Cell Phones

LG seemingly ends all support for LG G5 and LG V20.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 8:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18655 posts
17678 upvotes
Toronto

LG seemingly ends all support for LG G5 and LG V20.

9to5Google: LG seemingly ends all support for LG G5 and LG V20.

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/10/lg-se ... nd-lg-v20/

Anyone with either device will be disappointed to hear this news as it means no future updates, security patches, or anything else for that matter. Anyone hoping for Android Pie on either device, well, we’re sorry to be the bearers of bad news. You’ll be stuck on Android Oreo, at least officially.

What’s more damning is that LG had originally promised two years of software and security updates for the LG V20, but doesn’t meet the commitment as it avoids an Android Pie update. Overall, this is just massively disappointing news.
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
7 replies
Aug 19, 2018
973 posts
993 upvotes
The writing is on the wall with all the delays on their update anyway. Oreo update was massively delayed for most phones.

This is just another nail in the coffin. Most users are not going to buy another LG device based on old experience even if they are willing to upgrade to Android Pie sometime down the line.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17608 posts
1708 upvotes
Woodbridge
What I hate about android the most...

Lack of support for their customers and fans. This is why Apple is the best in this department.

I wish Google would handle and take CONTROL of the software side. I don't even know why carriers are involved in updates.

I'm still waiting for my Huawei P20 Pro Rogers update.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Aug 19, 2018
973 posts
993 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:41 pm
What I hate about android the most...

Lack of support for their customers and fans. This is why Apple is the best in this department.

I wish Google would handle and take CONTROL of the software side. I don't even know why carriers are involved in updates.

I'm still waiting for my Huawei P20 Pro Rogers update.

Theoretically speaking, nothing stop carriers or individual manufacturer to simply use stock Android build and let the phone update with google with minimal intervention.

In reality:
  • Vendor want their phone to stand out, they want to add features other phone doesn't have to use as selling points.
  • Vendor gets a kickback from data collected from their own app or bundling apps from a software company.
  • Sometimes they even bypass the whole app store and use their own because running an app store is a revenue generator. Amazon fire does this, many Chinese phone makers do this. For example. I'm sure there are more out there.
  • Carriers want to get data from their customer too, they also want to get kickback from software company or website to bundle their apps.
  • Carriers has incentives to restrict hoe the phone is used, like disabling tethering, limiting rooting to bypass locked features, adding their own logo, etc
  • People who care about these updates at the time of purchasing the phone is a minority, they are not losing many customers by adding update difficulty.
Since Google allows all of these because Android is technically "free" for modification, this is what the end user has to put up with.

For end users who care about their phone receiving updates, they are best sticking with Google phone, or to a lesser extent, companies that back up their products with updating like One Plus.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
The situation could be slightly mitigated with an unlocked bootloader which would allow for the installation of a custom ROM.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2984 posts
893 upvotes
For the V20, the Omega Nougat and Oreo ROMs are excellent and the developer of those has done more for the community than the entire LG security updates team. That said, Omega is based on stock so it won't be getting updated anymore. The only option for V20 users now is to use something like lineageOS, which still has issues with things like the camera, DAC and second screen.
Aug 19, 2018
973 posts
993 upvotes
txenglan wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:11 pm
For the V20, the Omega Nougat and Oreo ROMs are excellent and the developer of those has done more for the community than the entire LG security updates team. That said, Omega is based on stock so it won't be getting updated anymore. The only option for V20 users now is to use something like lineageOS, which still has issues with things like the camera, DAC and second screen.
I'm not sure I want to use sacrifices any of those things just so I can use LineageOS. Without Second Screen, DAC, and / or full camera support you might as well not be using this phone. The second screen, DAC, and the replaceable batteries are like the defining feature of this phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2984 posts
893 upvotes
Cucumference wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:56 pm
I'm not sure I want to use sacrifices any of those things just so I can use LineageOS. Without Second Screen, DAC, and / or full camera support you might as well not be using this phone. The second screen, DAC, and the replaceable batteries are like the defining feature of this phone.
You're absolutely correct. The removable battery, DAC, camera and second screen are what sets this phone apart. The removable battery is obviously moot since you won't lose it with Lineage. Second screen is already available in some versions of Lineage and will eventually be baked into the core ROM. I believe the DAC and camera are also working well now in the main release but I'm not 100% certain but I'll soon find out first hand. In the meantime, I recommend that anyone still using this phone check out the excellent work that i95swervin has done on the Alpha Omega Oreo ROM at XDA. This ROm is what I'm currently using as a daily driver. As i95swervin stated at the following page ---> Post #974, users should bombard LG's product security E-Mail with a piece of mind. I already have:

product.security@lge.com

Also, have a look at the following:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv20/comments ... t_actions/