Liberal studies @ Ryerson

[OP]
Oct 14, 2007
34 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Liberal studies @ Ryerson

Hi,

I need suggestions on what lower level liberal studies (Table A) course to take for the winter term.

I didn't really like the first one I took -_-. I want an easy course, but also one that I will learn something (useful) in lol, anyone have any suggestions?

Someone suggested I take ECN 440, anyone here taken it before? Is it hard or worth taking?

Thanks.
73 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2007
1001 posts
1 upvote
lets have some table b suggestions too

for table a, take psy105. its good.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1022 posts
15 upvotes
I can't really suggest anything but I'm currently taking

GEO312 - Viva Las Vegas!
- 3 essays
- 1 exam
I'm going into the exam with an A-, so its pretty simple I guess. Lecture is very interesting (Dr. Michal Bardecki) but not really relative for everyday use. Maybe except if you're planning to visit Vegas haha.

HST110 - American History
- 1 essay
- Tutorial marked (group talk session)
- Mid-term
- Exam
This course has A LOT of reading, I'm going into the exam with a B-. Its alright, a lot of memorizing. Prof is Dr. Jenny Carson, and she's a cool professor. Once again no use for everyday situations, unless you like history. Personally took it because I had a chance to visit Washington D.C this summer and wanted to know how it came to be (course definitely answered my curiosity.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6802 posts
560 upvotes
I think i'm going to do the las vegas course... it sounds pretty fun, although three essays doesn't... can you elaborate a little on the essays? are they hard? long? 1500 words? no midterm? (sorry to distract the thread, haha)
Jul 18, 2006
662 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
No you fools take astronomy which is pcs 181. It is the most ridiculously easy and fun class you will ever have. No final exam, a super short essay that ull get a 90 on for sure, no book to buy, and 2 midterms that if u study 45 minutes for u will be set.

For table B if your french is decent take mid level french classes with Stephen Veron. Every class is a joke and he litterally goofs around non stop. no homework at all, take a couple notes, write an exam on some verbs, do a dictation or 2, and your set.

Both classes like i said, have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO homework at all. Actually french class has a quick project in groups but u can do it in a day and then your set for the term.
May 19, 2007
301 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
if u want easy then Caribbean studies.

for interesting, take philosophy of religion. and any politics courses taught by abbas gnamo, makes the material interesting
Nov 10, 2007
266 posts
3 upvotes
i was taking music this past semester, good class. No previous knowledge required (but will help a little, theory wise), and you have all your work spread out and it's very easy to get high marks, she practically hands them to you. My prof (think shes the only one) didn't give us an exam.
Oct 24, 2005
913 posts
163 upvotes
reneki wrote:
Dec 6th, 2007 11:16 am
i was taking music this past semester, good class. No previous knowledge required (but will help a little, theory wise), and you have all your work spread out and it's very easy to get high marks, she practically hands them to you. My prof (think shes the only one) didn't give us an exam.
What music course was this?

and agree with the comments about astronomy PCS181, great class, no textbook, easy essay, and just 2 tests that weren't too hard.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Nov 10, 2007
266 posts
3 upvotes
blarg wrote:
Dec 6th, 2007 12:09 pm
What music course was this?

and agree with the comments about astronomy PCS181, great class, no textbook, easy essay, and just 2 tests that weren't too hard.
MUS 101 021 - Intro to World and Early European Music - F2007
Dec 27, 2003
767 posts
40 upvotes
PHL214 Critical Thinking

Took it with James Cunningham as the prof. Pretty easy on marking and with the material being taught but as long as you don't mind being asked questions during class and possibly face some criticism if your answer is wrong. I believe I had bi-weekly quizzes, midterm, final and an essay (he essentially completed a good portion of it for you).

He is a little ... eccentric though, doesn't like people sitting in the back of the class, lots of stories, and remembers most student's names within a month. He also did a few unusual things during the semester such as wiping the chalkboard with his sock (when there was no brush around) and brought a few puppets to class (I forget why).
[OP]
Oct 14, 2007
34 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Wow I'm blind lol, never noticed Introduction to Astronomy on the list -_-. I just might take it, since I've always had an interest in that stuff.

But what about that course, ECN 440? Can't go wrong learning about stocks right? lol. Or any other one of those ECN course, are they any good?
Eternia wrote:Took it with James Cunningham as the prof.
Wtf!? James Cunningham teaches at Ryerson!? o.O

That guy came to my high school during my last year to give a presentation about how to make and save money, "Funny Money" I think it was called. He's funny and cool XD, never would've thought he's a uni. professor though...
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1230 posts
31 upvotes
Eternia wrote:
Dec 6th, 2007 1:18 pm
PHL214 Critical Thinking

Took it with James Cunningham as the prof. Pretty easy on marking and with the material being taught but as long as you don't mind being asked questions during class and possibly face some criticism if your answer is wrong. I believe I had bi-weekly quizzes, midterm, final and an essay (he essentially completed a good portion of it for you).

He is a little ... eccentric though, doesn't like people sitting in the back of the class, lots of stories, and remembers most student's names within a month. He also did a few unusual things during the semester such as wiping the chalkboard with his sock (when there was no brush around) and brought a few puppets to class (I forget why).
QFT. Cunningham was awesome. And get back to studying! Can't fail those courses!
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1022 posts
15 upvotes
matdwyer wrote:
Dec 6th, 2007 4:26 am
I think i'm going to do the las vegas course... it sounds pretty fun, although three essays doesn't... can you elaborate a little on the essays? are they hard? long? 1500 words? no midterm? (sorry to distract the thread, haha)
Essays are not that hard my first one I got a 66% (LOL, but I experimented with my second essay and got my first 'A' on a university essay EVER!) , 2500 words or 6 pages. All of them relate to vegas haha.

Here's the course syllabus: http://www.geography.ryerson.ca/bardeck ... on2007.htm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7400 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
pop culture at any university is pretty easy.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.