Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4241 posts
670 upvotes
Markham

Liquid Shio Koji

Just discovered a new product I've never seen before.

Hanamaruki Liquid Shio Koji.

Bought it at T&T warden and Steeles for $5.49 for 500ml. Tastes like a soy'ish miso.

From the website:

"Koji” is a malted rice used in the fermentation process for miso, sake, soy sauce and other foods. Shio koji is a traditional Japanese condiment made from fermented rice koji and salt. It has only natural flavor and color, and contains no additives.

Functions and Effects
1. Removes typical strong smells of meat and makes it soft and tender.
The enzyme of the koji softens meat and brings out its flavor.
Cooking fish or meat with shio koji minimizes the typical strong smells of meat produced.
2. Brings out the flavor of foods
Adding just a little shio koji causes its amino acid to act on proteins, providing in a fully-flavored finish.
3. A natural seasoning.
Shio koji is made from fermented rice koji, salt and water, creating a simple and natural condiment. It has a natural flavor and natural color without any artificial additives, meaning it can be consumed without any concerns for your health.
4. A highly versatile liquid
Only Hanamaruki manufactures shio koji in liquid form, allowing it to easily be used just like soy sauce, mirin or sake.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9955 posts
507 upvotes
You can make your own by grabbing some Koji from the Ontario sake company in the distillery district.

I've made it before and it's very tasty stuff.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4241 posts
670 upvotes
Markham
slowtyper wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 12:02 am
You can make your own by grabbing some Koji from the Ontario sake company in the distillery district.

I've made it before and it's very tasty stuff.
Details please? How much does it cost to grab? Availability... Don't get down to that area often? Recipe?

This stuff I believe is the squeezed out liquid.

I never saw it before or used it, but for roughly$5 I was willing to buy and then explore it more. Based on web research, it is a relatively unknown product outside of Japan. My finger tasting says it's a new umami taste to me, will use it like soy or even salt. Supposed to be good marinator.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9955 posts
507 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 10:39 am
Details please? How much does it cost to grab? Availability... Don't get down to that area often? Recipe?

This stuff I believe is the squeezed out liquid.

I never saw it before or used it, but for roughly$5 I was willing to buy and then explore it more. Based on web research, it is a relatively unknown product outside of Japan. My finger tasting says it's a new umami taste to me, will use it like soy or even salt. Supposed to be good marinator.
I think it's called the Ontario sake company...Give them a call, I forgot price. Ask to buy Koji, which is rice innoculated with the bacteria that makes all the good stuff!

Basically I mixed it with salt and water and let it sit out for a couple weeks, stirring occasionally. Instead of a liquid I had a paste which I used to marinade or season. If interested in this stuff check out the book "preserving the Japanese way".
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2947 posts
843 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
There are a couple of good infomercials from the company on YouTube. As a liquid/convenience, it sounds like a new product even in Japan? It was winning new product awards in 2015 anyway

Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9955 posts
507 upvotes
The recipe I used is 300g rice Koji, 50g sea salt, 200g water
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel