[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6097 posts
664 upvotes
T dot 6

List of Canadian Travel Health Clinics

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/trav ... ic-eng.php

I was looking for a place to get Twinrix shot done and I came across this list. Might be useful to some people.

I called around and found a cheaper and closer place to my work then when I googled places.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
18 replies
Apr 19, 2009
11 posts
1 upvote
I found that different locations charge very different fees for appointments. I was charged $40 at a clinic on a university campus (open to the public, I was not a student), but other clinics in the city had a $75 fee. This is just the fee to see the doctor that I'm referring to, not the fees for the shots.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10154 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
My family doctor gave me my Vivaxim shot against Hep A and Typhoid Fever. He also gave me my Rx for Dukoral, which I took orally at home. Other than the cost of the drugs, which my benefits covered, there was no extra charge.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2733 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Jan 13th, 2010 3:26 pm
My family doctor gave me my Vivaxim shot against Hep A and Typhoid Fever. He also gave me my Rx for Dukoral, which I took orally at home. Other than the cost of the drugs, which my benefits covered, there was no extra charge.
which doctor was that? I'd love to try.
they usually change a prescription fees for travel vaccines.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10154 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
bsobaid wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:39 pm
which doctor was that? I'd love to try.
they usually change a prescription fees for travel vaccines.
Holy necro-thread, Batman!

My family doctor gave me the Rx. I can't see why your doctor would charge extra for a prescription. A drug is a drug. Depending on how knowledgeable your family doctor is in tropical medicine, they may not prescribe you anything though and refer you to a travel clinic, who usually charge a consultation fee. My doctor is well-travelled in the developing world, so I was good to go. Note that yellow fever vaccines must be done at a travel clinic though, as you also get a certificate to show to the immigration agents in your destination country as proof of vaccination.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1102 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Does anyone have any personal experience with malaria tablets? Should I go to my doctor or specifically go to a travel clinic (going to Africa in December).

I keep reading mixed things. I've never taken Malaria tablets before.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6829 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:34 pm
Holy necro-thread, Batman!

My family doctor gave me the Rx. I can't see why your doctor would charge extra for a prescription. A drug is a drug. Depending on how knowledgeable your family doctor is in tropical medicine, they may not prescribe you anything though and refer you to a travel clinic, who usually charge a consultation fee. My doctor is well-travelled in the developing world, so I was good to go. Note that yellow fever vaccines must be done at a travel clinic though, as you also get a certificate to show to the immigration agents in your destination country as proof of vaccination.
Most doctors charge for extra services that are not covered by OHIP.

For my family doctor we pay a yearly fee, which would cover this, plus other things the doctors are not covered by OHIP. Another example is note for being sick, for employer, most doctors charge for this.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7807 posts
913 upvotes
Markham
My family doctor recommend me to take that vaccination. It is not covered by OHIP, so I had to pay out of pocket. It was 7-8 years ago when I changed family doctor due to move of province.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10154 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
Arrgh wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:42 pm
Most doctors charge for extra services that are not covered by OHIP.

For my family doctor we pay a yearly fee, which would cover this, plus other things the doctors are not covered by OHIP. Another example is note for being sick, for employer, most doctors charge for this.
Your doctor charges you for writing prescriptions?!? Damn.
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:48 pm
Does anyone have any personal experience with malaria tablets? Should I go to my doctor or specifically go to a travel clinic (going to Africa in December).

If your regular doctor is willing to prescribe them, then go with that option as it'll be easier. I highly recommend taking Malarone over Lariam if you can afford it, or your company's health plan covers it (there is a generic form of Malarone now available which is cheaper). Lariam has some crazy side effects.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6829 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:47 pm
Your doctor charges you for writing prescriptions?!? Damn.
Not just my doctor, but many doctors -- for services not covered by OHIP, including sick notes or writing prescription for travel drugs. It's not for all prescriptions, but those services not covered by OHIP. Big difference.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10154 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
Mine doesn't charge for any of that stuff. I must have lucked out.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4656 posts
1579 upvotes
While the topic has been raised from the dead, I might as well throw this out there.

Anybody ever get the vaccination for Japanese Encephalitis? It apparently could be a concern for longer-term travel in rural areas of SE Asia (i.e. Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia). Requires at least two appointments over the period of a month and is very expensive. Wondering whether to bother.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3625 posts
1071 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:48 pm

Yes although if I'm not mistaken the type of tablet they recommend will depend on where you're going. We took Malarone for Africa, no problems at all (2 adults, 2 kids). We went to a travel clinic, our family doc doesn't do this sort of thing. That said, other than the consultation, the meds were all covered by my work healthcare plan.
Conquistador wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:59 pm
While the topic has been raised from the dead, I might as well throw this out there.

Anybody ever get the vaccination for Japanese Encephalitis? It apparently could be a concern for longer-term travel in rural areas of SE Asia (i.e. Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia). Requires at least two appointments over the period of a month and is very expensive. Wondering whether to bother.
I got that a long time ago for a 3 month international development trip in rural India. Skipped it (myself and the family) for a shorter trip which was more touristy travel in Thailand. I think it would depend on what you're doing. No issues with the vaccination though.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1102 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
wirebound wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:31 pm
Yes although if I'm not mistaken the type of tablet they recommend will depend on where you're going. We took Malarone for Africa, no problems at all (2 adults, 2 kids). We went to a travel clinic, our family doc doesn't do this sort of thing. That said, other than the consultation, the meds were all covered by my work healthcare plan.

I got that a long time ago for a 3 month international development trip in rural India. Skipped it (myself and the family) for a shorter trip which was more touristy travel in Thailand. I think it would depend on what you're doing. No issues with the vaccination though.
We are travelling to South Africa (Kruger is a malaria zone), Zimbabwe and Mauritius.