• Dec 11th, 2014 1:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 4, 2007
739 posts
74 upvotes

Lightroom 5 upgrade

Any deals or coupons? I figured it's time to upgrade but obviously don't want to pay the full price if I can help it. Adobe has the download version for $79. B&H and Adorama have the boxed version for $77. I can have it shipped to a US address and brought to me at no extra cost but I don't think it's worth the wait. Any other options? Thanks.
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1319 posts
284 upvotes
Ottawa, On
mfrania wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 11:06 am
Any deals or coupons? I figured it's time to upgrade but obviously don't want to pay the full price if I can help it. Adobe has the download version for $79. B&H and Adorama have the boxed version for $77. I can have it shipped to a US address and brought to me at no extra cost but I don't think it's worth the wait. Any other options? Thanks.
If you've lived with Lightroom 4 for this long I'd wait for Lightroom 6. 5 wasn't a huge upgrade over 4, and plus it's been out long enough that 6 can't be too far away.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1319 posts
284 upvotes
Ottawa, On
AzureD wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 1:02 pm
I thought 5 was a huge upgrade just for the smart develop feature alone
I believe you mean smart previews? And ya it's a good feature, but it really depends on your workflow. I personally never use it.

3->4 was a huge upgrade, but 4->5 was incremental.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1667 posts
207 upvotes
oops yes smart preview.
I like it because I can have my entire library in my laptop and have the actual RAW file on Esata enclosure. Makes storage management and backing up so much easier for me.

I also have older i3 laptop and find working the smart preview file speeds up the process so much more vs working with 24mp full res raw
[OP]
Jun 4, 2007
739 posts
74 upvotes
da_guy2 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 1:00 pm
If you've lived with Lightroom 4 for this long I'd wait for Lightroom 6. 5 wasn't a huge upgrade over 4, and plus it's been out long enough that 6 can't be too far away.
I'm worried they'll make it CC only, and I'm not a big fan of "renting" software.