Careers

Liberals plan on a major boost to the minimum wage jumping from the current $11.40 to as high as $15

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 5:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40882 posts
9792 upvotes

Liberals plan on a major boost to the minimum wage jumping from the current $11.40 to as high as $15

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark ... -cohn.html

Beyond the legal reforms, the Liberals plan on a major boost to the minimum wage starting this year, jumping from the current $11.40 an hour to as high as $15 when it is fully phased in. A wage hike was not part of the Changing Workplaces mandate, and is being announced separately — but it is very much linked to the reforms.

Flynn notes that any worker still judges his worth by his wage, no matter the working conditions. Back in 2014, the Liberals announced with great fanfare that they had come up with a new mechanism to set a fair base wage of $11 an hour, with regular adjustments for inflation, which would insulate the process from political pressures while putting Ontario ahead of the pack.
349 replies
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt it will ever happen. Big businesses will block it easily
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40882 posts
9792 upvotes
picard12 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:58 am
I doubt it will ever happen. Big businesses will block it easily
by lobbying?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1143 posts
337 upvotes
New York City
This will likely increase prices on goods and services for consumers. I have no problem with it, however most RFDer would. Other potential impact is more jobs outsourced

Many folks complain how expensive Australia is, which has one of the highest minimum wages in the world.
Mar 18, 2015
829 posts
166 upvotes
Antarctica
Things are more expensive not due to min wage but because the managers still want annual positive bonus increases and the owners want another merc/yacht/gold plated toilets and shareholders want more $$$ to compete in the game of power/wealth/feeling good/competing with the joneses.

People can bend it all as they want but that is the truth. Once there are no "poor" left due to increasing economic disparity or no "poor countries" left due to the devastated biosphere, there will be no more grunts to do the dirty work. That is unless automation does it sooner.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8218 posts
2392 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Crichtonfan wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:26 pm
Things are more expensive not due to min wage but because the managers still want annual positive bonus increases and the owners want another merc/yacht/gold plated toilets and shareholders want more $$$ to compete in the game of power/wealth/feeling good/competing with the joneses.

People can bend it all as they want but that is the truth. Once there are no "poor" left due to increasing economic disparity or no "poor countries" left due to the devastated biosphere, there will be no more grunts to do the dirty work. That is unless automation does it sooner.
I agree with execs fattening their pockets. But to say wages don't have anything to do with COG increasing? Come on!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27014 posts
1724 upvotes
Winnipeg
McKinsey wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:39 am
This will likely increase prices on goods and services for consumers. I have no problem with it, however most RFDer would. Other potential impact is more jobs outsourced

Many folks complain how expensive Australia is, which has one of the highest minimum wages in the world.
actually australia got other issues, because the same digital goods sold online is more in australia (even after fx)
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1143 posts
337 upvotes
New York City
divx wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:00 pm
actually australia got other issues, because the same digital goods sold online is more in australia (even after fx)
True on that point. My original statement remains, any business owners/entrepreneurs (anyone that has an uncle that owns a restaurant etc..) will agree.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3675 posts
320 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm really not sure if this is a good thing or bad. On one hand, I do think everyone deserves a chance to make a decent living but I do think this will increase the price of some goods and services.

(e.g. Fast food restaurants would likely suffer - if all the staff are getting almost 50% raise, chances are, a BigMac will cost more. Retail is probably going to suffer as it's going to be more expensive to have staff waiting on customers and business owners are really going to start addressing staff idle time). Should someone at McDonald's make $15/hour to flip burgers or take orders? Should someone at Wal-Mart or at a grocery store make $15/hour to restock shelves or to push a broom.

I think this might also hurt people with special needs. These people might want to work but might not be able to perform as well or as fast as a "typical" employee. If minimum wage is low, employers might hire them to give them a chance and because it's not that much money and the work has to be done but if minimum wage is too high, the same employer might decide that unfortunately, the cost of that employee is just too high for the work that they're able to do ...
Feb 14, 2016
865 posts
265 upvotes
thats cool, I guess we will see price of everything else double now
Last edited by JIB9022 on May 19th, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16973 posts
1858 upvotes
GTA West
The Lieberals must be really worried about this election. They realised that union bribes are no longer big enough to save them, so they come out with the latest reforms mainly affecting low paying jobs, and minimum wage increase.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7495 posts
1278 upvotes
Rising minimum wage will change nothing. Everything will become more expensive proportionally because of the higher wage shops have to pay. It's a double edge sword. I'm not an analyst so not sure exactly what impact will have but I doubt much will change.

Look at other places like Finland. Very high minimum wage, but very high taxes and living cost.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4729 posts
400 upvotes
Scarborough
useless bs from this so-called liberal $hit
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2737 posts
297 upvotes
Ottawa
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:28 pm
Rising minimum wage will change nothing. Everything will become more expensive proportionally because of the higher wage shops have to pay. It's a double edge sword. I'm not an analyst so not sure exactly what impact will have but I doubt much will change.

Look at other places like Finland. Very high minimum wage, but very high taxes and living cost.
Don't forget the people currently making $15 an hour; their waves aren't going increase as a result. Similarly, retirees aren't goung to find their savings correspondingly increase in value.

I think we can all agree that from a moral, ethical point of view everyone deserves a good wage, good healthcare, good housing and food, etc. However, fron a practical point of view it's not always possible.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2737 posts
297 upvotes
Ottawa
apnayloags wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:32 pm
useless bs from this so-called liberal $hit
Actually, you can say shit now on RFD!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)