Cell Phones

Lg V10 @ 300$ or Axon 7 / One+3 /G5? V20??

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2017 7:12 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
NewsyL wrote: Using an Axon 7. It replaced a Samsung Galaxy S3.

It is doing OK. Glad I did not buy a GS7 or the GS7 Note. The V20 interested me due its' audio DAC's but it was twice as much at the time and with LG having issues with bootloops and the V20 was too new and unknown for this issue, it was a risky purchase.

The camera may be so so for many people but I don't use it for fine art photography so no big deal. I have real cameras for that.

I am really enjoying music via the integrated DAC. Play it through earbuds on flights and when home via a small headphone AMP and high quality headphones and the sound is a good as I have ever listened to.

What is an audio DAC?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
kotoula wrote: What is an audio DAC?
Well, technically, ALL phones come with a DAC (digital-to-analog converter). Any device that plays digital music has a DAC. I think he meant 'Hi-Fi 32 bit DAC'.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
terry0703 wrote: Well, technically, ALL phones come with a DAC (digital-to-analog converter). Any device that plays digital music has a DAC. I think he meant 'Hi-Fi 32 bit DAC'.
Correct - a premium HiFi 32bit DAC. The Axon 7 uses a single AKM AK4490EN DAC for audio/music. I use "audio" because I'm not certain how much it applies to the recording aspect. I do use the phone for voice notes after sales calls but cannot claim I hear a vast improvement over what I heard with my old old Samsung GS3.

The V20 has several "HiFi" DAC's dedicated to output and input/recording that LG promoted as being a key feature of that phone.

I was much more interested in the Axon 7 for its' audio sound performance than its' camera performance. Does it sound a whole lot better than a Samsung GS7/8 with their standard quality DAC? Couldn't tell you as I have not done a direct comparison but I'd bet it does at half the price. Does it sound better than my old RFD'd Creative MP3 player through my new RFD'd amp/headphones - yes it does.

Been having a lot of fun with Spotify, with their high quality downloads, going through their digital catalog of some of the old albums I have in storage. Hearing things I have never heard before in many recordings. Have found some oddities such as with the sound system in my vehicle - MP3's/WM3's played via the built-in USB port do not sound as good as via the phone connected via the auxiliary port as there is a notable difference with higher frequency sounds with the built-in source. Still investigating that. Going to have to try some zero loss recordings to see if I can hear the difference between them and 320kbps HQ Spotify and my own 320kbps VBR rips.

Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
NewsyL wrote: Correct - a premium HiFi 32bit DAC. The Axon 7 uses a single AKM AK4490EN DAC for audio/music. I use "audio" because I'm not certain how much it applies to the recording aspect. I do use the phone for voice notes after sales calls but cannot claim I hear a vast improvement over what I heard with my old old Samsung GS3.

The V20 has several "HiFi" DAC's dedicated to output and input/recording that LG promoted as being a key feature of that phone.

I was much more interested in the Axon 7 for its' audio sound performance than its' camera performance. Does it sound a whole lot better than a Samsung GS7/8 with their standard quality DAC? Couldn't tell you as I have not done a direct comparison but I'd bet it does at half the price. Does it sound better than my old RFD'd Creative MP3 player through my new RFD'd amp/headphones - yes it does.

Been having a lot of fun with Spotify, with their high quality downloads, going through their digital catalog of some of the old albums I have in storage. Hearing things I have never heard before in many recordings. Have found some oddities such as with the sound system in my vehicle - MP3's/WM3's played via the built-in USB port do not sound as good as via the phone connected via the auxiliary port as there is a notable difference with higher frequency sounds with the built-in source. Still investigating that. Going to have to try some zero loss recordings to see if I can hear the difference between them and 320kbps HQ Spotify and my own 320kbps VBR rips.

Does spotify allow you to upload music and store it for free? (like google play) If not free how much is it for the lowest plan? Is that where you archive or store your music collection?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
kotoula wrote: Does spotify allow you to upload music and store it for free? (like google play) If not free how much is it for the lowest plan? Is that where you archive or store your music collection?
I am a member of a Spotify Premium family plan. $14.99/mth CAD and inclusive of 6 family members who all reside at the same address.

https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/family/

I would not even think of uploading music as so far they have every album I have ever owned and desired to listen to again except for one - you won't find bootlegs from the 70's and 80's and KTEL collections. No ads with Premium, you get instant access to new releases (a 30 day wait period with the free version), high quality files over WiFi, and you can download high quality files (320kbps) to your device for listening when off grid. Plus over time it will build playlists for you based on your listening habits. The only negatives for me is their UI has some odd design quirks and they have no built-in equalizer in the app.

PS.... I see that a regular account is $9.99/mth CAD but they have an introductory offer of $0.99 CAD for the first 3 months and then $9.99/mth after that. Students can get Spotify Premium for $4.99/mth.

Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
NewsyL wrote: I am a member of a Spotify Premium family plan. $14.99/mth CAD and inclusive of 6 family members who all reside at the same address.

https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/family/

I would not even think of uploading music as so far they have every album I have ever owned and desired to listen to again except for one - you won't find bootlegs from the 70's and 80's and KTEL collections. No ads with Premium, you get instant access to new releases (a 30 day wait period with the free version), high quality files over WiFi, and you can download high quality files (320kbps) to your device for listening when off grid. Plus over time it will build playlists for you based on your listening habits. The only negatives for me is their UI has some odd design quirks and they have no built-in equalizer in the app.

PS.... I see that a regular account is $9.99/mth CAD but they have an introductory offer of $0.99 CAD for the first 3 months and then $9.99/mth after that. Students can get Spotify Premium for $4.99/mth.

Thanks alot, this is very helpful!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)