird that you didn't receive within 24 hours of your order. Maybe due to Black Friday delays?
Nov 9, 2009
603 posts
83 upvotes
Picton, ON
slpless wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 8:53 am
I got an email on "things to know about device order" on the same day that I ordered. And then, three hours later, I received email confirmation about the change. Then, I got shipment confirmation after another three hours. All of these happened within 24 hours.

It sounds weird that you didn't receive within 24 hours of your order. Maybe due to Black Friday delays?
I got an email this morning (Wednesday the 29th) indicating the tablet is BACK ORDER.

In another thread on Redflagdeals, someone went to 2 or 3 outlets and was told they ran out of Gpad IVs. Go figure...
Mar 29, 2011
813 posts
74 upvotes
The Bestbuy where I got mine seemed to have quite a bit of stock. I didn't get any confirmation emails from Fido, only from Bestbuy. It took over 10 hours before I could access the new tablet plan (with contract on fido.ca) using my old email address with the standalone tablet plan.

I still don't have my first bill yet, debating if I should cancel my standalone tablet plan now.
何も捨てることができない人には何も変えることはできないだろう~
Nov 9, 2009
603 posts
83 upvotes
Picton, ON
What are the details of your "standalone tablet plan?"