• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 1:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
371 posts
106 upvotes

Like Breyer's ice cream? Think again

Nasty, nasty, nasty. Wish I found out about this much sooner.

Apparently it has nitrogen in it.

38 replies
May 21, 2015
438 posts
171 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Waste of time watching,, If he'd just read the label on the Breyers he'd see that it is NOT Ice Cream it is Frozen Dessert. No where on the label does it say "Ice Cream". It's like comparing apples to oranges.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1483 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 11:58 pm
Nasty, nasty, nasty. Wish I found out about this much sooner.

Apparently it has nitrogen in it.
Did you know that air is 78% nitrogen?

OHH MY GAAWWWD, DISGASSSTING.

You better stop breathing right now buddy, you wouldn't want to inhale that DISGASSSTIING air.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2287 posts
468 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah. It's identified quite clearly on the label that it's a "frozen dessert".

I wouldn't eat it either.
Jul 5, 2013
273 posts
346 upvotes
Saint John
My breyer's does melt. Don't let the videos fool you. They look nasty because Breyer's uses many many ingredients to thicken their frozen dessert, such as carob beans, guar, glycerides and carrageenan. They are all food grade.
May 28, 2012
9317 posts
1719 upvotes
Saskatoon
I haven't bought that blue label Breyer's for years...heck, I don't even buy their premium line anymore. I don't know why companies have to mess with their product just to make it more profitable for themselves...we've switched to a different brand altogether. Similar to Becel margarine...I bought it for 20+ years and now they've changed the formula and it tastes and smells like garbage. My family are overjoyed that I've switch to using butter exclusively (was previously used mainly for baking).
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1228 posts
96 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 10:36 am
I don't know why companies have to mess with their product just to make it more profitable for themselves...
I think you may have the answer to your question within your question. It's not good enough for any company to be profitable anymore, companies have a responsibility to their shareholders to always be driving up shareholder value and if you can't sell more ice cream, you'll have to cheapen your ingredients year-over-year until you're no longer selling ice cream but are selling frozen garbage.

It's a real race to the bottom and a shame that our children won't know what real food tastes like, only lowest common denominator "food-like" substances.

btw - here are some Bryer's commercials from when I was a kid where they deride competing ice cream brands for including gums in their recipes. How the worm has turned!

Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1390 posts
468 upvotes
hey if you and a bunch of people stop eating it, then the price will drop, better for me haha I eat ice cream once a month when I am craving it. I didn't know the price for ice cream was so high, it's like $6 for a tub of Oreo ice cream
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6807 posts
1370 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:18 am
hey if you and a bunch of people stop eating it, then the price will drop, better for me haha I eat ice cream once a month when I am craving it. I didn't know the price for ice cream was so high, it's like $6 for a tub of Oreo ice cream
if people stop eating frozen dairy dessert the price will drop on ice cream? btw, what brand is this oreo "ice cream" you speak of?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Jun 6, 2016
59 posts
26 upvotes
I'm not too much of an ice cream guy -- I'll maybe two or three of those smaller-sized Haagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry per year tops. However, earlier this year, I bought two of those Nestle "frozen desserts", one Rolo and one Smarties, at a buck each, so what do I have to lose? Not only it did not taste like ice cream at all (it's not ice cream in the first place), but I was surprised of how much little would remain if I would take a full scoop and let it melt in the mouth -- nothing but fluff & air in those pints.

That's low-quality "ice cream" for you, I guess.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1390 posts
468 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:52 am
if people stop eating frozen dairy dessert the price will drop on ice cream? btw, what brand is this oreo "ice cream" you speak of?
it's the only Oreo one I know of, I think its nestle ...nope just checked I think it's christie, actually I can't even read it but

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/oreo/6000001839374

I like the chocolate one though

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/nestl-oreo ... hrelevance
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6807 posts
1370 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 1:08 pm
it's the only Oreo one I know of, I think its nestle ...nope just checked I think it's christie, actually I can't even read it but

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/oreo/6000001839374

I like the chocolate one though

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/nestl-oreo ... hrelevance
those are frozen dairy desserts. where's the oreo ice cream?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10709 posts
1437 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Didn't watch the videos, but unopened bags of chips have nitrogen in them 'cuz oxygen causes oxidation.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1390 posts
468 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 1:11 pm
oh good these will drop in price then haha
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2287 posts
468 upvotes
Mississauga
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 1:11 pm
Chapman's makes a cookies-and-cream REAL ice cream. It's pretty darn good.