Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sinemia

Sinemia promo for 2 tickets from $9.99 mth, including premium showings (similar to MoviePass)

Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2842 posts
3454 upvotes
Toronto
KravenHead wrote: Used the app yesterday for the first time at Cinema Guzzo (Montreal area, cinema is listed on their site and app), movie selected..checked out etc...
The clerk and the manager both had no idea what Sinemia was nor was it accepted.
Anyone else w/ a similar experience?
I think you might be a bit confused of how Sinemia works.

Step 1: You use the Sinemia app (select Planning option) to select what movie you want to watch and Sinemia will ok the purchase and give temporary credit card information to buy a ticket with. Or if you have a physical card, they will unlock the card to allow you to buy a ticket. You can only use the Watch option if you have a physical card.

Step 2: Use that credit card information to purchase the ticket from the website of the theatre itself, in your case it's Cinema Guzzo. The movie theatre does not need to know about Sinemia as the 2 things are seperate. If Cinema Guzzo does not have a website, then you can't use the Planning option to buy a ticket. If have a physical card, you can use the Watch option to buy a ticket in person.
Sep 28, 2010
70 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
I noticed there was a new update to the Android app. Did that fix the extra fees for previous customers or is that wishful thinking?
Last edited by ducxnguyen on Sep 28th, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
silverele wrote: I think you might be a bit confused of how Sinemia works.

Step 1: You use the Sinemia app (select Planning option) to select what movie you want to watch and Sinemia will ok the purchase and give temporary credit card information to buy a ticket with. Or if you have a physical card, they will unlock the card to allow you to buy a ticket. You can only use the Watch option if you have a physical card.

Step 2: Use that credit card information to purchase the ticket from the website of the theatre itself, in your case it's Cinema Guzzo. The movie theatre does not need to know about Sinemia as the 2 things are seperate. If Cinema Guzzo does not have a website, then you can't use the Planning option to buy a ticket. If have a physical card, you can use the Watch option to buy a ticket in person.
Thanks for the reply. Guzzo Cinemas do not sell tickets online. Without a physical card, which I read somewhere are no longer shipped, Guzzo would be incompatible.
Aug 23, 2015
486 posts
386 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Newest version on IOS was still asking for a fee, so I spent way longer than I wanted going through the instructions on page 185.

Downgraded to version 3.2.11, and no fees were charged.

Thanks to all who posted with instructions on how to do this.
Mar 31, 2009
322 posts
249 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
FYI for all-

I received an email from a Sinemia customer service rep.. apparently this actually exists. Astonished Face

..asking if I had any issues with the service. Apparently finally replying on an email request I made to their customer service email address OVER 2 MONTHS AGO. :rolleyes:

So I let her have it with both barrels. I stated I was disappointed with their awful customer service, I explicitly told her I made that inquiry 2 months ago, and that I had no intention of renewing my subscription now that they were charging a transaction fee for advance tickets because I feel that's a blatant bait&switch tactic that violates the subscription I agreed to..

And I may as well have been talking to a wall. She 'apologized for the poor experience you've had so far' but 'kindly ask you to acknowledge we are improving our service every day'. And then restated the same boilerplate bullshit about the card-processor transaction fee for advance purchases, and 'we sincerely appreciate your time to provide honest comments and feedback'.

BULLSHIT. If the card processor fee is such a terrible cost to their operations, why does it only apply to *advance ticketing*? Because it was an easier cash grab and they know cancellations and the news would ruin them if they tried it on every transaction. Why the *F* would I acknowledge an improvement in customer service?? Because you replied to an email I sent TWO MONTHS AGO? Because you just jacked the cost of a subscription ~25% with fees?
Mar 13, 2018
381 posts
467 upvotes
AmRando wrote: BULLSHIT. If the card processor fee is such a terrible cost to their operations, why does it only apply to *advance ticketing*? Because it was an easier cash grab and they know cancellations and the news would ruin them if they tried it on every transaction.
Mhm. Like saying that the theatre charges you extra for a movie ticket in advance? Lol. Lies. They need those seats to be filled asap! X.x
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2842 posts
3454 upvotes
Toronto
AmRando wrote: FYI for all-

I received an email from a Sinemia customer service rep.. apparently this actually exists. Astonished Face

..asking if I had any issues with the service. Apparently finally replying on an email request I made to their customer service email address OVER 2 MONTHS AGO. :rolleyes:
Yeah I had the same experience with email customer "service (?)". Remember when you couldn't cancel because the website didn't except Canadian area codes like 416 as a real area code? The website had an input box that only recognised area codes starting with 5. Anyway, I emailed them and I waited about a week to hear back. Then I learned about the faster Twitter support and messaged them there. The website was eventually fixed. About 2 months later, I received an email reply to my original request that pretty much told me they didn't understand my question and that I could cancel on the website if I wanted to. =/
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1192 posts
936 upvotes
Victoria, BC
AmRando wrote: FYI for all-

And I may as well have been talking to a wall. She 'apologized for the poor experience you've had so far' but 'kindly ask you to acknowledge we are improving our service every day'. And then restated the same boilerplate bullshit about the card-processor transaction fee for advance purchases, and 'we sincerely appreciate your time to provide honest comments and feedback'.
The line I bolded, I read that exact same line someone on Reddit posted from their Sinemia email response to them, with the same incredulous reaction we would have here. (Unless it was you who posted that on the Sinemia Reddit forum?)

I'm sure it's a form letter that just gets copy + pasted into email support responses. I'm guessing that something maybe got lost in translation from Turkish to English...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7479 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
If I am on ios and has not install sinemia app yet, and I want to install an old version of the app that does not charge the 1.99 processing fee, would the process easier or do I need to do the same thing and follow what people posted for downgrading the ios app to an older version?
Aug 23, 2015
486 posts
386 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
rivet wrote: If I am on ios and has not install sinemia app yet, and I want to install an old version of the app that does not charge the 1.99 processing fee, would the process easier or do I need to do the same thing and follow what people posted for downgrading the ios app to an older version?
I'm sure you have to go through that process to get an older version of the app. Downloading conventionally would just get you the money stealing version. I advise, if you have, using a non-mac machine that doesn't or hasn't had iTunes already installed. At that point, its fairly easy, just have to download both programs and follow the instructions carefully.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
rivet wrote: If I am on ios and has not install sinemia app yet, and I want to install an old version of the app that does not charge the 1.99 processing fee, would the process easier or do I need to do the same thing and follow what people posted for downgrading the ios app to an older version?
You will still need to download the older version using the instructions provided a few pages back. Good news is once you download it, you can reinstall whenever needed.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Jan 17, 2011
302 posts
111 upvotes
Moncton
Downloaded the older app for IOS and it worked like a charm.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
3970 posts
3750 upvotes
GVRD
On iOS 3.3.5, I am still getting the $1.99 fee, guess what.. I then sideloaded 3.2.17 on my personal Android phone and I bought a couple tix without the charge.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7479 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
I am following the youtube steps, and at the downloading part, where I saw in Fiddler show Tunnel to "P30-buy.itunes.apple.com'. However, when I click it and choose "Textview", it shows nothing in the text view tab,
only info in header tab. I tried twice, still the same problem. Can any one on iOS did this downgrading process give some opinions on what I could be done wrong. This feels like such an hassle.
HDawg wrote: Ok RFDers, for those on IOS, running a Windows PC and stuck on anything post-3.2.xx, and have no idea how to downgrade, this is what I did.

Downloaded Fiddler and an older version of iTunes. The posts on pages 181 and 182 of this thread are correct in terms of directions and build #'s but short version:

1) Watch the YouTube video on page 182 of this thread.

The direct link to the video is here.

2) Build you want is 827784009 as stated here.

3) You'll want to run version 12.6.5.3 (or earlier) of iTunes with the app store. I used 12.6.5.3

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

4) Get Fiddler: https://www.telerik.com/download/fiddler

Fiddler is a bit of a PITA to use, but I'd suggest watching the YouTube video BEFORE doing any of this and reading through this link (from page 181).

I highly recommend you take care of the certificate exports and installs prior. Configure the decrypt HTTPS traffic option also.

Close Fiddler completely.

Now, these next few parts is what I did, which may or may not be correct mind you, but it worked for me.

a) Don't start Fiddler yet. Start iTunes first. Make sure you noted 827784009 before starting, and if needed, open any instructions prior. Fiddler caused some issues with traffic for me such as opening web pages and actually trying to download Sinemia (likely due to how it inspects traffic). I am sure this is easy to fix, but I didn't research. Basically, just stick 827784009 in notepad before starting.

b) In iTunes, look for Sinemia. Don't download yet. Just get to the app home page.

c) Start Fiddler.

There are some steps in the setup that need to be done in regards to Fiddler. When Fiddler is running, go to Rules -> Automatic Breakpoints and select Before Requests.

Start Sinemia download. It won’t complete as you have to keep clicking on run to completion in Fiddler. The YouTube video does explain the steps you need to allow traffic to run to completion and such. I can't stress how important these steps are. I am sure I am butchering the terminology here but as packets are sent and received, traffic gets stopped. You’ll see this in Fiddler. Eventually, you'll get to the point where Fiddler finds the install file iTunes is trying to download. Just replace it (the new build number) with 827784009 and let it run to completion.

All the instructions are in the links and video so sorry, I didn't do my own screenshots. Just read the instructions and watch the video BEFORE doing anything. I was lazy and tried to do it while following instructions and it took way longer than it should have. Trying to save you all time.

Can also confirm, 3.2.11 doesn't have any transaction/convenience fees. Got a couple Predator tickets in IMAX and a couple Clock in the Wall tickets for the kids on the weekend.
Jan 22, 2009
216 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
I just tried to downgrade to the to version 3.2.11 however i guess they patched it since now when i try to book an advance ticket it gives me an error saying i need to update the app to continue.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1148 posts
893 upvotes
Grey County, ON
lesterc wrote: I just tried to downgrade to the to version 3.2.11 however i guess they patched it since now when i try to book an advance ticket it gives me an error saying i need to update the app to continue.
Are you on Android or iOS? Can anyone else confirm the same error message with a previous version of the Sinemia app?
Jan 22, 2009
216 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
GabbyWC wrote: Are you on Android or iOS? Can anyone else confirm the same error message with a previous version of the Sinemia app?
i'm on iOS
Banned
Sep 17, 2018
33 posts
10 upvotes
GabbyWC wrote: Are you on Android or iOS? Can anyone else confirm the same error message with a previous version of the Sinemia app?
Yes

Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2842 posts
3454 upvotes
Toronto
xplane wrote: Yes

Well that sucks. Is your image from iOS? What app version?

I wonder if there is a way to trick the app into thinking you have updated.
Banned
Sep 17, 2018
33 posts
10 upvotes
silverele wrote: Well that sucks. Is your image from iOS? What app version?

I wonder if there is a way to trick the app into thinking you have updated.
Android, whatever apk was posted earlier.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)