• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2016 4:21 am
Tags:
None
Mar 2, 2008
890 posts
Stouffville/Markham

License Plate Transfer Question

I have a quick question regarding transferring license plates. I reside in Ontario btw.

Basically, my mom's car was recently totaled and her new car she will be getting a new plate for it. However, my question is how can we transfer her plate to my dad because my dad wants to use that old plate from my mom on his current car.

Lets make this more simple, my mom's old car had plate "123" and my dad has a current plate of "456", basically because the old car with "123" is gone, we want to transfer the "123" plate from my mom to my dad, so that he can use the "123" plate on his current "456" car.

Please advise. Thanks.
18 replies
[OP]
Mar 2, 2008
890 posts
Stouffville/Markham
afretes wrote:
Feb 15th, 2010 7:42 pm
There is a form that allows the transfer of plates between spouses. I've done it many times.
Can this form be found online? or Just at the office locations. I tried finding forms online at the licensing website, but no luck.

And so, once the plate is transfered to my dad, how does he swap the two plates, putting the "123" onto his car and return the "456" plate. Is there another form?

Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2009
3420 posts
284 upvotes
Caledon
I'm not sure about finding it online. They have them at the license office.
You'd have to get one and take it home for both your parents to fill it up and sign it, or they can go there together.

If you return your plates to get a refund on the sticker, you'll loose the actual personalized plate. You can simply hang on to it for future use along with the plate portion of the ownership.
Alex Fretes
Email me for more details on VWs and Audis
Thank me if you found my post helpful!
[OP]
Mar 2, 2008
890 posts
Stouffville/Markham
afretes wrote:
Feb 15th, 2010 8:13 pm
I'm not sure about finding it online. They have them at the license office.
You'd have to get one and take it home for both your parents to fill it up and sign it, or they can go there together.

If you return your plates to get a refund on the sticker, you'll loose the actual personalized plate. You can simply hang on to it for future use along with the plate portion of the ownership.
Actually both plates are just normal plates...not personalized..its just the "123" is "better" than "456" haha...
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
1625 posts
93 upvotes
I am actually planning to do this in the near future (transferring a plate from my parent's name to my name).

There's a form called "Plate Transfer and/or Spouse Declaration" and I got it from the MoT center.

The form number I see on mine is SR-LV-139 08-05

I am guessing you can get this online at www.serviceontario.ca because that site is on the form.
Feb 17, 2008
15 posts
4 upvotes
As it turns out, at least as of March 2011, this form is not formally available anywhere online. I found it annoying to have to stand in line at a busy ServiceOntario office just to get a form, so for the benefit of humanity, I've scanned the form that I've received and am posting a link to it here (RFD allows PDF only up to 20KB, which is way too small, hence the link to a MediaFire share).

http://www.mediafire.com/?mttpdc28xcsnc

The link contains 3 files as follows:
  • English version of "2011" form titled: Spouse Declaration (Safety Standard Certificate Exemption) and/or Plate Transfer Declaration
  • French version of "2011" form titled: Declaration des conjoints (exemption de certificat de securite) ou declaration de transfert des plaques d'immatriculation
  • English version of "2005" form titled: Plate Transfer and/or Spouce Declaration (Spouse to Spouse/Same Sex-Partner/Parent to Child/Child to Parent)
Enjoy transferring to your heart's content :-)
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
15 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Apr 16th, 2011 11:52 am
Many thanks for this! Forms number 1 and 3 seem to be virtually identical - is it enough to fill out number 1 alone if all I want to do is transfer plates?

Uh, wouldn't it take less energy to pick up the phone and ASK your local MOT outlet, rather than rely on the armchair lawyers here? DUH! :facepalm:
Feb 17, 2008
15 posts
4 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Apr 16th, 2011 11:52 am
Many thanks for this! Forms number 1 and 3 seem to be virtually identical - is it enough to fill out number 1 alone if all I want to do is transfer plates?
The 2011 form is the current one (as of March 2011) and, as far as plate transfers are concerned, only allows inter-spouse transfer. I included the 2005 form because I happened to have one and it was recently also used by a dealer to do the inter-spouse transfer with full success; the nice thing about the 2005 form is that it also supports parent-child transfers. Anyway, if you're doing a spouse transfer, either 2011 or 2005 will work and I have direct recent experience with both working: the 2005 was used in Dec 2010 and 2011 was used in March 2011. You certainly don't need to fill in/submit both forms.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
2770 posts
38 upvotes
Home
So, this can only be done between spouse.
Can it be done from dad to a daughter/son?
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours. If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with :|
Feb 17, 2008
15 posts
4 upvotes
professionaldude wrote:
Apr 16th, 2011 9:42 pm
So, this can only be done between spouse.
Can it be done from dad to a daughter/son?
I believe license plates in Ontario can be transferred between spouses and between parents/children (either way). I don't know what the current process is for parent/child. For spouses, however, it's just fill the appropriate section of the 2011 form, sign, and take to Service Ontario office with all the other backup info (like plate permit, etc.)
Jan 19, 2011
2 posts
1 upvote
Markham, Ontario
LexxM3 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2011 2:13 am
I believe license plates in Ontario can be transferred between spouses and between parents/children (either way). I don't know what the current process is for parent/child. For spouses, however, it's just fill the appropriate section of the 2011 form, sign, and take to Service Ontario office with all the other backup info (like plate permit, etc.)

Sorry for the bump, but I just want to say for any others who might stumble upon this thread that it's okay to use that form for any valid (spouse,child, etc.) plate transfer. I called up service Ontario and through their automated help system [English - 2 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 1] they automatically faxed me this exact form that LexxM3 uploaded!

Also that automated help system gives all the steps in order to transfer a vehicle ownership too! It's a pretty sweet! :D
Dec 16, 2005
5 posts
1 upvote
LexxM3 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2011 4:19 pm
As it turns out, at least as of March 2011, this form is not formally available anywhere online. I found it annoying to have to stand in line at a busy ServiceOntario office just to get a form, so for the benefit of humanity, I've scanned the form that I've received and am posting a link to it here (RFD allows PDF only up to 20KB, which is way too small, hence the link to a MediaFire share).

http://www.mediafire.com/?mttpdc28xcsnc

The link contains 3 files as follows:
  • English version of "2011" form titled: Spouse Declaration (Safety Standard Certificate Exemption) and/or Plate Transfer Declaration
  • French version of "2011" form titled: Declaration des conjoints (exemption de certificat de securite) ou declaration de transfert des plaques d'immatriculation
  • English version of "2005" form titled: Plate Transfer and/or Spouce Declaration (Spouse to Spouse/Same Sex-Partner/Parent to Child/Child to Parent)
Enjoy transferring to your heart's content :-)
Old, but I did find the online version of the "2011" thanks to this thread.

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/ ... V-139E.pdf
× < >