Careers

Liberals plan on a major boost to the minimum wage jumping from the current $11.40 to as high as $15

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2017 11:56 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3319 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
was flying on Easyjet in Italy and found out there are no staff helping you and tagging your luggage. Everything is self serve. you put your luggage onto the belt, weight it and it will print out a tag for you to tag onto the luggage and off it goes. If it is overweight i think you can pay from the machine on the spot. not sure if they have minimum wage in Italy though.

Last edited by marktang on Jun 29th, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25622 posts
5808 upvotes
GTHA
marktang wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 3:09 pm
not sure if they have minimum wage in Italy though.
There is no minimum wage amount in the European nation of Italy, as the amount one is paid is agreed upon through collective bargaining agreements on a job to job basis.

Although according to Article 36 of the Constitution the wages must be proportionate to the quality and quantity of work done and also high enough to provide a minimum subsistence for the worker and his family, in Italy there is no minimum wage by law, and hence there is no separate legislation for that. Around half of the employees in the country are covered by a collective bargaining agreement, where wages are always set.

Source: http://www.wageindicator.org/main/salar ... wage/italy
Oct 6, 2015
641 posts
312 upvotes
So any federally regulated employer who has minimum wage employees will simply outsource to provincially regulated outsourcing companies. Basically this 'boost' is useless.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4027 posts
1293 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 4:52 pm
Minimum wage hike won’t bring ‘doom and gloom,’ economists say

Open letter by 40 Canadian economists endorses proposed provincial wage increase.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/0 ... s-say.html
many intellectuals were also part of the communist ideals but that doesn't mean they're right.

Milton friedman would not have supported increases like this.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1686 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Crichtonfan wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:26 pm
Things are more expensive not due to min wage but because the managers still want annual positive bonus increases and the owners want another merc/yacht/gold plated toilets and shareholders want more $$$ to compete in the game of power/wealth/feeling good/competing with the joneses.

People can bend it all as they want but that is the truth. Once there are no "poor" left due to increasing economic disparity or no "poor countries" left due to the devastated biosphere, there will be no more grunts to do the dirty work. That is unless automation does it sooner.
Exactly. The increasing minimum wage increases cost of living simply because corporations and shareholders don't want to lose any profits.

There was a study done to show that Walmart could increase their starting wage to $15 across USA and they could cover the costs by increasing most items by just a few cents... OR by the shareholders and execs losing maybe 0.1% of their profits.

Of course they're going to go the route of increasing prices and/or firing staff.
This message have been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Feb 8, 2017
238 posts
91 upvotes
marktang wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 3:09 pm
was flying on Easyjet in Italy and found out there are no staff helping you and tagging your luggage. Everything is self serve. you put your luggage onto the belt, weight it and it will print out a tag for you to tag onto the luggage and off it goes. If it is overweight i think you can pay from the machine on the spot. not sure if they have minimum wage in Italy though.

don't they have same thing at pearson? i know they have check in baggage drop counters but to avoid the line you can check in online or kiosk, print baggage tags and self drop the bags? I remember a big machine by US customs in T3 where you dropped your bag before going through security. saved a bit of time rather than lining up to check in and check bags at a counter.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3319 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
aubgray1 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 10:28 am
don't they have same thing at pearson? i know they have check in baggage drop counters but to avoid the line you can check in online or kiosk, print baggage tags and self drop the bags? I remember a big machine by US customs in T3 where you dropped your bag before going through security. saved a bit of time rather than lining up to check in and check bags at a counter.
ya but it doesnt weight it at the same time i think...and this is for individual airlines rather than a drop off machine. Never used T3 to go to US so i have no idea.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Jan 23, 2016
659 posts
113 upvotes
North York, ON
alanbrenton wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 6:22 pm
I guess there will be fewer smaller tipping.
Smaller? If you're making 15/hour to sling food the tip will be 0. Too bad for the cute college servers. They can pull 300/night. Not anymore.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40103 posts
9413 upvotes
Sparky9087 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 7:01 pm
Smaller? If you're making 15/hour to sling food the tip will be 0. Too bad for the cute college servers. They can pull 300/night. Not anymore.
The post above me said some sort of relief. I admit not having read the article and just thought they may not get paid $14/hr. Relief may be through some tax credit so yes, I am with you.

So no more 10% before tax then, I would love not to have to tip. :)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25622 posts
5808 upvotes
GTHA
Sparky9087 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 7:01 pm
If they serve alcohol, their minimum hourly wage jump from $9.90 now to $12.20 on Jan. 1, and $13.05, the year after that.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4062 posts
1097 upvotes
Such a drastic minimum wage increase will have a ripple effect to all other labour segments- for e.g. those people who are already making $16-20 per hour working some desk admin job will now demand similar increases to "keep up", government/hospital union bargaining, etc.

Increasing the minimum wage by such a whopping amount won't affect just minimum wage workers and small business owners; it will affect EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. Hence why an uninformed, rash, knee-jerk, populist motion will be more likely than not, disastrous.