• Jul 21st, 2017 1:45 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 10:51 pm
i am not 100% sure ...
i just looked at the bos and the activation bonus of $160 is there and my tab is $240 ... so i guess i am not paying $400 for the phone ... right?
Correct. The phone is $400 less $160 activation bonus from Koodo because you got $240 tab for the phone. You paid $0 upfront.
But if you pay $230 upfront using pc point, the tab balance will be $10
[$400 - $160 Koodo activation bonus - $230 redeeming 230k pc point = $10 tab balance]
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly payment.
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
2x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer $72 family plan for 2 numbers
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 10:51 pm
i am not 100% sure ...
i just looked at the bos and the activation bonus of $160 is there and my tab is $240 ... so i guess i am not paying $400 for the phone ... right?
That's correct. It's tab small. Koodo will never ask you to pay back the "activation discount". If you agree to a tab small, you will never pay more than that, assuming you ride out the 90 days. I think someone on RFD got clawed back on activation discount after cancelling on day two, but that could arguably be fought via CCTS. You're riding out the 90 days anyway, so it's a non-issue.
embguy wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 10:57 pm
Correct. The phone is $400 less $160 activation bonus from Koodo because you got $240 tab for the phone. You paid $0 upfront.
[$400 - $160 Koodo activation bonus - $230 redeeming 230k pc point = $10 tab balance]
To my knowledge, Koodo won't let you pay the tab upfront anymore and collect the activation incentives...they used to (back when I took a Moto X Play on my first Koodo line I had that option). Unless it's save the tax at TMS, you're better off paying off the tab through an AB number anyway :D

Also, TMS won't let you pay towards a Koodo phone with PC points. Your math assumes there's no sales tax as well.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Jul 13th, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3453 posts
335 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 10:57 pm
oh ok ... i misunderstood ... now i got it ... :)
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 11:01 pm
That's correct. It's tab small. Koodo will never ask you to pay back the "activation discount". If you agree to a tab small, you will never pay more than that, assuming you ride out the 90 days. I think someone on RFD got clawed back on activation discount after cancelling on day two, but that could arguably be fought via CCTS. You're riding out the 90 days anyway, so it's a non-issue.

To my knowledge, Koodo won't let you pay the tab upfront anymore and collect the activation incentives...they used to (back when I took a Moto X Play on my first Koodo line I had that option). Unless it's save the tax at TMS, you're better off paying off the tab through an AB number anyway :D

Also, TMS won't let you pay towards a Koodo phone with PC points. Your math assumes there's no sales tax as well.
You may be correct. After the TMS CSR completed my activation with $80 upfront payment, the Koodo contract was still showing $240 tab. But online shows $160 tab. TMS CSR had to call Koodo to adjust the Koodo contract to show that I paid $80 upfront.

It does not matter to me as I live in AB. My tax is still 5% if I pay it now or later.
On second thought, it may be better to leave it later to leave room for referral credits within next 3 months.

BTW, I paid $14.50 cash for the SIM ($10.5) and the tax for the $80 upfront fee ($4).
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
In the past, I always did hardware upgrade on my existing Koodo plan and did not need to switch to seasonal hold.
What is best excuse, which works, to get the seasonal hold?
Can I do it tomorrow or wait until my first invoice?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3453 posts
335 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 11:24 pm
In the past, I always did hardware upgrade on my existing Koodo plan and did not need to switch to seasonal hold.
What is best excuse, which works, to get the seasonal hold?
Can I do it tomorrow or wait until my first invoice?
i think there are 2 strategies ... 1 is just to hang up until you get a rep that will do it for you unconditionally without reason ...
the 2nd is to just tell them you don't need to use the phone until 3 months later because you are going for a long vacation ...

i used the 2nd strategy for my first 2 phones ... :)

i would do it before the first billing cycle ... but after you have received confirmation of your referral credit ... you should receive an email confirming that you have indeed qualified to receive the credit ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1163 posts
287 upvotes
I'm not too familiar with PC points and all that, but on the TMS web site it shows up to 200k points, what do you mean by '75k today'? Also, how does the referral work? Somebody that is already with Koodo has to provide contact info?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
notfromqc wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:29 pm
I'm not too familiar with PC points and all that, but on the TMS web site it shows up to 200k points, what do you mean by '75k today'? Also, how does the referral work? Somebody that is already with Koodo has to provide contact info?
It's an extra 75k pts today. It's a thousand points to the dollar to redeem (meaning 200k pts = $200 to spend on groceries, Joe Fresh, etc.)

You need someone with Koodo to send you a referral. Get the referral email first, then sign up, then complete the email offer with the new Koodo number. If you plan on switching to an AB number, wait until your number change is complete to complete the refer a friend offer with the new AB number to get the referral credit faster.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
I received congrats email from Koodo saying I will get my $50 statement credit for yesterday G4 activation.
I found out that 275k pc pts is still available today. I self-refer myself for another G4 today.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
embguy wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 8:38 pm
I received congrats email from Koodo saying I will get my $50 statement credit for yesterday G4 activation.
I found out that 275k pc pts is still available today. I self-refer myself for another G4 today.
Koodo is paying you to take the phone :D
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1163 posts
287 upvotes
Ok, sorry for the newb follow-up. I'm new to PC Points and mobile service in general (I have 7-11 only, lol)

Let's see if I understand the steps:
1) Sign up for PC Points. Done, I now have the app on my Moto E2. Do they have wifi at TMS?
2) Get friend with Koodo to refer me
3) Go to TMS and sign up for Koodo $30/month plan with Tab small
4) Switch to AB number, wait for number change (how long should this take?)
5) Complete referral to receive credit
6) Cancel after 3 months.

Where do you see how much extra PC Points there are for the day? I don't see it in the app
How does it work in terms of cash flow? ie how much upfront and what happens at 3 months from now?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3453 posts
335 upvotes
notfromqc wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:39 pm
Ok, sorry for the newb follow-up. I'm new to PC Points and mobile service in general (I have 7-11 only, lol)

1) Sign up for PC Points. Done, I now have the app on my Moto E2. Do they have wifi at TMS?

Where do you see how much extra PC Points there are for the day? I don't see it in the app
How does it work in terms of cash flow? ie how much upfront and what happens at 3 months from now?
1. depends on the TMS store ... most do have wifi ... but you don't need it to sign up for new phone there.

2. yes, ask someone who is already a koodo postpaid customer with room for additional referral to give you his/her referral link, then you just click on the link to redeem the referral bonus.
This must be done before activating your new phone/plan with koodo.

3. in general, yes, but you may need to evaluate on a case by case basis which tab is the most advantageous to you ... so far, i have only sign up for tab small.

4. for the AB #, you should try to convince the TMS store to give it to you when you activate your phone there. NOT all TMS store can or willing to do that.
If you cannot get the AB # at the TMS store, you should wait for your referral bonus to be confirmed first before changing it because the referral bonus depends on the phone # activation.
You can DIY using selfserve on koodo website to change the phone #.

5. First see #4 above. The referral bonus will only be credited to your account after a period of up to 8+ wks ... and you must keep yr account active for at least 30 days iircly to receive the bonus.

6. I think you can cancel on day 91 to prevent any clawback ... once your account is closed, you will be responsible for all outstanding balance ... the big item is the tab ...

For the pc pts, normally you will only get those pc pts you see on TMS website.
Sometime, they offer "incremental" bonus pts which are not advertised ... that's why you must follow certain deal addicts here on rfd ... if and when we found any good/hot deal ... we will post them here.

in term of cashflow, basically it depend on which tab you choose, ... so you can basically workout your cashflow ahead of time ... but i always pay with a CC so cashflow has not been a problem ... so far ...
Last edited by ValueHunter999 on Jul 14th, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
notfromqc wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:39 pm

Your steps are collect. Make sure that you accept the Koodo referral and receive Koodo email telling you to go to store to get a plan/phone. If you missed this step, it will be too late after activation.
Since you just started with PC-Plus program, you don't have any points to redeem. Your first phone will be $0 upfront and get a phone on medium or small tab. You pay $10+tax for a SIM card.

From TMS website, you can find out how much pc points that you will be getting for each phone. You need to talk to your local TMS store to find the bonus pc pts over what is on their website OR from RFD hot deal forum.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1163 posts
287 upvotes
Ok than you both for the info.

For the cashflow, sorry I wasn't clear. It's not that I can't deal with the cash flow, what I wanted to verify is how you can use the PC Points. In other words, once you activate with Koodo you start getting invoices from them, and now you have all this money in the form of PC Points, can you use the PC Points directly against Koodo invoices (at TMS locations)? I don't want to have to pay out of pocket and end up with points to spend at Loblaws.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
notfromqc wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 7:50 am
Ok than you both for the info.

For the cashflow, sorry I wasn't clear. It's not that I can't deal with the cash flow, what I wanted to verify is how you can use the PC Points. In other words, once you activate with Koodo you start getting invoices from them, and now you have all this money in the form of PC Points, can you use the PC Points directly against Koodo invoices (at TMS locations)? I don't want to have to pay out of pocket and end up with points to spend at Loblaws.
You cannot use PC pts to pay Koodo monthly invoice after activation. The PC pts is only good at Loblaw, RCSS, NF etc.

If you don't want to spend the point, don't get deals at TMS. Watch for deals at WOW Mobile with trade in credit.