• Sep 11th, 2017 1:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

Link provided in E-Mail Notification goes "anywhere"

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but when I click on the link that is provided in the RFD email notification, I can end up anywhere in the thread.
Sometimes I end up on post one - most times I end up somewhere in the middle of the thread, like page 40 in a thread that has 60 or so pages.
I never seem to end up on the last page or the page the email notification reply applies to.

As an example - I just received an email notification of a new post in thread [carrytel] Carrytel internet 150 mbps for 49.99 (Ont)

The link in the email took me to page 21 (Date Aug 2, 2017), the last post is actually on page 54.

I received this in my email:

This thread is located at:

carrytel-carrytel-internet-150-mbps-49- ... #p28186404

That has been going on for a while now.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16972 posts
1858 upvotes
GTA West
I see this all the time. Also applies to notifications clicked in the forum control panel.
Occasionally, maybe 25% of the time, it jumps to the right post.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Seems to be fixed.

The link in the last six email notifications took me to the correct post
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Problem just came back - or maybe was never fixed and only happens under very specific circumstances.

One thing I noticed - normally, in the email notifcation, one receives the ext of the post.and then the link.

This time, where the text should have been I just get a bunch of asterics likso **********************

When I click on the link I end up on page 35 of the currenty 85 page thread.

And when I check the last post on page 85, it is a post from the RFDer indicated in my email notification.
So the software recognizes a new post, sends me the notification but somehow, maybe because the text in that post is not recognized or included in the email, includes the wrong link.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Just had another one!

It definitely seems to only happen if the text in the email notification for some reason ends up as ****************

When I go to the last post in the thread for the email notification, it's there with full text.
Don't know why the text doesn't show in the notification.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12855 upvotes
Scarborough
krs wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:11 pm
Problem just came back - or maybe was never fixed and only happens under very specific circumstances.

One thing I noticed - normally, in the email notifcation, one receives the ext of the post.and then the link.

This time, where the text should have been I just get a bunch of asterics likso **********************

When I click on the link I end up on page 35 of the currenty 85 page thread.

And when I check the last post on page 85, it is a post from the RFDer indicated in my email notification.
So the software recognizes a new post, sends me the notification but somehow, maybe because the text in that post is not recognized or included in the email, includes the wrong link.
We haven't worked on fixing it yet. It's an issue with the pagination. If you have it set to the default posts per page these links usually work. It's when you set it differently that things go wrong.

Forward me that email if you still have it and I'll look into the * issue. support@redflagdeals.com
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].