Expired Hot Deals

LG UM7300 43" IPS 4K TV [2019] (TV-as-Monitor) - $428.00 [Costco, TheSource, Amazon, BestBuy, Visions, LondonDrugs]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2019 9:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10640 posts
10733 upvotes
Xom wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 11:33 pm
bought it from Best Buy and could not be happier about the result! Thank you redflagdealsguy!

Just want to share experience that I have trying to get max resolution on my Lenovo T430s laptop.
It comes with Intel HD Graphics 4000 built in display.
Even with latest driver from Intel, the max resolution i got was 1920*1080.
I followed this guide and was able to get 2560*1440.
The guide also listed out several other types of display.
Thank you for the positive feedback.

My employee inherited my LG 2018 for her workstation and she has an HD 4000 in her system. I tried the guide and it reported 'invalid input', I'm thinking this is due to the DisplayPort to HDMI cable, as the DP should be able to output that signal.

Essentially, 2560x1440 @ 55Hz @ CVT-RB may not be possible on the DisplayPort to HDMI cable I've selected. Alternatively, this workaround may not work on the DP-wired version of HD 4000 for whatever reason. NotebookReview seems to have tested this with laptop variants of the HD 4000, which may or may not operate differently..

I may give up and try 30 Hz, but I want to avoid unnecessary eye strain on the part of my staffer.

We'll see.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10640 posts
10733 upvotes
Samsung 43" Q60R 4K Ultra HD QLED Smart TV (2019) (QN43Q60RAFXZC) [Canada Version]
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NV6PD8N/ref ... ADb6SRQ5H5

$697.99

Unprecedent price for a FreeSync QLED oversized TV-as-Monitor. Out of my reasonable price range, but our gamer and higher-end monitor consumers may start to consider this TV for Monitor purposes at this price. Better colors and blacks, but objectively worse viewing angles and possibly worse reflection handling than our champion LG UM7300 43". Also, blooming may be an issue with HDR enabled on the Samsung. Finally, the Samsung is an inferior productivity panel in my opinion, having used it in store a little while ago.

So for everyone else, I'm still recommending the stalwart LG UM7300 43" 4K IPS TV-as-Monitor. Expect this LG 2019 to hit sub-$430 again approaching Black Friday, and possibly sub-$400.
Jun 7, 2017
868 posts
1987 upvotes
New Brunswick
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 8:03 am
Samsung 43" Q60R 4K Ultra HD QLED Smart TV (2019) (QN43Q60RAFXZC) [Canada Version]
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NV6PD8N/ref ... ADb6SRQ5H5

$697.99

Unprecedent price for a FreeSync QLED oversized TV-as-Monitor. Out of my reasonable price range, but our gamer and higher-end monitor consumers may start to consider this TV for Monitor purposes at this price. Better colors and blacks, but objectively worse viewing angles and possibly worse reflection handling than our champion LG UM7300 43". Also, blooming may be an issue with HDR enabled on the Samsung. Finally, the Samsung is an inferior productivity panel in my opinion, having used it in store a little while ago.

So for everyone else, I'm still recommending the stalwart LG UM7300 43" 4K IPS TV-as-Monitor. Expect this LG 2019 to hit sub-$430 again approaching Black Friday, and possibly sub-$400.
Rtings places it above the UM7300, but they still rank the LG as the better monitor by 0.1 points (whatever that represents lol). Still looks like the better overall TV if you are using it for other stuff like games and movies.

Can't say if I'd drop almost $300 extra for it though.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10640 posts
10733 upvotes
BranCracker wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 8:45 am
Rtings places it above the UM7300, but they still rank the LG as the better monitor by 0.1 points (whatever that represents lol). Still looks like the better overall TV if you are using it for other stuff like games and movies.

Can't say if I'd drop almost $300 extra for it though.
I've used the Samsung Q60R 43" before, as discussed, and while it looks great for media and gaming. I think it's a little less eye friendly for productivity.

My other concern circles around VA, even moderately off center viewing caused a noticeable change in the output, darkening the image and muting the colors a little more.

Speaking for myself, my eyes have become accustomed to the balanced look of IPS panels. I can sit at my LG UM7300 all day without eye strain or tension headaches, likewise for the LG 2018. These IPS TVs live in bright office environments here, not at my spartan home, and the excellent reflection handling, resistance to bright lights, and viewing angles (should I have an employee or two huddle around) make them almost ideal. Of those three features, the QLED resists bright light but handles reflections less impressively (though still decent), and you know about viewing angles.

If you're into heavy graphic design or video editing, the better color reproduction on the Samsung could interest you. Likewise if you're heavy into HDR Gamer.

For productivity, casual media, and casual gaming, the LG UM7300 43" is much better value for money when priced sub-$430.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1548 posts
563 upvotes
Here's a video testing this 43UM7300 and comparing against a 2018 43UK6500
Always in search of a great deal....
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10640 posts
10733 upvotes
Netcruzer wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 10:21 am
Here's a video testing this 43UM7300 and comparing against a 2018 43UK6500
** video ***
Nice! Unless you object, I'm throwing this in the first post and crediting you.

I watched most of it, and the gist of it seems to be... LG has redefined what constitutes wide gamut HDR for marketing purposes... and the LG UM7300 43" might meet the minimum wide gamut threshold much like the UK6500. For consistency, I've been avoiding that terminology, because unless my retinas are hurting from the intense color palette, it's not wide gamut in my book. This is coming from someone that is a big proponent of this panel as a monitor.
Jun 7, 2017
868 posts
1987 upvotes
New Brunswick
So got it set up; so far so good. An immediate annoyance I have is with the shadow-effect on the edges when looking at certain angles - I imagine as a result of it being a TV panel vs monitor.

Costco's return period gives me plenty of time to play with it some more, so I'll make a final decision after then.
Sep 15, 2007
108 posts
14 upvotes
Alberta
This is the most thoroughly written and researched post I have ever seen on RFD.
Two thumbs up.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2407 posts
255 upvotes
cyberzip55 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 1:39 pm
This is the most thoroughly written and researched post I have ever seen on RFD.
Two thumbs up.
Lol. 300 posts by the OP, 200 of which before he even purchased one. Hyperbole and grandeur over a $400 budget TV he insists on calling a monitor. Incorrect technical info, bad calibration advice, and dissemination of any better alternatives. He literally called this small budget TV “our champion” above, just weird posturing and an over abundance of pointless post-bumping and sales pushing for whatever reason...

As for the TV, it actually has a number of drawbacks as a monitor such as low colour depth in 4:4:4 (and not really vibrant in general) no USB-C/Thunderbolt/DisplayPort/HDMI 2.1, no analogue audio out, no wake/sleep functionality, edge shadowing/ghosting, low PPI (if you’re used to retina quality), and IMO the biggest flaw for usage as a monitor: PWM backlight. Headache inducing for some people, more eyestrain. Definitely noticeable flicker in this tv especially at lower brightness settings.

I bought one but it is basically a Netflix/Prime/YouTube display in my office while I work on a real monitor. This is totally a budget dorm gaming/Netflix TV. OP was using a 43” RGBW panel as a monitor previously so I’m sure he’s enjoying at least a correct pixel layout now, but that doesn’t make it an instant GOAT PC monitor. I like that it is IPS and somewhat colour accurate with good viewing angles but if it didn’t have smart features, it certainly wouldn’t be in my office as a primary monitor.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1556 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
Yeah I bought it and returned it because it straight up sucked compared to my Dell IPS. I'm sick of seeing the thread on the front page every damn day just because the guy keeps bumping it forever.

Sorry not sorry...

It's not a hot deal. It's a suggestion to sit really close to a TV and use it as a monitor even though it kind of sucks for that.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2407 posts
255 upvotes
Blubbs wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 2:30 pm
Yeah I bought it and returned it because it straight up sucked compared to my Dell IPS. I'm sick of seeing the thread on the front page every damn day just because the guy keeps bumping it forever.

Sorry not sorry...

It's not a hot deal. It's a suggestion to sit really close to a TV and use it as a monitor even though it kind of sucks for that.
Exactly my thoughts. Of course there’s a small HDTV on sale during back to school season. If you want any more proof that it’s not designed primarily (“by LG engineers”) as a monitor, ponder why they included, in 2019, component video instead of USB-C/Thunderbolt.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10640 posts
10733 upvotes
No need to worry gentlemen, this thread is being retired to Expired Deals by days's end or sooner. I appreciate your feedback.

God bless.
Sep 4, 2017
86 posts
94 upvotes
DFS 360 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 2:22 pm
As for the TV, it actually has a number of drawbacks as a monitor such as low colour depth in 4:4:4 (and not really vibrant in general) no USB-C/Thunderbolt/DisplayPort/HDMI 2.1, no analogue audio out, no wake/sleep functionality, edge shadowing/ghosting, low PPI (if you’re used to retina quality), and IMO the biggest flaw for usage as a monitor: PWM backlight. Headache inducing for some people, more eyestrain. Definitely noticeable flicker in this tv especially at lower brightness settings.
Honest question: why do you need an analog audio output on a monitor or tv? If you're using it as a monitor, you should at least have an analog output on your PC/laptop/Mac, and if you're using it as a tv, you should probably have a better sound setup that doesn't depend on a noisy tv output. Optical or HDMI ARC is all you need
Mar 9, 2016
167 posts
99 upvotes
I ordered one. Hoping to use this as a monitor when I dock my X1 extreme for productivity, as well as hooking up to a PS4 and fire stick for media consumption. Back in stock in Costco but the price is up to $490, was able to request a one off price adjustment through chat. Will let you know how it handles my use cases when it gets here, and have the Costco return period if it doesn't. Thanks redflagdealsguy
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2407 posts
255 upvotes
superchuko wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 3:13 pm
Honest question: why do you need an analog audio output on a monitor or tv? If you're using it as a monitor, you should at least have an analog output on your PC/laptop/Mac, and if you're using it as a tv, you should probably have a better sound setup that doesn't depend on a noisy tv output. Optical or HDMI ARC is all you need
Hooking it up to some Logitech 2.1 speakers for example. My original purpose was to hook up a MacBook Air retina occasionally. I’d have to plug in the power, a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or cable, and analogue headphone jack to the speakers. A real computer monitor in 2019 could accomplish all that through a single USB-C cable and the monitor would pass the audio out to the speakers. This TV can’t do any of that.