Lifetime Warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 10:44 pm
[OP]
Feb 19, 2017
262 posts
107 upvotes

Lifetime Warranty

A Honda dealer in my area is offering lifetime warranties on the powertrain (engine, transmission, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive) backed by an insurance company.
Is this basically a worthless policy that the insurance company will try to back out of with the tiniest infraction or will the mandated maintenance be more expensive than this is worth?
32 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26970 posts
3286 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Read the fine print. It probably states lifetime of the car which could be 4 to 5 years
Feb 4, 2017
52 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
are they offering this at the time of sale(when buying new vehicle)? or is this being offered as a service when you bring your car in for maint.?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28751 posts
4550 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a "lifetime" engine warranty on my KIA Optima. I did read the fine print and there were very specific conditions that had to be met. I had to have "lifetime " proof that I maintained the car as per manufacturers recommendation. I had to have proof that I did all required and recommended maintenance that could affect the engine and a few other things.
Meeting the fine print and conditions are what are important if your ever intend to make a claim to you need to know them. If it is being given to you by the dealer, then it costs you nothing and is as much marketing as anything else.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17647 posts
5689 upvotes
Ottawa
With the lifetime warranty, you are also required to follow their lifetime maintenance program $$$
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21008 posts
2070 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:41 am
A Honda dealer in my area is offering lifetime warranties on the powertrain (engine, transmission, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive) backed by an insurance company.
Is this basically a worthless policy that the insurance company will try to back out of with the tiniest infraction or will the mandated maintenance be more expensive than this is worth?

What does the fine print say? Can you follow it to the letter?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2726 posts
1934 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lifetime coverage if you pay that stealership $200 per oil change every 2000km, $100 air filter change every odd month of the year, $1000 Brake job every 6 months.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4233 posts
930 upvotes
Halifax
all warranties treat with scrutiny. Too many times i've been screwed over by warranties. just recently a company would not give me the lifetime warranty on their product because I had no receipt... you can't realistically keep a receipt for a lifetime. before you say, scan it, email it, etc.... this was from the 90's before then. AND if I had a scan copy, most terms want the "original" not a scanned copy.

Anyways, yeah...most warranties are garbage. Read the fine print, chances are it goes against you and is not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5705 posts
3998 upvotes
GTA
Think about this. The dealer is selling the warranty to make a profit. Now think about how you could come out ahead, where the dealer loses and you profit?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9768 posts
907 upvotes
RFD
What happens to their lifetime warranty when the dealer changes management? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5705 posts
3998 upvotes
GTA
radeonboy wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:52 pm
What happens to their lifetime warranty when the dealer changes management? Face With Tears Of Joy
Good point. There was a post on RFD not too long ago about a dealer no longer honouring lifetime oil changes because the ownership changed.
Apr 8, 2010
479 posts
166 upvotes
toronto
i wonder if the lifetime is on parts only.. I recall Midas 30yrs ago did lifetime on their brake pads. they'd install the crappiest set and then you'd have to pay them for the labour so was a money grab for them
Dec 22, 2008
839 posts
292 upvotes
Vancouver
The only extra insurance i got was gap plus for first 2 years.

But extended warranties suck from dealers because you have to do the maintenance at the dealership.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2017
262 posts
107 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 4:07 am
Read the fine print. It probably states lifetime of the car which could be 4 to 5 years
No. Then they wouldn't call it lifetime would they? I'd like to see them try to argue the "lifetime" of a vehicle is 4 years in front of a judge.