Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21267 posts
2088 upvotes

Light Modifiers

Where do most of you pick up your light stands and modifiers? It looks like I'll be shooting a few seniors (I figure Lifetouch can't be worse than me), and lighting is going to be a problem. I will be using two strobes, no monolights for portability.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote:
Nov 24th, 2009 8:15 pm
Where do most of you pick up your light stands and modifiers? It looks like I'll be shooting a few seniors (I figure Lifetouch can't be worse than me), and lighting is going to be a problem. I will be using two strobes, no monolights for portability.
B&H + CL FTW!

going with umbrellas or softbox? im assuming umbrellas if you are using speedlites

and you are correct sir lifetouch is easy to mimic so you cant be worse...

...unless you are using sony ;)
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1301 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote:
Nov 24th, 2009 8:15 pm
when in doubt, rent.

way cheaper than buying.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
My school does our own portraits. 4, 4 light studio setups.

Why?
Usually Lifetouch does school portraits for the school yearbook, ID cards etc.
When the photos came back one year, 1/2 the photo's were cutting people's faces to the side because someone knocked the camera on the tripod and no one knew.

It shows that LifeTouch just pays a guy to set things up and just push the shutter button.

So think again if you think LifeTouch can't be worse than you. ;)
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
:lol:
kay188 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2009 8:26 pm

Why?
When the photos came back one year, 1/2 the photo's were cutting people's faces to the side because someone knocked the camera on the tripod and no one knew.

It shows that LifeTouch just pays a guy to set things up and just push the shutter button.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21267 posts
2088 upvotes
kay188 wrote:

Why?

The guys at our school are a little more competent. :lol: One studio complete with a background, mass-student computer system, D2X, and an array of lights. I saw them use a gel'ed background light to change the colour of it, an overhead mini soft-box as a backlight, and I think a large softbox key at the side of the subject, plus an overhead umbrella for fill. A typical 4 point system producing sub-par results. Not that I can do better. ;) $30 for a 10min sitting, no prints included.

Since I will be using speedlights I will be using an umbrella. I would like to use a softbox, but the speedlights probably will not be powerful enough. I currently have zero lighting equipment since people are not my usual subject.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12039 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
kay188 wrote:
Why?

That sucks!
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
kay188 wrote:
usually lifetouch does school portraits for the school yearbook, id cards etc.

It shows that lifetouch just pays a guy to set things up and just push the shutter button.
lulz were had
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21267 posts
2088 upvotes
My hit list:

2x light stands
2x 46" umbrellas (1 shoot through, 1 reflection)
2x umbrella adapter/mount

Any suggestions on brands and models? I was looking over a few of the past threads here and there is nothing specific.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
Come to think of it, I want 1 umbrella setup too.

I'm looking at cheap light stands though.
Any suggestions on where to get like, a $20 light stand?

Umbrellas and mounts, I'll get off DealExtreme. :D
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote:
Nov 24th, 2009 10:22 pm
My hit list:

2x light stands
2x 46" umbrellas (1 shoot through, 1 reflection)
2x umbrella adapter/mount

Any suggestions on brands and models? I was looking over a few of the past threads here and there is nothing specific.
I got mine from BH. I would recommend reading reviews and then actually seeing the product before buying. The set I got I wasn't completely happy with but it does the job that I ask it to do.

This is the one I got:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... Stand.html

Careful with the descriptions. It says air cushioned but it feels so cheap and isnt as fluid as my other set of stands. The umbrella adapters feel/look like the ones you can get from DX and also don't give the shoe mount for the flash. I had to resort to those canon plastic legs. The stand also doesn't go as high as I would have liked. I should have really measured out how high it really was. If you are only using speedlites the stands will hold up, however anything larger and you'll have to add additional weight to the bottom.

For the price you can't go wrong though. You basically have everything you need except for a shoot through which can be had for cheap. Too bad you missed out on that Thornhill camera sale. A lot of light modifiers and stands were for sale.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21267 posts
2088 upvotes
How much would you pay for an SB28?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote:
Nov 24th, 2009 10:58 pm
How much would you pay for an SB28?
im looking for the same thing...

i think i would pay max 100 for it but prob would try for 70-80
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21267 posts
2088 upvotes
ryan_lau100 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2009 10:39 pm
I got mine from BH. I would recommend reading reviews and then actually seeing the product before buying. The set I got I wasn't completely happy with but it does the job that I ask it to do.

This is the one I got:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... Stand.html

Careful with the descriptions. It says air cushioned but it feels so cheap and isnt as fluid as my other set of stands. The umbrella adapters feel/look like the ones you can get from DX and also don't give the shoe mount for the flash. I had to resort to those canon plastic legs. The stand also doesn't go as high as I would have liked. I should have really measured out how high it really was. If you are only using speedlites the stands will hold up, however anything larger and you'll have to add additional weight to the bottom.

For the price you can't go wrong though. You basically have everything you need except for a shoot through which can be had for cheap. Too bad you missed out on that Thornhill camera sale. A lot of light modifiers and stands were for sale.
Too bad no one up here carries something like that. Its quite reasonable too. I may end up picking up the individual parts as its cheaper after including BH's shipping, duties, brokerage, etc. More work!
ryan_lau100 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2009 11:02 pm

Sounds good, they sell quick when one goes up. Ill race you to the flash. ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
ryan_lau100 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2009 11:02 pm

Good luck, SB-28s go for about $110 used in the US, and they are usually not in mint condition (ie., scratches and/or velcro on it). Even SB-24s go for $75+.