Careers

Liberals plan on a major boost to the minimum wage jumping from the current $11.40 to as high as $15

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 5:51 pm
Feb 19, 2017
764 posts
366 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:20 am
Where's the Ontario specific study on that? Everybody knows it was a 'wow' driven political move. No warning to anybody, no consultation, no known study. They just stole the idea from other jurisdictions, especially the US where it was making bigger headlines.
About right on that one
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1718 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:20 am
Where's the Ontario specific study on that? Everybody knows it was a 'wow' driven political move. No warning to anybody, no consultation, no known study. They just stole the idea from other jurisdictions, especially the US where it was making bigger headlines.
First link I found Googling for "Ontario poverty line"

[removed link. I don't think it actually showed any numbers.. will try to find the Statscan numbers]

I'm sure you can find other sources.

Also, yes. This was a political move by the Liberals. Just like with the Liberal Party of Canada stealing ideas from NDP to win votes, the Ontario Liberals are doing the same. Election time is soon...

But that doesn't mean it's a wrong move.
This message have been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9568 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 1:46 pm
First link I found Googling for "Ontario poverty line"

[removed link. I don't think it actually showed any numbers.. will try to find the Statscan numbers]

I'm sure you can find other sources.

Also, yes. This was a political move by the Liberals. Just like with the Liberal Party of Canada stealing ideas from NDP to win votes, the Ontario Liberals are doing the same. Election time is soon...

But that doesn't mean it's a wrong move.
Simplistic solution to a more complex problem for political gain. It's also known, and alot of businesses are saying this, it's not necessarily the amount, but the timing to implement a change in the wage rate. It's obvious this was timed to coerce and provide an ultimatum to the electorate "hey, vote for me and then you get that last $15/hr". Such a sly move. If they were really serious, they would have gotten a more precise figure following a more exhaustive study. But nope.. let's just go with what was done in the US and sell it as our own without really seeing what it should be (so who cares of certain business owners or the ramifications including less hiring or hours for those minimum wage workers).

Has it occurred that this may also result in more losers and fewer winners due to understaffing/less hours, more automated services, more stress for the few workers, etc. Nope,. Let's win this election and screw people along the process to sell the hopes that won't really bring them out of poverty. I personally know people who would benefit from this. But that many who expected to now live in this new lap of luxury will start complaining about other things due to the unintended consequences from an action done without any risk assessment.

Ask them renters (new ones or moving ones) how the new rules that was supposed to be their saviour has helped them. It's increased rental prices and made landlords much more pickier.
Feb 19, 2017
764 posts
366 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 2:29 pm
Simplistic solution to a more complex problem for political gain. It's also known, and alot of businesses are saying this, it's not necessarily the amount, but the timing to implement a change in the wage rate. It's obvious this was timed to coerce and provide an ultimatum to the electorate "hey, vote for me and then you get that last $15/hr". Such a sly move. If they were really serious, they would have gotten a more precise figure following a more exhaustive study. But nope.. let's just go with what was done in the US and sell it as our own without really seeing what it should be (so who cares of certain business owners or the ramifications including less hiring or hours for those minimum wage workers).

Has it occurred that this may also result in more losers and fewer winners due to understaffing/less hours, more automated services, more stress for the few workers, etc. Nope,. Let's win this election and screw people along the process to sell the hopes that won't really bring them out of poverty. I personally know people who would benefit from this. But that many who expected to now live in this new lap of luxury will start complaining about other things due to the unintended consequences from an action done without any risk assessment.

Ask them renters (new ones or moving ones) how the new rules that was supposed to be their saviour has helped them. It's increased rental prices and made landlords much more pickier.
It is quite clear this was a move with a clear political gain in mind. Was it because it was sound economic policy? No that would have been an exhaustive study with fact and details and not a sound-bite $15.00 an hour. Not to mention put into place over a more manageable period of time.

Min wage crap jobs (they usually are not good ones let's face it) are essential for the youth population. They gain experience and spending money. Hell every entry level career usually states something like 2-3 years experience. I got into my career for the sole fact I did customer service for almost 7 years, it wasn't great, I didn't like it, certainly didn't like being paid like $8 something an hour but between having the option of having that $8.00 starting job and no job? I would chose that starting job. Forcing more youth out of employment opportunities is not going to help anyone except the 40-something lifer working at Walmart complaining they can't support their family.

With rental properties now you'll just have landlords itching at everything to kick out tenants so they can bring in new ones at actual reflective rents with new tenants. It's not good for the tenants who have to worry about landlords trying everything they can to remove their renters after a few years.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Feb 16, 2013
521 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:43 pm
Don't forget the people currently making $15 an hour; their waves aren't going increase as a result. Similarly, retirees aren't goung to find their savings correspondingly increase in value.
Exactly this.
Government is trying to inflate away fixed income earners.
Pensions, retirees etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2741 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
cowbunpants wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 4:31 pm
Exactly this.
Government is trying to inflate away fixed income earners.
Pensions, retirees etc.
The liberals can live with that. Pensioners/retirees usually vote Conservative anyway.
Aug 19, 2016
744 posts
259 upvotes
so, how do your companies deal with this rate hike?
I mean, the most junior entry level at our company is getting $30-$35k. These jobs require post-secondary education. And yet the minimum wage will be close to $30k.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4749 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 1:09 pm
so, how do your companies deal with this rate hike?
I mean, the most junior entry level at our company is getting $30-$35k. These jobs require post-secondary education. And yet the minimum wage will be close to $30k.
If your company can't afford to start new grads for a little more, they may need to rethink their business model.

Otherwise your company has to feed them more fairy tales about their opportunities that they will get, and rinse and repeat a little more often.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Aug 19, 2016
744 posts
259 upvotes
What happens to those that are making well above minimum wage? With this hike, then they make lesser above the minimum wage. Should everyone in the company get a bump?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4749 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
IMO anyone within 1.5x MW "should" get a bump in order for service value to be above working at McDs. Of course no company is obliged to increase anyone's wage and some might not.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3905 posts
1104 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 9:44 pm
IMO anyone within 1.5x MW "should" get a bump in order for service value to be above working at McDs. Of course no company is obliged to increase anyone's wage and some might not.
Yeah, I feel those making $15-20 will be hurt the most.

Companies are not likely to raise the wage of someone making $15 to $21 so these people will actually fall behind in terms of purchasing power.

I imagine some people who make $15 actually can afford going out to eat. Increased costs will make eating out less affordable for those people.

Then food service companies will have to deal with lower demand. Hmmm ..... I wonder who will get less hours?
Jul 7, 2013
130 posts
24 upvotes
Guelph
I'm currently in the process of opening up a franchise restaurant. I've since put this on hold until all this gets sorted out. When crunching the numbers only the top grossing shops will be able to survive and this will still hurt them significantly.

Minimum wage jobs were never meant to support a family or dependants. If we have to many people working these jobs to support families then there are greated underlying issues that need to be addresses. This band aid solution will not fix anything.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2741 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
thisisatest wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 10:16 am
I'm currently in the process of opening up a franchise restaurant. I've since put this on hold until all this gets sorted out. When crunching the numbers only the top grossing shops will be able to survive and this will still hurt them significantly.

Minimum wage jobs were never meant to support a family or dependants. If we have to many people working these jobs to support families then there are greated underlying issues that need to be addresses. This band aid solution will not fix anything.
The funny thing is that Liberals are usually pro small-business, yet these proposals are going to make it harder for them to compete. I suspect a lot of "mom and pop" business are going to have mom and pop work 60+ hours a week to stay afloat.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4729 posts
400 upvotes
Scarborough
Saw it the other day in a Tims. Only one order-taker and a long lineup of frustrated customers waiting forever for their breakfasts, lol.

It's happening faster than ya think, businesses cutting down on labor costs/hours/manpower