None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga

Line In Splitter ?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0000DIESU

I just purchased one of these adapters to use to split the Line In from my PC's sound card.

One problem, Whenever I connect the second device to the the other line, Volume drastically lowers. Currently I'm using my PS3 and Raspberry Pi, turning the Pi off doesn't seem to have much of an effect, but turning the PS3 causes a significant drop.

While the audio mixes quite well, having both on does lower the overall volume when compared to having just one device connected.

Any remedies?

I originally had the Pi connected the male end, and the PS3 and PC Line IN connected to the two female ends. Which caused the the Pi to go near silent when the PS3 turned off.

Using it the the way it was most likely designed did increase the volume.

Any way, I can amplify this adapter?
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
What you have done is an absolute no-no. Disconnect it immediately before you damage your equipment.

Explanation: you never connect two audio outputs to one audio input, because both of the outputs are low impedance compared to the high-impedance input. That means that one output stage can drive the other one backwards (i.e., apply a reverse voltage across the transistors). Transistors do not like being driven backwards. They burn out very quickly.

One output to two inputs is ok, because both inputs are high-impedance. That's what the Y-connectors are meant for.

What you want is a switch, so that only one source is connected at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
JamesA1 wrote: What you have done is an absolute no-no. Disconnect it immediately before you damage your equipment.

Explanation: you never connect two audio outputs to one audio input, because both of the outputs are low impedance compared to the high-impedance input. That means that one output stage can drive the other one backwards (i.e., apply a reverse voltage across the transistors). Transistors do not like being driven backwards. They burn out very quickly.

One output to two inputs is ok, because both inputs are high-impedance. That's what the Y-connectors are meant for.

What you want is a switch, so that only one source is connected at a time.
What would happen if I put a diode before each of the audio outputs? Wouldn't that remove risk of driving one output backwards.

EDIT: nvm found this:http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... f-speakers
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Can't you configure your soundcard to use another unused sound output (rear speakers for example) as audio input? A lot of those cards allow multiple inputs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)