Home & Garden

Lied to by salesperson. Bonded leather couch.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2019 4:45 pm
[OP]
Nov 24, 2016
671 posts
649 upvotes

Lied to by salesperson. Bonded leather couch.

So i bought a sectional from a store. When I asked the salesperson if this was real genuine leather couch he said it was the for "the area you touch". So I asked does that mean the sides are bonded leather and he said yes. Well I the paid full amount and when I got home it occurred to me that the invoice doesn't state what material the sectional is. I looked up the manufacturer's website and it says polyurethane. I call the store no one answers. I email, also no replies. I go back to the store and the guy said it was too late to cancel the order and claims he never stated it was real genuine leather. On the invoice it says no refund/no exchange but that was never explained to me although it has my signature. I don't think I have any option right now except to take the lost and just wait for delivery. Any advice? The store wants more money to "make it genuine leather" but I honestly don't think I will be giving them anymore money.

*Update*So an update to the situation. They didn't refund me in cash, they did however give me the credit equivalent which I can use for their warehouse so I will take it as a small lost. Still beats getting a bonded leather sectional that will start peeling within a year. Legally it would have been pretty difficult to fight this case because I signed the invoice which pretty much waived all my rights in the fine print (stupid on my part). The sum was not worth pursuing in a small claims court although when I was conversing with the salesperson I never did state that it was off the tables. The "boss" was actually more of a dick than the salesperson. This was definitely a learning experience and I didn't have anyone else to blame but myself. The sales practice of the company is questionable, but I will just leave it at that. Revealing the company will probably not be very wise for me to do at the moment. But I doubt anyone reading this will make the same mistake I did.

If anyone has ever been in a similar situation I suggest you read up the competition bureau and consumers protection act. The competition bureau actually doesn't help with refunds but the thought of being investigated might "scare" the business into providing some sort of resolution. While the consumers protection act does help with refunds I think what they do is very limited in terms of an investigation. Mainly I just used them as ammo while not being overly aggressive.

TLDR: When buying anything don't take the word of the salesperson for what it is. Unless you are recording the conversation. Always make sure whatever you buy especially in the case of furniture make sure you have the right material listed. For example in my case it was a sectional but they never stated what the make of the furniture is in the invoice. The one they showed was leather top grain or full grain the one they sold to me was polyurethane. In my case I should have had full grain/top grain leather put in the invoice.
Last edited by MastaOogway on Jun 14th, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6106 posts
2675 upvotes
Paris
What kind of timeframe between purchase and you going back to the store?
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7401 posts
1855 upvotes
MastaOogway wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 1:31 am
So i bought a sectional from a store. When I asked the salesperson if this was real genuine leather couch he said it was the for "the area you touch". So I asked does that mean the sides are bonded leather and he said yes. Well I the paid full amount and when I got home it occurred to me that the invoice doesn't state what material the sectional is. I looked up the manufacturer's website and it says polyurethane. I call the store no one answers. I email, also no replies. I go back to the store and the guy said it was too late to cancel the order and claims he never stated it was real genuine leather. On the invoice it says no refund/no exchange but that was never explained to me although it has my signature. I don't think I have any option right now except to take the lost and just wait for delivery. Any advice? The store wants more money to "make it genuine leather" but I honestly don't think I will be giving them anymore money.
Lessen learned however since you haven't taken delivery you should speak with the store manager and not the salesman. Hope you didn't pay too much and I would not upgrade to leather, sounds like a mom and pop store, just take you business somewhere else.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
7752 posts
2919 upvotes
Those mom and pop/small store type places.. I don't buy from them for that reason. The return/exchange policies are usually bad for the customer. Think you're screwed because now it's he said vs she said and there's nothing on the bill.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2064 posts
1402 upvotes
SW Ontario
Call your credit card company and flag the charge
Dec 28, 2010
494 posts
203 upvotes
I don't think there is much you can do, maybe I'm ignorant but one can determine the difference between real leather and polyurethane. I find "the area you touch" a sleazy answer tbh, a red flag I would have walked away.
Actions speak louder than words
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1843 posts
838 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:05 am
Call your credit card company and flag the charge
The store sends CC company a copy of the bill with OPs signature on it, he's still stuck paying for the couch

OP should have done the research before committing to the purchase.
Nov 16, 2011
843 posts
550 upvotes
HAMILTON
You signed the invoice without reading it and approved the payment. It belongs to you now.

This is a good learning experience, always read the documents your are signing.

You could have/should have read tag on the product OR looked it up on line before paying.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6608 posts
1622 upvotes
Maple
OP
Is the sofa delivered.? You still can cancel or refuse delivery. We had done that with The Bricks.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2064 posts
1402 upvotes
SW Ontario
schade wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:37 am
The store sends CC company a copy of the bill with OPs signature on it, he's still stuck paying for the couch

OP should have done the research before committing to the purchase.
Depends on the CC I guess ... my Scotia Visa is awesome for dealing with this sort of nonsense
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1591 posts
901 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
OP - You may have a claim for deceptive practices against the store, however that is an extremely big MAY. Go back to the store, look/inspect the floor model that you based your purchase on.
Find the Material tag as it has to remain on the couch until it is sold off the floor. If you do not find that tag then you may have a claim but you will have to take photos of that couch whereby the store itself may object. If they do object be sure that your smart phone is recording the whole encounter.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Nov 17, 2014
643 posts
358 upvotes
Ontario
Who wants to sit on a dead cow anyways?
May 8, 2007
876 posts
226 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
I had a similar experience with a small local furniture store, however they took the sofa set back no problem, I had it a few days. Now I have the impression most salespeople do not really know which parts of a sofa are real leather (if any), they are just guessing.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2706 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
Why not just tell your CC company....they'll refund you the amount and let them deal with it.