Tags:
None
Mar 7, 2012
12 posts
4 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

LG or Samsung Washer/Dryer?

I am trying to decide between these two:

1) LG3470 I have found some good reviews and a great deal $1600 for the pair of floor models (at HD). They are usually $2450 or $2000 on sale. It is now discontinued so I don't know if that makes a difference.

2) Samsung WF42H5700AG This is a new model and I can't find any reviews, but previous generations appear to be well reviewed. They usually go for $2600, but I've been given a $1600 quote from Billa Appliances. The Samsung has a self-cleaning cycle and has a slightly higher capacity (4.8/7.4 cubic feet vs 4.6/7.3).

HELP, I need advice before both of them disappear!
35 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Ok samsung, because their brand has a better rep.
Mar 7, 2012
12 posts
4 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Thanks, Hugh, Ive been reading RFD & belonged for a few years now. That link about LG parts being hard to get is a good reminder. LG has the best rep for not needing repairs (washers only, not necessarily other appliances; Samsung is number 2), but maybe the worst for getting needed repairs done. I am giving up on my Eatons Viking 5 & 6 pair: ED309. They are collapsing from age, beyond repair unless I bring them into an auto shop! I am now leaning toward the Samsung, except they are deeper than the LG by just less than 4" and I'm not sure they will fit.
Jul 17, 2014
97 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The Samsung seems like a good deal. I would be worried about going with the LG only because it is discontinued and there's no telling if the parts will be difficult to find for the amount of time that you plan on having the machines.
Aug 13, 2011
770 posts
371 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
Have Samsung washer and dryer that were top of the line when I got em in 2010.
Less than one month past the 1 yr warrantee period, dryer started rattling and vibrating really loudly.
Samsung told me it sucks to be me and it'll cost $120 to have a guy show up at my house.
If he does anything beyond LOOKING, it'll cost extra on top of that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
LG and Samsung both have good washers but Samsung Dryer isn't as reliable as LG according to Consumer Reports survey.

I was doing the same research last yr and got the LG 3470 pair for $1300 at lowes incl a 10% off with email newsletter subscription. So I would look around and keep the lowes 10% in your pocket. Btw very happy with set so far.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
hdom wrote: This is top load. OP is asking about front load.
true, but don't think it matters. It about the materiel they use, LG has become better over the years so not sure if this still holds true. I myself just went Maytag.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Not sure what happened with that example but read up on consumer reports, while new high end Maytag ratings are pretty high but the reliability is much lower than LG front load, which is the best one now according to their survey.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
My friends bought new Samsung washer/dryer. The dryer has not been working properly from day one, literally within the first week! They would not replace it but have kept sending repair men out to service it. This has probably happened half a dozen times in the last 8 months that they have had it. Samsung refuses to replace the lemon.
That's my 2cents worth
Mar 7, 2012
12 posts
4 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Well this makes me very sad, because I haven't seen a price anywhere near that and since most stores have sold out of that LG model and it's apparently no longer being made, my chances of getting a deal like that are pretty slim.
Jul 7, 2010
805 posts
109 upvotes
burbs
MrMimizu wrote: Have Samsung washer and dryer that were top of the line when I got em in 2010.
Less than one month past the 1 yr warrantee period, dryer started rattling and vibrating really loudly.
Samsung told me it sucks to be me and it'll cost $120 to have a guy show up at my house.
If he does anything beyond LOOKING, it'll cost extra on top of that.
probably the same with all manufacturers. get you out of warranty then your SOL
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
We just bought a Samsung fridge from HD and during the conversation with the awesome appliance rep we got there, I mentioned maybe being in the market for a washer/dryer this year and looking at Samsung for that also. The guy was very direct and said go with LG not Samsung - LG have the best technology for front loaders and while others are copying it they have to use different parts to not infringe and they don't measure up to the way LG have been able to keep enhancing their technology. This guy was really awesome to us so I was planning on taking his word and going LG when we eventually spring for a new set.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1667 posts
385 upvotes
Oakville
I haven't had any luck with either Samsung or LG with washers/dryers, both newer front load style, we switched to Frigidaire Pro for all our appliances and love them, they're made by electrolux now. We got them at the Brick at a contractors rate and saved a ton compared to other name brands.
Mar 7, 2012
12 posts
4 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
"got the LG 3470 pair for $1300 at lowes incl a 10%" Are you really in Canada?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2014
1041 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I thought all Korean appliances are unreliable? If it's a really good deal, go for it. If not, shop around for bigger name brands.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
I got a set of new samsung top load ( front load dryer ). Best set I've ever used. It's only about 2 years old at this time so I can't comment on long term reliability.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
snow00774 wrote: LG have the best technology for front loaders and while others are copying it they have to use different parts to not infringe.
Did he happen to mention specifically what technology he was referring to ?

To me a washer consist of :
1) a Drum ( * make sure you get a Stainless Steel one, as others are likely to rust after time, If the paintjob is good it will last a while but will still rust eventually ).
2) Modern Front loaders are direct drive ( * Belts used to fail and also the drum bearing used to fail, With Direct drive both of these have been somewhat mitigated . Warranties on these for 10 years or 5 years is not uncommon).
3)Vibration sensor and Software to modulate the Drum motor to reduce vibration. ( * look for ads that say "vibration reduction" or similar ).
4)Water heater ( * Most or all of them have this built in to push the temperature up when needed for a cycle).
5) " Sanitize " option for washing clothes and killing almost every bug known to man . ( * this is useful if you have kids and one of them catches a bug ). This is a feature that may not be found on all Washers.
6) Other cycles and the ability to save custom cycles. ( * This varies from model to model , and across manufacturers. Look for Features *you want* )
7) determine the drum size you want to buy. unfortunately not everyone measures the same way in Canada. look up the same model on the US site for true comparison as there they have standardized it.
8) Do you want to run the set for 5 years or 10 ? ( * if the latter , what is the manufacturer's reputation for selling spare parts after the warranty is over?)
9) WiFi and mp3 player ( ? * may as well 5 more years when the washer will be more intelligent and everyone will go to the washer and the washer will them them if they need to wash their clothes ).

p.s: in the entire list I don't see anything other than software on which LG may have a patent. But even that doesn't require installing different types of parts to " get around" the patent. Its just software , you just write it differently.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)