Expired Hot Deals

LG UM7300 43" IPS 4K TV [2019] (TV-as-Monitor) - $428.00 [Costco, TheSource, Amazon, BestBuy, Visions, LondonDrugs]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2019 9:09 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2002
1608 posts
150 upvotes
Scarborough
ReadAllTheDeals wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 3:51 pm
In store ? For some reason I thought it was online only
Lord Denning wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 3:55 pm

In store - at least Leaside Toronto - was last year's model.
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 3:56 pm

It is. I'm fairly confident that was the LG UK6300 (2018), but I hope I'm wrong.
Yup, that's probably what it was... sorry if I got anyone's hopes up
----------------------------------------------------------------
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10566 posts
10635 upvotes
Lord Denning wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 4:06 pm
It does flash HDR when I select PC and the screen options are different. Interestingly if i select YCBCR 4:2:2:2 on my AMD control panel - i can get 12 bit colour on HDMI. Looks awful though.

Monitor is growing on me for sure. How much of a difference will 60hz make? I guess it is worth the $13 displayport to HDMI cable. My only reservation is not to spend money until I know I am keeping the TV!
This is me hoping I'm wrong but...

I don't believe HDMI 2.0 supports 4K60 @ 4:4:4 (RGB) @ Full Dynamic Range and HDR. It's a strange situation they forced consumers into when the HDMI-org was finalizing 2.0 in the mid-2010s... 'we'll give them pixel clarity or vibrant eye-popping color... but not both!'.

To engage HDR you need to adjust downwards to 4K60 @ YCbCr420 @ Full Dynamic Range. It's possible YCbCr422 might work as well. I've stopped testing in this area because if I make a mistake and saturate my HDMI 2.0 cable, I need to go to safe mode, uninstall my video driver, reinstall it, and then boot back into Windows at default 4K. It's a pain.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3163 posts
2795 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Is anyone else in the same boat?

I had a 27" monitor till I got the TCL 43" 4K tv on prime day, but suddenly the new 27" 144hz panel feels so small. Not sure if I should keep this monitor. My colours are pretty washed out on the 4k VA panel during daylight and terrible viewing angles too, but the screen is so much bigger, with more details.

What should I do? Is free sync/144hz that much better than a huge screen and higher res? I'm waiting for my displayport cable to come in the mail to try freesync.

I'm thinking about returning both to get this 43" IPS display. Is it much brighter than my 4-series TCL?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10566 posts
10635 upvotes
@Nikhilvoid

Some real talk in the room.

144Hz is meaningless for casual media and productivity. It's home is gaming.

The LG UM7300 is a bright panel, it handles reflections better, and resists image distortion from wide viewing angles. The gigantic window right in front of you is no place for a VA monitor (even if it's really a TV).

Please don't take my word for it though, read the RTings review on the SDR brightness, viewing angles, and reflection handling. The spoiler is that it does pretty well despite not being HDR bright, it holds it's own.

Now whether you return both for the LG UM7300? I'd say get the LG first before making any rash decisions to return your entire setup. Hopeful you have enough time to trial the LG within the return window of your other monitors.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10566 posts
10635 upvotes
RTings Introduction Summary Excerpt
The LG UM7300PUA is a good 4k TV with a wide viewing angle, excellent low input lag, and an excellent response time. It has decent peak brightness in SDR, and it has excellent reflection handling, making it a great choice for a wide seating area in a brighter room.

It goes on to talk about mediocre blacks, true of most IPS panels, which are not the primary concern for a bright room display.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3163 posts
2795 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 7:03 pm
@Nikhilvoid

Some real talk in the room.

144Hz is meaningless for casual media and productivity. It's home is gaming.

The LG UM7300 is a bright panel, it handles reflections better, and resists image distortion from wide viewing angles. The gigantic window right in front of you is no place for a VA monitor (even if it's really a TV).

Please don't take my word for it though, read the RTings review on the SDR brightness, viewing angles, and reflection handling. The spoiler is that it does pretty well despite not being HDR bright, it holds it's own.

Now whether you return both for the LG UM7300? I'd say get the LG first before making any rash decisions to return your entire setup. Hopeful you have enough time to trial the LG with the return window of your other monitors.
Thanks, I'm thinking about getting the LG soon for the better viewing angles. The opinions I read before going for the 27" 144hz all said to pick a 144hz screen over 4k, but I game maybe once a week or less.

I can fix the brightness problem on my TCL by just lowering the blinds. The TCL does poorly because the closet mirrors in the back reflect all the sunlight back at it.
Dec 19, 2006
483 posts
388 upvotes
Vancouver
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 7:23 pm
Thanks, I'm thinking about getting the LG soon for the better viewing angles. The opinions I read before going for the 27" 144hz all said to pick a 144hz screen over 4k, but I game maybe once a week or less.

I can fix the brightness problem on my TCL by just lowering the blinds. The TCL does poorly because the closet mirrors in the back reflect all the sunlight back at it.
Pick 144hz over 4k but only for gaming as op said you're only going to really notice it then. I do notice it a little with day to day stuff when I'm not on my 144hz monitor but only because I've been using a 144hz monitor for a few years. It's not to the point where it bugs me to be at 60hz though (unless gaming)
Mar 31, 2008
716 posts
427 upvotes
Airdrie
Well I have finally set up my TV. I am a little lost, it looks like some of the menus have changed from the 2018 in the first post. I am finding the remote and menus not very user friendly.

My computer currently won't display the correct resolution. I am running HDMI 2.0 through a RX 470 graphics card. I can select both 4096x2160 and 3840x2160. 3840 makes the monitor letterboxed with black bars on each side. 4096 fills the screen but I have cutoff where the screen goes past the edges of the TV.

I will try to update some drivers and see if I can get it working properly. I purchased this in the middle of a new build, so I just put the computer together today. Everything is new except the graphics card.

Edit: Okay to save some people the trouble, hit the home button on the remote, click on the second icon from the left on the bottom of the screen to go to home dashboard. Once at the home dashboard go to the edit pencil icon on the top right of the screen. From there you can go into your desired input and select PC. The screen finally fit to my content after finding the PC mode.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10566 posts
10635 upvotes
@mcwilly

Good.

The screen's native resolution is 3840x2160. Going higher will not improve image quality, and due to pixel mapping issues, may make things worse. By the sounds of it though, it looks like your computer and panel shook each other's hands and met at native.

Also, thank goodness:

OT: I gave Amazon a friendly piece of my mind about the delayed shipment.

My next mission for you all is to share proper calibrations for the 2019 LG UM7300 43" 4K IPS TV. While the 2018 is probably close, I want to be exacting. Word to the wise, my calibrations will be for a bright room, once you mirror these calibrations 'adjust the knobs' as you see fit to match your room idiosyncrasies.
Mar 11, 2005
194 posts
12 upvotes
Return window is closing soon on my NU7100 from Costco. Been following this thread closely over the last week or so. Is there anyone here who has used both the UM7300 and the NU7100 as a 4K monitor and would care to share their impressions?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10566 posts
10635 upvotes
iencoder wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 7:36 am
Return window is closing soon on my NU7100 from Costco. Been following this thread closely over the last week or so. Is there anyone here who has used both the UM7300 and the NU7100 as a 4K monitor and would care to share their impressions?
If your room is darker, the NU7100 (VA) performs pretty well. A basement or natural-light deprived room for example.

If the Sun insists upon your room like a welcome friend, your NU7100 may not fair well. The NU7100 reflection handling is not too terrible, but it's inferior to the LG UM7300 (IPS), and the viewing angles are certainly inferior.

My advice? Everyone is different. If you're thinking of returning the NU7100, don't do it until you've bought, calibrated, and put the LG UM7300 in the same place. If it's patently superior, return the NU7100, but if this redflagdealsguy is full of it, return the LG UM7300 and educate us on your experience. Most likely, if the LG doesn't work out, it will be a situation of inappropriate use-case(s) (graphic design, video editing, low-lit room, black-level sensitive use-cases, etc.).

This advice goes out to everyone. Buy, try, keep, or return the LG UM7300. Only when you're completely satisfied that the LG UM7300 is the better choice, should you then return your other panel(s).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10566 posts
10635 upvotes
The Source and Visions extended their sale to August 29th. Visions is maintaining their 2 year bonus warranty offer, at no additional charge.

Amazon is still on sale with a 2 to 5 week shipping delay.

You have a few days to meditate on this purchase, unless you're fighting against a return window on another panel.
Aug 22, 2019
7 posts
4 upvotes
Hi, I purchased this TV to use as a monitor in one of the rare moments Costco had available online.
I really like the sharpness and the size, I am always been in love of the LG IPS screens, recently I purchased a LG monitor VA panel (32UK50T-W) but I was not happy with the colors and vision angles.

My problem is that I am not able to set the monitor at 4K@60Hz, only 30Hz.

I have a Macbook pro 15" 2017 and I bought this cable on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Thunderbo ... 184&sr=8-4

but the Mac video system information says I am working at 3840 x 2160@30 Hz.
I bought other 2 cables hoping that the problem is on the cable, but I am wondering if I am missing some setting on the TV to force working at 60 Hz, I set the HDMI1 output label as PC and calibrated using redflagdealsguy's settings he posted on the first page of this thread.

Thanks for your help!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10566 posts
10635 upvotes
My LG UM7300 arrived.

Quick Bits
Once I went through the quick setup. I had the same issue as previous posters with the screen appearing blown out of proportion slightly. I went to the 'Device Connector' function and told it HDMI 2 was my PC, and it suddenly optimized the display and correctly sized everything.

The auto-calibration, if you can call it that, is pretty good. I did make sure I engaged Expert Mode: Bright, make sure you do this if you're in a reasonable bright room.

The colors are significantly more vibrant than on the LG UK6300, and the blacks look darker to my eyes.

I'm pretty pleased to re-acquaint myself with this guy after over 2 months.

It's taking a well-earned seat on the mantle... computer desk.

More precise calibrations to come later, but these PC Mode Auto-Calibrations + Expert Mode: Bright... they look pretty good by themselves.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10566 posts
10635 upvotes
maico75 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 10:33 am
Hi, I purchased this TV to use as a monitor in one of the rare moments Costco had available online.
I really like the sharpness and the size, I am always been in love of the LG IPS screens, recently I purchased a LG monitor VA panel (32UK50T-W) but I was not happy with the colors and vision angles.

My problem is that I am not able to set the monitor at 4K@60Hz, only 30Hz.

I have a Macbook pro 15" 2017 and I bought this cable on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Thunderbo ... 184&sr=8-4

but the Mac video system information says I am working at 3840 x 2160@30 Hz.
I bought other 2 cables hoping that the problem is on the cable, but I am wondering if I am missing some setting on the TV to force working at 60 Hz, I set the HDMI1 output label as PC and calibrated using redflagdealsguy's settings he posted on the first page of this thread.

Thanks for your help!
A 2017 MacBook Pro should support 4K60 via USB-C according to:
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP756?locale=en_US

It should work, and the reviews on that cable are pretty solid, even after adjusting for false reviews.

Have you tried restarting after connecting that cable, and seeing if that fixes it?

Full admission: I struggle to tech-support Mac devices as a PC guy, so I'd welcome feedback from the audience.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)