• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2017 10:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 7, 2017
20 posts
1 upvote

Light/lamp replacement

The house I'm buying is outfitted with a ridiculous number of lights that use GU-10 (at best) and MR-16 bulbs (at worst) There must be some 40-60+ on the main floor - the previous owners were art collectors and must have chosen these to highlight the art collection.

We don't want the power bills they must have been paying so wondering if there is a cheap source of GU-10 CFL or LED retrofit bulbs that make sense to buy. I think I will replace the transformer fixtures (what with?)

Just wish I could get cheap Chinese LEDs.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1606 posts
314 upvotes
Windsor
What province? I'm not sure about MR16 replacements (those are 12v, no?), but the Gu10 aren't too hard to come by, and while they seem spendy, LEDs are reliable, and "waste" heat is considerably less than what you're already got.

Quick Google showed me these: https://www.lowes.ca/led-light-bulbs/ge ... 28136.html
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2017
20 posts
1 upvote
BC.

I did a count of light bulbs in he inside of the house.

30 E 11 (PITA s they're not that easy to find). I'm assuming they're E-11s due to the 11mm base.

83 tracks lights of which 14 use GU-10s and the rest (69) MR-16

53 Standard - got 8 GE CFLs at a thrift store (NIB) for $6 + PST which is a small start
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1606 posts
314 upvotes
Windsor
thriftshopper wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:38 pm
BC.

I did a count of light bulbs in he inside of the house.

30 E 11 (PITA s they're not that easy to find). I'm assuming they're E-11s due to the 11mm base.

83 tracks lights of which 14 use GU-10s and the rest (69) MR-16

53 Standard - got 8 GE CFLs at a thrift store (NIB) for $6 + PST which is a small start
With that many bulbs, I'd be searching online; not sure how many can be replaced with LEDs, but I'd imagine a lot of them can. As well, unless you're in love with those fixtures, you might want to look at swapping them for more logical/simple options.

As for using CFLs: be warned they flicker (imperceptible by some people), they take a few seconds to get to full brightness, the color spectrum is generally pretty bad, and they tend not to last very long (especially if they're turned on and off often, or they're in a fixture where the base gets hot).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2017
20 posts
1 upvote
Some good news: The E11s are actually E12s but bulbs are still expensive.

I did find IKEA has decently-priced (for Canada) E26s LEDs (dim at 400 or 600 lumens but all the fixtures are double except two lamps that are 9 bulb ones. $1.39 so I will get those Wednesday.

I've previously bought subsidized CFLS south of the border but that option isn't easily available to me now. Don't notice the flickering (unlike tubes with bad ballast?) and have noticed some are instant on while other take time, and of course they're not suitable for short cycle. I've never had bad luck with spectrum but have seen some bulbs with a really blue hue light.

The track lights are unfortunately a PITA to replace due to placement, lmost right by the wall in all rooms except the hallway for the sole purpose of illuminating art.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7585 posts
1672 upvotes
Brampton
If you have that many bulbs would it be worth while for you to "arbitrage" getting LED bulbs from Someone in Ontario? When we have our OPG coupon events they're down to $1 or less a bulb. Even with shipping that's gotta beat the prices out in BC.
Assuming you have a relative that could run around for you and not charge you for your time.