Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6944 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 1:53 pm
Chapman's makes a cookies-and-cream REAL ice cream. It's pretty darn good.
but i've already got my heart set on the oreo flavour ice cream that toronto19850 teased us with. alas, 'twas only a figment of his imagination. for shame.
i guess i'll have to resort to crumbling my own oreos onto some haagen dazs.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3421 posts
1352 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Fanboy wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 10:55 am
I think you may have the answer to your question within your question. It's not good enough for any company to be profitable anymore, companies have a responsibility to their shareholders to always be driving up shareholder value and if you can't sell more ice cream, you'll have to cheapen your ingredients year-over-year until you're no longer selling ice cream but are selling frozen garbage.

It's a real race to the bottom and a shame that our children won't know what real food tastes like, only lowest common denominator "food-like" substances.

btw - here are some Bryer's commercials from when I was a kid where they deride competing ice cream brands for including gums in their recipes. How the worm has turned!

Yes, I remember when their ads all centered around the fact that they only had real/natural ingredients. Sad how quickly that changed.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2495 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga
There's Breyer's All-Natural which I believe is still real ice cream.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
483 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:12 pm
but i've already got my heart set on the oreo flavour ice cream that toronto19850 teased us with. alas, 'twas only a figment of his imagination. for shame.
i guess i'll have to resort to crumbling my own oreos onto some haagen dazs.
http://www.breyers.com/product/detail/1 ... kies-cream

is that ice cream? ingredients say milk, cream in them...I actually didn't even know there was a difference. I just eat stuff that tastes good Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4519 posts
244 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 1:53 pm
Chapman's makes a cookies-and-cream REAL ice cream. It's pretty darn good.
+1. I love most Chapman's products. They make real ice cream and the flavours are so good/rich IMO. I seriously stocked up when several items were on for $1.50 during those Canada 150 sales. I still eat 'frozen dessert' occasionally but much prefer the taste and texture of true ice cream.
Last edited by amz155 on Jul 14th, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36654 posts
2530 upvotes
Toronto
That is kinda sad...

You know those hipster ice cream places? Most of them make their own ice cream... IT does taste really good.... Now I know why I don't like ice cream. ITs b/c the stuff from the grocery store is mostly artificial. There are some brands that are real ice cream.... But I think most consumers aren't THAT saavy. Many are saavy... But the regular joe just buys whatever is well marketed or on sale.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11196 posts
1537 upvotes
Toronto
Beneful1 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:37 am
Waste of time watching,, If he'd just read the label on the Breyers he'd see that it is NOT Ice Cream it is Frozen Dessert. No where on the label does it say "Ice Cream". It's like comparing apples to oranges.
...and yet he had the nerve to have a follow up video and STILL call it ice cream! Sad. What a joke. What a clown. (for lack of a better choice of words)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4083 posts
1118 upvotes
Switch to haagen dazs. Simple.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6944 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 1:08 pm
it's the only Oreo one I know of, I think its nestle ...nope just checked I think it's christie, actually I can't even read it but

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/oreo/6000001839374

I like the chocolate one though

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/nestl-oreo ... hrelevance
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 6:11 pm
http://www.breyers.com/product/detail/1 ... kies-cream

is that ice cream? ingredients say milk, cream in them...I actually didn't even know there was a difference. I just eat stuff that tastes good Face With Tears Of Joy
so you first post links for christie brand saying "it's the only Oreo one I know of". upon being informed it's not ice cream, after a bit of googling to find another brand, you then post a link to breyers oreo, which again is not ice cream.

hint: it's not ice cream if it doesn't say ice cream on the label or if it does say frozen dessert/ frozen dairy dessert.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
May 13, 2014
397 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Why is this a surprise? There's plenty of ersatz products out there - off the top of my head, Dove "Beauty Bars" aren't actually soap, for instance. Neither is "liquid hand wash". Ever buy a "bonded leather" sofa from Ikea? While bonded leather does technically contain leather, your skin will never come in contact with it because it's all on the underside - the surface which you sit on is just polyurethane.

On a more food and especially ice cream related note, synthetic vanillin isn't vanilla either. And for your own sake, don't look up what Tropicana "Not From Concentrate" juice really means.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1445 posts
431 upvotes
So long as it doesn't hurt you, and tastes good, but more importantly costs less (does it?) then what's the problem?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4519 posts
244 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 1:57 am
So long as it doesn't hurt you, and tastes good, but more importantly costs less (does it?) then what's the problem?
I think people are taking issue with the fact that the thread title is about ice cream. But the info provided is actually NOT about ice cream and about frozen dessert behaving like, well, frozen dessert.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
483 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 4:56 pm
so you first post links for christie brand saying "it's the only Oreo one I know of". upon being informed it's not ice cream, after a bit of googling to find another brand, you then post a link to breyers oreo, which again is not ice cream.

hint: it's not ice cream if it doesn't say ice cream on the label or if it does say frozen dessert/ frozen dairy dessert.
thanks for the info
I was never a picky eater so I just ate what was on the shelf that looked good and tasted good
good enough for me :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7313 posts
480 upvotes
This is why I make my own...

i sometimes buy ice cream or frozen dessert but at least I know what I am buying: quality or crap...