• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2017 1:45 am
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1163 posts
287 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:36 am
You cannot use PC pts to pay Koodo monthly invoice after activation. The PC pts is only good at Loblaw, RCSS, NF etc.

If you don't want to spend the point, don't get deals at TMS. Watch for deals at WOW Mobile with trade in credit.
Ah, bummer. Thanks for confirming.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3453 posts
335 upvotes
notfromqc wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 7:50 am
Ok than you both for the info.

For the cashflow, sorry I wasn't clear. It's not that I can't deal with the cash flow, what I wanted to verify is how you can use the PC Points. In other words, once you activate with Koodo you start getting invoices from them, and now you have all this money in the form of PC Points, can you use the PC Points directly against Koodo invoices (at TMS locations)? I don't want to have to pay out of pocket and end up with points to spend at Loblaws.
at this point in time, i think the pc pts can be used mostly in superstore chain ... only ...
if you don't buy grocery from that chain, then it could become a problem ...

one way to resolve this problem may be to sell your pc pts ...
just ask the tms rep to put the pc pts on the pc-plus card ... and then exchange it for cash with relatives who shop there ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 1:35 pm
at this point in time, i think the pc pts can be used mostly in superstore chain ... only ...
if you don't buy grocery from that chain, then it could become a problem ...

one way to resolve this problem may be to sell your pc pts ...
just ask the tms rep to put the pc pts on the pc-plus card ... and then exchange it for cash with relatives who shop there ...
Since pretty much everyone buys groceries, PC pts are certainly more useful than a bestbuy gift card (unless you're planning a purchase there).

What I do is as I redeem the points, I make an installment (payment) via online banking to my Koodo account for the same amount. Since this is money I budgeted to spend on groceries anyway, it works out.

Unlike other carriers, you cannot overpay your Koodo account in advance via credit card. Pay them in installments via online banking when you redeem the points, and never see a bill (or manage it however you like). Even if you could redeem PC points towards prepaid credit cards (you used to), this would be mostly useless for Koodo.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 11:39 pm
i think there are 2 strategies ... 1 is just to hang up until you get a rep that will do it for you unconditionally without reason ...
the 2nd is to just tell them you don't need to use the phone until 3 months later because you are going for a long vacation ...

i used the 2nd strategy for my first 2 phones ... :)

i would do it before the first billing cycle ... but after you have received confirmation of your referral credit ... you should receive an email confirming that you have indeed qualified to receive the credit ...
I called today and I was told to wait for 30 days before I can switch to seasonal hold.

IIRC form my old Koodo account, I can only change my plan 1 time per billing period. Since I created a new account, I cannot change it during the first partial billing period. I will call back again on Monday which is the next billing period start date.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly payment.
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
2x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer $72 family plan for 2 numbers
Jul 29, 2007
402 posts
103 upvotes
North America
Just to let everyone know, you can actually "self refer" or refer anyone AFTER they have activated. For those who forget, just do refer yourself. I got two G4's during last months deal and I forgot about the referral. Thinking I lost it, I did a referral for my second line anyways just to check. It worked! Got an email a couple of days authorizing that referral and I pocketed a double ended referral ($25/$25 first line), ($25 2nd line).

Note: TMS and WOW are the best two boutiques to purchase these as TMS has the extra points and WOW has the trade in credit.
Question: Has anyone been able to TMS price match a trade in credit from WOW? If that is the case, you totally score with an amazing deal.
I haven't tried, but that really does mean, you get "paid" or "get a free device" by getting the phone off the Mobile Shop re-seller and Koodo.
Best RFD Purchases: Flight Deals, Cell/Laptops/Tablets, Clothing/Shoes.
Thanks to RFD for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
Saltywetguy wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 6:29 pm
Just to let everyone know, you can actually "self refer" or refer anyone AFTER they have activated. For those who forget, just do refer yourself. I got two G4's during last months deal and I forgot about the referral. Thinking I lost it, I did a referral for my second line anyways just to check. It worked! Got an email a couple of days authorizing that referral and I pocketed a double ended referral ($25/$25 first line), ($25 2nd line).

Note: TMS and WOW are the best two boutiques to purchase these as TMS has the extra points and WOW has the trade in credit.
Question: Has anyone been able to TMS price match a trade in credit from WOW? If that is the case, you totally score with an amazing deal.
I haven't tried, but that really does mean, you get "paid" or "get a free device" by getting the phone off the Mobile Shop re-seller and Koodo.
I tried. WOW will not PM TMS pc pts. The answer I got was they don't give out pc pts. I think that is just an excuse.
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
@embguy call again and talk to someone else until you get the seasonal hold.

Wow's price matching policy is limited to any other retailer in the same mall, and unlikely you'll find TMS and Wow in the same mall (it's rare to find PC grocery stores at malls anyway).

TMS will most likely refuse to price match Wow because you get waaaayyyy more in PC pts., even after a wow trade-in.

I once got a price match at TMS on Wow's trade-in only because the gift cards were the same, only Wow would have given the $50 extra on a trade-in.

TMS trade-in's comes out of their kiosk revenue, so they don't like doing it too often. They might even refer you to Wow if it's too much of a gap.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
I will call every day until I get seasonal hold for both numbers.
Jul 29, 2007
402 posts
103 upvotes
North America
embguy wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 11:15 pm
How did you ask? I mean, I did it the first try like others have....
Tell them you're going "away" for 3 months and need it on hold.
That's what I did, one call was the end of it. Hope it works out.
Jul 29, 2007
402 posts
103 upvotes
North America
Anyone know if this deal still is available? I should call and ask... but a tad busy.
I want to get another two to complement the previous two I got last month.
*argh...grr...* don't like the credit hit, but oh wells, if there must be another credit check...so be it...
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3453 posts
335 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 11:15 pm
well, today i got lucky and managed to place both lines on seasonal hold ...
was told that it will start next billing cycle ... but the next billing cycle starts in 1 days ...
(ie., there is only 1 day left in my current cycle ... Smiling Face With Sunglasses )
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Saltywetguy wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 2:48 pm
Anyone know if this deal still is available? I should call and ask... but a tad busy.
I want to get another two to complement the previous two I got last month.
*argh...grr...* don't like the credit hit, but oh wells, if there must be another credit check...so be it...
Credit check is only done once, when you open the account. The trick is to keep the account alive by adding lines before you cancel your last one so you always keep cycling active service.

If your account is new, you can only go up to three lines with Koodo. Once you've been an account holder for over 90 days, you can burst up to five or six lines.
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 3:42 pm
well, today i got lucky and managed to place both lines on seasonal hold ...
was told that it will start next billing cycle ... but the next billing cycle starts in 1 days ...
(ie., there is only 1 day left in my current cycle ... Smiling Face With Sunglasses )
Strange, they always do it effective immediately for me. I guess depends on who you talk to...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6755 posts
7425 upvotes
No luck today.
The CSR was trying to change it but was not successful. He put me on hold to check to talk to someone. I was told to wait 90 days compared to 30 days yesterday. Try it again tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3453 posts
335 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 4:00 pm
Credit check is only done once, when you open the account. The trick is to keep the account alive by adding lines before you cancel your last one so you always keep cycling active service.

If your account is new, you can only go up to three lines with Koodo. Once you've been an account holder for over 90 days, you can burst up to five or six lines.

Strange, they always do it effective immediately for me. I guess depends on who you talk to...
i m sure they have yr posters in every cube in those call centers ... since you are such great customer with all the business you are giving them ...
i m sure if i can keep up, i will earn my badge soon too ... :twisted:
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 4:12 pm
i m sure they have yr posters in every cube in those call centers ... since you are such great customer with all the business you are giving them ...
i m sure if i can keep up, i will earn my badge soon too ... :twisted:
Good thing is their on-shore call centre is in downtown Montreal, far from any TMS. Customer service has no idea how many PC points you get for these phones :-D