Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1446 posts
118 upvotes
Hamilton

Are Linux O.S moree safer than windows?

- Are Linux O.S more safer when it comes to privacy. I heard Intel and AMD chipset's has backdoor tool installed that may invade your privacy and now with windows 10.. no idea what is going in and out.

question:
- Can I installed windows 10 as a standalone O.S which will have no connectivity to Internet. Basically offline O.S. and I would like to run Linux O.S as main Operating system which will have access to Internet.

- Can this be possible?

- What Linux O.S can I install that has more support, more features and updated.
61 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9769 posts
1022 upvotes
-no

-yes

-yes

-ubuntu
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21649 posts
2405 upvotes
Best idea is to stock up on this stuff, for hats:
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2363 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
tester85 wrote:
May 29th, 2017 8:46 am
- Are Linux O.S more safer when it comes to privacy
Complicated question. But generally, Linux preserves privacy better in a number of ways. But your post suggests that you don't know much about this and that means you can easily blunder into loss of privacy with any OS.
. I heard Intel and AMD chipset's has backdoor tool installed that may invade your privacy and now with windows 10.. no idea what is going in and out.
I'm guessing that you are referring to the remote management features. Those are potentially useful but the implementations are apparently insecure. There is probably no risk if nothing bad is inside your LAN and your LAN is behind NAT.

question:
- Can I installed windows 10 as a standalone O.S which will have no connectivity to Internet. Basically offline O.S. and I would like to run Linux O.S as main Operating system which will have access to Internet.
Sure. But a computer with no access is not very useful these days. And doing updates would be hard work.

- Can this be possible?

- What Linux O.S can I install that has more support, more features and updated.
More features mean more risk: complexity is the enemy of security.
One OS that is focused on security is OpenBSD.
I use Fedora and CentOS Linux and they seem pretty good at security.

If you really care about security, you need to understand more clearly what threats concern you. Only then can you address them.

I think that the largest threat to privacy in our society is the disclosure of information through browsing and on-line transactions in general. The Android ecosystem is financed by this kind of thing so it is particularly bad. But Microsoft seems to want Windows to catch up. I have no idea about the Apple side of things but suspect that it is no better.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tester85 wrote:
May 29th, 2017 8:46 am
- Are Linux O.S more safer when it comes to privacy. I heard Intel and AMD chipset's has backdoor tool installed that may invade your privacy and now with windows 10.. no idea what is going in and out.
Virus wise, it is true that Linux has attracted a lot of less virus attack

question:

Yes. But being off line, it is almost useless nowadays.
- Can this be possible?
yes
Linuxmint and Ubuntu

Here is what I would suggest you to do:
1. Partition your harddrive with one exception of about 100 Gb for Window (NTFS format).
2. All the others will be in the native file format of Linux EXT4 (that includes the data partitions and Linux partition
3. Install Windows (first) / then LinuxMint/ then Ubuntu or other Linux favor you prefer
4. After finishing work on your Windows partition, leave the work in your windows partition
5. Boot to either LinuxMint or Ubuntu and copy the data file (say jpg, .doc, whatnots...) to the data partition. Whatever virus you have obtained this way in Windows, cannot be seen by Windows at all in the Linux partition. Linux nonetheless can see all in the Windows partition though. There is nothing the Window partition (even if infested) can do to the files in the EXT4 file system at all. If the Windows partition get screwed, just trash it and restore it with a 'clone' software.
6. Do not do on line banking transaction in the Window partition
See if the guru in this forum agree with this approach.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25379 posts
2744 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
What's the point of dual booting? If you're afraid of being attacked because you use Windows, then switching between Windows and Linux will not solve the problem because you're still using Windows.

The best defence is education. Linux still gets attacked, it's just a smaller target because the user base is smaller.

Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Gee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:13 pm
What's the point of dual booting? If you're afraid of being attacked because you use Windows, then switching between Windows and Linux will not solve the problem because you're still using Windows.
I beg to disagree.
The method that I detailed above, basically isolates the Window partition 100% with zero data theere. Any attack on it will not create any problem to the users (me included). I still use some software under Windows. And I use Linux for all major tasks as far as I can manage.
The only part that I agree: education helps and getting into a degree course definitely helps - in the long long run
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Dec 7, 2015
412 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:13 pm
What's the point of dual booting?
Some programs don't work in any version of Linux. Even with WINE, there are applications that are no go. That's the only reason my laptop is dual boot. I use Windows once every couple of months or so. If it wasn't for those programs, I'd only use Linux.
Dec 7, 2015
412 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
danieltoronto wrote:
May 29th, 2017 3:56 pm

3. Install Windows (first) / then LinuxMint/ then Ubuntu or other Linux favor you prefer
It sounds like you're suggesting installing both Mint and Ubuntu. Overkill. You only need one.

I'd recommend Xubuntu rather than Ubuntu. Personally, I think Unity sucks and I prefer the Xfce environment.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
willilumplump wrote:
May 29th, 2017 5:52 pm
It sounds like you're suggesting installing both Mint and Ubuntu. Overkill. You only need one.

I'd recommend Xubuntu rather than Ubuntu. Personally, I think Unity sucks and I prefer the Xfce environment.
Yes. That does not cost anything. Also the O P can try out different GUI .
You also have your own preference and that is the norm. 100Gb for a partition which is cheap now even for SSD
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
willilumplump wrote:
May 29th, 2017 5:49 pm
Some programs don't work in any version of Linux. Even with WINE, there are applications that are no go. That's the only reason my laptop is dual boot. I use Windows once every couple of months or so. If it wasn't for those programs, I'd only use Linux.
Ditto.
I need to boot back to Acrobat Prof for Windows only. Pdfsam in Linux is OK but not as sophisticated
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25379 posts
2744 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
danieltoronto wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:52 pm
I beg to disagree.
The method that I detailed above, basically isolates the Window partition 100% with zero data theere. Any attack on it will not create any problem to the users (me included). I still use some software under Windows. And I use Linux for all major tasks as far as I can manage.
The only part that I agree: education helps and getting into a degree course definitely helps - in the long long run
Who said anything about data? It is the annoyance of malware. Everyone should have proper backups for data.

Why do you want to let the internet run your life? Shouldn't you run your own life on the internet? By letting the internet push you into a position where you can't use your computer as you intended.

One computer, one operating system that suits all your needs. Worried about infections? Learn how they happen and avoid them
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Gee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 7:46 pm
Who said anything about data? It is the annoyance of malware. Everyone should have proper backups for data.
If there is no data stored in a malware prone OS, the presence of malware is not even relevant. If they are on the rampage, just erase the whole thing and restore the OS from a cloned image
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Banned
Mar 12, 2017
108 posts
47 upvotes
Calgary
willilumplump wrote:
May 29th, 2017 5:49 pm
This. Convenience/necessity is the most logical arguments for dual booting, not security.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25379 posts
2744 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
danieltoronto wrote:
May 29th, 2017 8:14 pm
If there is no data stored in a malware prone OS, the presence of malware is not even relevant. If they are on the rampage, just erase the whole thing and restore the OS from a cloned image
Read my reply again (you quoted it)

The key word there is annoyance.

Sure you can reformat every day, but it is an annoyance