Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Lightspeed]B.C. & A.B. Internet 120/10-$59.95, 30/5 $39.95 unlimited, no contract

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2018 5:42 pm
Jun 3, 2013
160 posts
119 upvotes
Can anyone else weigh in on their experience with Lightspeed ADSL service in the Vancouver area? On the fence...
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1360 posts
761 upvotes
Wow $70 a month for internet is considered a hot deal now? Inflation sure is crazy.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1165 posts
1303 upvotes
Nanaimo
Interested in the CanCom referral program. What are they offering? Any way to share? Winking Face
Mar 31, 2015
183 posts
119 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Seems like they updated their prices. 30/5Mbps is now $39.99 including the network access fee + Tax
Mar 31, 2015
183 posts
119 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
minimalist wrote: Been on Lightspeed Cable 5 with no issues for about a year now. They are reselling Shaw cable internet. Paying 19.95+ 4.95 Network access fee. Was paying about $41 before on Teksavvy DSL 6 incl. dry loop fee.
It looks like the Cable 5 plan is now $23.95 Including network access fee + Tax. Maybe you should call in and save that extra $1 a month.
Jan 21, 2017
168 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver Island
yermomsmom wrote: OR for the same price get Cancom 150/15 cable internet, unlimited, no access fee. Works off of the Shaw network just like Lightspeed.

https://www.can-com.com/Internet/High-Speed-Internet
MacRay wrote:
Looks interesting. Though you need to sign a 2 year contract via "Titanium" membership.
yermomsmom wrote:
There's benefits to it. First is the reduced rate. Also a modem is included in the price, they let you move every 2 years without charge and they give you a loyalty discount which grows every year.
Website is sparse on info about contract term and "Titanium" benefits. What is the penalty for leaving short of the two year term? Am I just missing their page on site about it or do I have to call them to get info as it appears.
Jun 11, 2015
499 posts
530 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have the 100/20mbps bonded ADSL in the Vancouver area. I get between 120/40 and 65/20 depending on the time of day. I use around 2tb/month.

I'm not a fan, but my complaints aren't enough for me to switch. (I will certainly switch when I can get gigabit fiber.) It goes down every two months for about 10 hours. The modem was expensive and doesn't work properly as a router. You can't pay online easily or monitor your account online. The customer support isn't great. The installation fee was too high. It was also a pain in the ass to schedule. (The last issue is potentially Telus's issue.)

TLDR: If you want a fast plan and don't need more than 1TB/mo go directly to Shaw or Telus because they are cheaper and you get better customer service.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Shaw is not an option for anyone who uses their internet connection for watching Netflix, YouTube, or if you play games and download them to your Xbox/PS4. A family of four can easily go over the 1 TB data cap on Shaw's highest plan very easily. You would run into that dumb data cap in like a single week if you watch any 4K video. And then you would be stuck paying overage charges for 2 years. A 1 TB data cap is very little for any real internet use, let alone the 300 GB / 150 GB data various on Shaw's other plans. Shaw's strategy is to lock dumb subscribers into a contract because most people don't bother to check how much data they actually send and receive each month.

For Lightspeed, does anyone have a review of them for Calgary? How is the uptime compared to Calgary? Is there really no downtime when switching over to Lightspeed?
Aug 17, 2016
11 posts
2 upvotes
FrugalStrudel wrote: Website is sparse on info about contract term and "Titanium" benefits. What is the penalty for leaving short of the two year term? Am I just missing their page on site about it or do I have to call them to get info as it appears.
The cost for breaking the contract is listed under their ToS: 6b. The 24-month Service Agreement (Titanium Option) is available to subscribers of personal Shaw Cable based High Speed Internet services and does not apply to phone services. Under the 24-month Service Agreement, customers receive the Platinum Membership at no cost, in exchange for a 24-month commitment to subscribe to Can Com Internet services. Early termination fees apply and will be calculated based on $20/remaining month, plus applicable taxes. Service Agreements are only available in British Columbia and Alberta.
Redeem a 1000 SCENE points for a Large Popcorn and Pop at Cineplex (while, preferably, going on Tuesday's): Better Value.
Jan 21, 2017
168 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Doomsday999 wrote: The cost for breaking the contract is listed under their ToS: 6b. The 24-month Service Agreement (Titanium Option) is available to subscribers of personal Shaw Cable based High Speed Internet services and does not apply to phone services. Under the 24-month Service Agreement, customers receive the Platinum Membership at no cost, in exchange for a 24-month commitment to subscribe to Can Com Internet services. Early termination fees apply and will be calculated based on $20/remaining month, plus applicable taxes. Service Agreements are only available in British Columbia and Alberta.
Thank you for the response. Lost old account in recent reset here and my new account is not allowed to thumbs / down yet so old school text thx :)
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
3970 posts
3749 upvotes
GVRD
I used to be a Lightspeed cable customer, I would suggest anyone looking into this should have a trial first and trace route traffics and compare it to other ISP like Shaw or Telus. (PM me, I am willing to help anyone to trace route web sites as I have CIK at home and 1G Telus connection at work)

Because they seem to lease IPs and transit partners from local internet exchanges like Skyway and AEBC, I remembered pretty much all my US traffic are routed through Seattle Internet Exchange rather than peering on Tier One pipes like AT&T, Level 3 etc, which will give faster ping time and shorter routes.

Although speed tests shows I got the speed I paid for, but the ping time and routes are too long.
Apr 27, 2015
59 posts
5 upvotes
Chilliwack, BC
Been with lightspeed for a year and a half. My DSL speeds are always what is advertised even during peak hours, haven't had any down time. I have random DNS problems but if I go back to the website 5 min later everything works fine, it is also very random and not predictable. I'm not sure what my ping should be but it is 9ms to Burnaby I should try to ping a different server. Other than the Webpage problem i'm happy with the service. My parents have Shaw 50mbp They do have lots of problems with their cable speed going down to 5mbp that is why I stay away from cable.

If there is cheaper cost or better service for the same price i'm always open to switch, I don't want cable though.
May 12, 2015
30 posts
14 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I have had lightspeed 25/3 in Victoria for 3 years in March. I paid for unlimited access and have not had any issues since the first few months where Telus screwed stuff up (label on the main box down the street from me was missing so they disconnected).
I get consistent speeds...no issues. Would recommend. Also they have the best tech support I have encountered in the industry.
May 6, 2006
246 posts
146 upvotes
Victoria
This looks like a great deal. Is it both ADSL and cable?

I'm currently with Juce in Victoria. $40/mo for 25/2.5 but my usual speed tests are 30/3
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic
Apr 27, 2015
59 posts
5 upvotes
Chilliwack, BC
Looks like adsl is 25/3 (I usually get 6 to 7 upload) for $45 and cable is 30/5 for $40.

It also says on their website that ADSL is a guaranteed speed even at peek hours where Cable they won't give you that guarantee.
Mar 31, 2015
183 posts
119 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Scirocco20 wrote: Looks like adsl is 25/3 (I usually get 6 to 7 upload) for $45 and cable is 30/5 for $40.

It also says on their website that ADSL is a guaranteed speed even at peek hours where Cable they won't give you that guarantee.
I've been on their 30/5 plan for 2 years now. I usually get 30-35/5. Slowest I've seen was 24/5. I've upgraded to their 120/10 plan today. Will update once it gets setup.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
i used their cable 30 service for a year with no issues but couldn't help switch for the $60 1 year 150 shaw deal though so if anyone needs the lightspeed modem let me know.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
MacRay wrote: It looks like the Cable 5 plan is now $23.95 Including network access fee + Tax. Maybe you should call in and save that extra $1 a month.
I called Lightspeed about reducing my monthly fee by about $1 to match what they have on their website. I was told that I cannot get that price because it's only for new customers. Said something about "circuits" that I didn't understand. Also said I could get the website price if I change my speed. So $10 fee to increase speed + $10 extra for 1 month at higher speed + $10 to reduce speed back = $30 extra to save $1/month.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1100 posts
236 upvotes
been with them for 1 year. No issues. I use their 30 Mbps plan, the 120 plan looks tempting.
Fido client
Tangerine client.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
minimalist wrote: I called Lightspeed about reducing my monthly fee by about $1 to match what they have on their website. I was told that I cannot get that price because it's only for new customers. Said something about "circuits" that I didn't understand. Also said I could get the website price if I change my speed. So $10 fee to increase speed + $10 extra for 1 month at higher speed + $10 to reduce speed back = $30 extra to save $1/month.
That's pretty weak of them, it's not like you are asking to match something like $10 off your current plan...to give you some BS excuses for $1 off, that's not good customer service.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)