Expired Hot Deals

LG UM7300 43" IPS 4K TV [2019] (TV-as-Monitor) - $428.00 [Costco, TheSource, Amazon, BestBuy, Visions, LondonDrugs]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2019 9:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10601 posts
10664 upvotes
ovovov wrote:
Sep 7th, 2019 10:46 pm
scored a used gt 1030 @$60, works perfect for my needs.( basic web browsing and reading off local library magzines)
Thanks again
You did very well at $60. I'm jealous.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2892 posts
483 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Sep 7th, 2019 6:55 pm
Costco [...] I got the (reluctant) tv clerk to check his computer to see if any 43UM7300 were on order for that location, and no, they're not expecting any. He then checked other stores and told me the only one showing stock was Brampton, with exactly 1 showing as in stock.
I called Costco Brampton this morning and was able to verify that:
- the 1 they had was damaged, a return (not sure why it showed in stock)
- they have never actually sold a 43UM7300 at that warehouse location
- they have none on order
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Sep 7th, 2019 7:15 pm

$449? That's not bad. Are you willing to share this vendor, or are we talking a grey market sleezeball?
It was Teletime (Markham). They're an authorized dealer. However, it was the ---PUA variant not the AUE variant.
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Sep 7th, 2019 8:06 pm
If you can wait and want to risk customs, B&H has it on special: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... s_hdr.html

$391.05 CAD before tax and duties. Comes to $476.88 CAD after shipping and duties and taxes for BC.
I'd seen that, but according to LG's website in order to have any warranty in Canada, the tv must have been sold in Canada. As it happens, my dad was in Vermont this past week, so he was eligible for an $800 border exemption on duty and taxes, and he was staying 25 mins from a Best Buy just inside the New Hampshire border... and NH has no sales tax. So I could have got him to pick one up at $299USD = $395CAD (not inc foreign credit card transaction fee). But because of the warranty thing and uncertainty about it fitting in the back of his 2-seater sportscar, I decided to pass.
Apr 8, 2007
584 posts
85 upvotes
tried something new tonight with gt 1030 card.

i put it on a mac osx 86, seems not fully supported by mojova ...

so anyone wants to go that route, donot buy gt 1030 yet..
Living in this big world, I have a little dream.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10601 posts
10664 upvotes
ovovov wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 2:28 am
tried something new tonight with gt 1030 card.

i put it on a mac osx 86, seems not fully supported by mojova ...

so anyone wants to go that route, donot buy gt 1030 yet..
NVIDIA was supposed to release a compatible driver, I don't know if they ever did.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... 0-10-103/2

Efforts like the above might've worked, but the associated link is dead now.
Apr 8, 2007
584 posts
85 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 7:24 am
NVIDIA was supposed to release a compatible driver, I don't know if they ever did.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... 0-10-103/2

Efforts like the above might've worked, but the associated link is dead now.
OP, you are really on top of things. Looked Tony's osx86 site, people either decide to move on with AMD card or downgraded from Mojave to High Sierra... I guess at this point, have to wait apple come out with something new, hopefully soon.
Thanks again
Living in this big world, I have a little dream.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3171 posts
2805 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Dumb question, but is there a film on the screen? The edges of my screen are dim, as if they are curving off or cut off. I removed the tape, obviously. It's at 4k rgb resolution.

I can also see all the individual pixels, unlike in a VA display. Maybe aggressive anti glare? It's also dimmer than I expected.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10601 posts
10664 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 5:31 pm
Dumb question, but is there a film on the screen? The edges of my screen are dim, as if they are curving off or cut off. I removed the tape, obviously. It's at 4k rgb resolution.

I can also see all the individual pixels, unlike in a VA display. Maybe aggressive anti glare? It's also dimmer than I expected.
It will look dimmer from the edges because of the severe viewing angle with respect to the eyes. However, it may also be an organic result of the way the panel is constructed.

It's significantly improved in both colors, blacks, and uniformity over the 2018. The edges are ever so slightly dimmer, something I don't notice unless I'm looked for it. The raised bevel may also be leaving a shadow to exaggerate this effect.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3171 posts
2805 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 5:55 pm
It will look dimmer from the edges because of the severe viewing angle with respect to the eyes. However, it may also be an organic result of the way the panel is constructed.

It's significantly improved in both colors, blacks, and uniformity over the 2018. The edges are ever so slightly dimmer, something I don't notice unless I'm looked for it. The raised bevel may also be leaving a shadow to exaggerate this effect.
Yeah, it's like some kind of raised edge? Maybe it's the glass covering the actual screen? The glass looks a bit like those curved phone displays. I thought it was more plastic wrapping.

And, yeah, I think it is definitely an aggressive anti-glare coating. But it's hard to find an IPS display without one. Screen looks better after the calibrations.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10601 posts
10664 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 9:48 pm
Yeah, it's like some kind of raised edge? Maybe it's the glass covering the actual screen? The glass looks a bit like those curved phone displays. I thought it was more plastic wrapping.

And, yeah, I think it is definitely an aggressive anti-glare coating. But it's hard to find an IPS display without one. Screen looks better after the calibrations.
My biggest worry was that this panel would be just like the LG 2018, which I was fine with, but it suffered from more uniformity issues typical of LED TVs but less common on true LED monitors.

Instead, the LG UM7300 (2019) surprised me in it's almost monitor-grade uniformity.

When this goes on sale again, expect a revived thread with all the FAQs and Guides in Hot Deals. For now, I leave the first post as a resource to current and potential future buyers.

Good night.
Sep 4, 2017
85 posts
94 upvotes
The LG UM7300 43 is down to $400 on londondrugs.com.
I'm trying to price match this. The unit I got actually had some damage on the panel and is in the process of being shipped back to their distribution centre, so if they won't price match, I may just be able to ask for a refund instead of replacement.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10601 posts
10664 upvotes
superchuko wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:42 pm
The LG UM7300 43 is down to $400 on londondrugs.com.
I'm trying to price match this. The unit I got actually had some damage on the panel and is in the process of being shipped back to their distribution centre, so if they won't price match, I may just be able to ask for a refund instead of replacement.
You may be able to order a second one and return the first one.

FYI, thank you for sharing this information. I'm expecting the new thread to receive positive feedback, but a lot of negative feedback as well (circling around me, rather than the product, LOL). Glad people like yourself take a fair approach.
Sep 4, 2017
85 posts
94 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 9:13 pm
You may be able to order a second one and return the first one.

FYI, thank you for sharing this information. I'm expecting the new thread to receive positive feedback, but a lot of negative feedback as well (circling around me, rather than the product, LOL). Glad people like yourself take a fair approach.
No problem! I was able to get my price reduced, luckily.

Don't mind the people who complain about seeing these treads. This is a good deal
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2892 posts
483 upvotes
I picked up a 43UM7300AUE last Thursday for $400+tax from GOLDEN ELECTRONICS in Richmond Hill, ON (Bayview Ave location, in a little Chinese plaza). I found them via LG's 'Where to Buy' link on the model's product page. Golden doesn't list prices online, so I used their webform to inquire. They replied back quickly with a "below" figure that itself was well below what everyone else was selling it for at the time ($478-479), though most other retailers (BB, Costco, Visions) include "free" shipping, which I wasn't interested in paying for. Golden's actual in-store sticker price was as they said, below what they quoted. And when I said I'd pay cash or debit, the price dropped even further (to $400). Sweet!

Pre-purchase, my only concern had been that Golden's website listed the -PUA variant of the 43UM7300 while Costco etc. listed the -AUE variant. So the day before I was going to buy, I used LG's online chat to confirm whether Golden was an authorized LG Canada dealer (YES) and to confirm whether the -PUA variant, if that's what they supplied, would be covered by LG Canada's warranty (NO). LG said the -PUA variant is a USA-destined model, and therefore is NOT covered by LG Canada's warranty. Oh! So I immediately called Golden to confirm the exact model # they were selling. The woman who answered (Li or maybe it was Lee) kindly went and checked a box and confirmed that they had the -AUE variant. That was a relief! I explained why I was asking and she apologized for the confusion, though she couldn't explain why they'd listed -PUA on their site. But she reassured me they are an authorized LG Canada dealer and only carried what LG Canada gave them/what could be ordered through LG Canada's ordering system. OK then!

The next day when I went to Golden Electronics, I took a brief look around then approached the lone female employee that I could see and asked if she happened to be Li(/Lee). She was, and I was amazed when she said, "You're here about the 43-inch LG UM7300... AUE?"!! She took me over to the display model, and told me briefly about the tv's features. That was when I noticed the price sticker on the tv, showing the aforementioned even lower price than I'd been told via email. Li/Lee said "We can do better than that, if cash/debit". So, $400+tax is what I paid. As she wrote up my receipt, my tv was brought out from the back on a dolly and the guy said if I pulled my car up to the curb he'd load it. In and out in <5 minutes, no upselling, no pressure, just an easy and pleasant transaction.

Honestly, I'll admit to be a wary of buying from an independent electronics shop, especially one that's obviously Chinese-run (I'm white/European). But I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Now... I'm going to skip backwards a half hour that day for contrast:

Although I had a great emailed price quote from Golden, I needed to go to Vaughan for something and there was a Visions Electronics store near where I'd be going, and Visions' website said the had the 43UM7300 in stock. Visions does price matching/beating (by 15% of the difference, "Online. In-Store. Any price. Anywhere") and like Costco, they double the warranty to 2yrs automatically AND offer price protection (30 days standard, and 60 days if you subscribe to their email list) so I figured it wouldn't hurt to stop in and ask if they could match/beat Golden Electronics price. So I go in, tell the sales guy which tv I'm interested, he confirmed it was in stock, and then I asked if they could price match or beat a price I had. He called over a manager. The manager's instant response to hearing the price I wanted them to beat was: "Nope, not going to do that". I reminded him of Visions' advertised policy and said I'd be happy if he only matched it, as Visions generously provides a 2yr warranty. He asked who I wanted to match against and when I said Golden Electronics he said "Never heard of them. Not going to match them even if their price was closer to ours". Golden's been around in the Toronto area for 35 years and in Richmond Hill (<20 minutes away) for at least 20! I showed him my LG Canada chat transcript confirming Golden was an authorized dealer. He got his sales guy to pull up their website. "No price listed!", he said, relieved. I showed him the email from Golden. He noticed the -PUA in the model name. I told him I'd already called the store to confirm it was -AUE they were selling and invited him to call the store to confirm for himself. "Not going to do that. $478 is my best price". That was the same price as on the Visions website and it includes 'free shipping' - though if, in Checkout, you choose the 'local pickup' option, the price reduces a bit. I told him that, so clearly he could do better. And I was happy to pay cash. "No. $478 for you", he said. As it was the final day of Visions' current flyer week, my final effort to leave with a tv was to ask if he could tell me what price Visions would be selling it at the next day/next week, in case the price happened to drop further. "I can't tell you that", he said. "Do you have next week's flyer already, out back?", I asked. "Yes". "Could you/we please check it?", I asked. "No". "Go buy it from Golden if you like their price so much" was his final words.

Alright, you don't want my business? Off to Golden I went. So much for Visions and their boasts. Visions' loss was Golden's gain.

As for the tv itself, so far in limited use, I'm impressed.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10601 posts
10664 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 1:44 am
As for the tv itself, so far in limited use, I'm impressed.
Quite a vendor ordeal, I'm glad you locked in the TV.

The @Hibbing discount only seems to work at London and Whitby locations, but that may have unlocked additional Visions discounts.
Aug 7, 2005
369 posts
2 upvotes
How far away are y'all sitting back? I'm like 3ft away and can see all gaps in between the pixels :/

What your setups look like? :)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)