Credit Cards

List of credit cards friendly to people who don't qualify for Visa Infinite/MC World/MC World Elite; only good cards

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2023 2:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1477 posts
1139 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
jacnel wrote: I know I was joking around about how Loblaw owns a store called warehouse club, which is like Costco, so the PC Mastercard gives you the bonus points at that store (since they own it) and therefore there’s one card that gives you more return at a warehouse club.
jacnel wrote: Yeah there's a few around suburbia, also like Costco they only take mastercard.
Wholesale club*
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3175 posts
3129 upvotes
Toronto
Altera wrote: Wholesale club*
Whoops you're right, I always mix up the name thank you!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2249 posts
858 upvotes
Minden
The Amex Preferred SimplyCash card which gives 2% on all purchases after the initial bonus period seems as though it would be a good card for me. I have used the Cap. One World Elite Mastercard since its release and have a lot of points, but we don't tend to travel much so I am thinking of switching.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
kryton619 wrote: The Amex Preferred SimplyCash card which gives 2% on all purchases after the initial bonus period seems as though it would be a good card for me. I have used the Cap. One World Elite Mastercard since its release and have a lot of points, but we don't tend to travel much so I am thinking of switching.
Good choice.

I will keep this card as long as they don't worsen.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Poutinesauce wrote: Good choice.

I will keep this card as long as they don't worsen.
I'm considering keeping mine as well.

I'm thinking:
  1. AmEx-friendly resto: Cobalt
  2. PC grocers: Cobalt->PayPower->EbatesGiftCards->PC grocers gift card (repeat for Esso & Uber)
  3. Gas bar aside Mobil/Esso: Cobalt->PayPower
  4. non-refundable spend: Cobalt->PayPower
  5. Department store shopping where we might do returns: AmEx SCP...at least I'll keep the 2% on anything I don't return, and can jump on the supp card offers
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Oct 25, 2017
158 posts
107 upvotes
I need to sign up for cc to build up my credit for future needs.credit score is around 650ish. My income is between 15-20k not looking to pay annual fee. Also im not planning on using it consantanly only to pay couple bills( cell & internet) + i dont have a car yet

Whats the best cc to get ?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Wavy416 wrote: I need to sign up for cc to build up my credit for future needs.credit score is around 650ish. My income is between 15-20k not looking to pay annual fee. Also im not planning on using it consantanly only to pay couple bills( cell & internet) + i dont have a car yet

Did you read OP? Any cards you're thinking about?

Consider AmEx SimplyCash at 1.25% cashback on everything or Tangerine MC for 2% on 2-3 categories, can be pre-auth pay (cell and Internet bills).
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Poutinesauce wrote: If you have low credit than apply for either Canadian Tire Cash Advantage or PC MasterCard. Other lenders might turn you down due to low score.
@Poutinesauce I love how you're sold on the CTFS Cash Advantage card 🤣

@Wavy416 said income $15-20k, I'm gonna guess CC annual spend of $3-8k (unless being irresponsible and spending beyond one's means). That means if enough spend falls into the 2-3 categories, Tang may be a better option. Consider CTFS Cash Advantage has tiers, and with that little spend, they'll never reach the 1.5% earn tier.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: @Poutinesauce I love how you're sold on the CTFS Cash Advantage card 🤣

@Wavy416 said income $15-20k, I'm gonna guess CC annual spend of $3-8k (unless being irresponsible and spending beyond one's means). That means if enough spend falls into the 2-3 categories, Tang may be a better option. Consider CTFS Cash Advantage has tiers, and with that little spend, they'll never reach the 1.5% earn tier.
Well if someone has a few thousand dollars of bill to pay with the Canadian Tire card that they can't pay with a credit card, it's definitely a must.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
@Poutinesauce dunno how you feel about MBNA, but...

RE/MAX International Platinum Plus

Must be with source code DABL46 though. 2% G/G/Resto, no-AF, $5k/yr accelerator cap per category. Not a horrible way to park MBNA CL.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: @Poutinesauce dunno how you feel about MBNA, but...

RE/MAX International Platinum Plus

Must be with source code DABL46 though. 2% G/G/Resto, no-AF, $5k/yr accelerator cap per category. Not a horrible way to park MBNA CL.
Well I'm worried MBNA just hasn't yet gotten around to downgrading their myriad of brand affinity cards. I think it's really only a matter of time until this card receives the SmartCash treatment.

If we add it, people might apply for it and get an unpleasant surprise in a few months.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6264 upvotes
Wavy416 wrote: I need to sign up for cc to build up my credit for future needs.credit score is around 650ish. My income is between 15-20k not looking to pay annual fee. Also im not planning on using it consantanly only to pay couple bills( cell & internet) + i dont have a car yet

Rogers/Fido MC
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Poutinesauce wrote: Well I'm worried MBNA just hasn't yet gotten around to downgrading their myriad of brand affinity cards. I think it's really only a matter of time until this card receives the SmartCash treatment.

If we add it, people might apply for it and get an unpleasant surprise in a few months.
RFD effect...
Oct 28, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
Hi RFDers,

I don't know where to post, but I would like to have some advice about my current credit cards deck, as I would like to improve it.

Here is my current situation: single, live in Quebec, low income, no car (but take the bus), excellent credit score (~850), go mainly to IGA and Metro for groceries (near my home), often shop on Amazon, don't go often to restaurants, travel far away once a year (so a big spending ~ 1500-2000$).

I only have free credit cards. My 3 main cards are:

- RBC CashBack MC : 2% on groceries

- Tangerine Money Back MC (only 2 categories): 2% on recurring bills and 2% on transportation

- Amex Simplycash Card: 1.25% on everything else

In the drawer : Desjardins Remises (oldest card, never use it), HBC MC (was thinking about cancelling it, as I don't really use it)

Here are the improvements I was thinking about:

1/ As I don't have a high income, I can't apply to many cards. But I know AMEX cards don't require high income and I am really interested in the Cobalt card, as groceries are my main spending. I was thinking to buy gift cards to complete the minimum spending of 500$/month, because I will never reach 500$ of food as a single guy :). The main problem is that the Metro and Couche-Tard near my home only accept cash or debit cards if I want to purchase gift cards, which is ridiculous and frustrating... So unless I find a Metro that accept AMEX credit cards to buy gift cards, applying for Cobalt won't make sense. I was thinking about SPG or Gold cards, but I don't think I will get a good return on my spending. Only Amex Cobalt can be interesting based on my calculations.

2/ I've never had a third category for Tangerine, because I didn't want to have many banking accounts to deal with. I only have their credit card currently and make payment from my bank each month. I was really thinking about opening a saving account to get the third category, but I don't know if it is worth it (give me your opinion about that please)

3/ I was also thinking about a mastercard with no FX to complete my deck. Only 2 choices at the moment for people living in Quebec: Rogers Platinum MC or Brim MC. The problem is that I don't trust both companies. Rogers devaluates regularly their cards, so I don't want to apply for a card, which will only give me 0.5% cashback in 2 months. And Brim looks like a shaddy company. So I don't know what to do about that... Should I still apply to Rogers MC and cancel if a better card appears?

Any other thoughts about improving my current deck? Thank you in advance for your replies.
Sep 17, 2018
97 posts
131 upvotes
ON
Toto123456789 wrote:
1/ As I don't have a high income, I can't apply to many cards. But I know AMEX cards don't require high income and I am really interested in the Cobalt card, as groceries are my main spending. I was thinking to buy gift cards to complete the minimum spending of 500$/month, because I will never reach 500$ of food as a single guy :). The main problem is that the Metro and Couche-Tard near my home only accept cash or debit cards if I want to purchase gift cards, which is ridiculous and frustrating... So unless I find a Metro that accept AMEX credit cards to buy gift cards, applying for Cobalt won't make sense. I was thinking about SPG or Gold cards, but I don't think I will get a good return on my spending. Only Amex Cobalt can be interesting based on my calculations.

2/ I've never had a third category for Tangerine, because I didn't want to have many banking accounts to deal with. I only have their credit card currently and make payment from my bank each month. I was really thinking about opening a saving account to get the third category, but I don't know if it is worth it (give me your opinion about that please)

The third Tangerine category costs you nothing extra to put in the savings account, you are free to move that balance on to the card in-fact as the option you currently use does, but you'd get a free 2% category. Even crazier idea, leave those in the Savings account (or easily find an even better rate if you want more to do) for a year and earn an extra dollar than you normally would! Pretty inconsequential but it's really no less convenient than the other option (where you basically need to calculate your own payment - the varying auto-redemption amount)

3/ I was also thinking about a mastercard with no FX to complete my deck. Only 2 choices at the moment for people living in Quebec: Rogers Platinum MC or Brim MC. The problem is that I don't trust both companies. Rogers devaluates regularly their cards, so I don't want to apply for a card, which will only give me 0.5% cashback in 2 months. And Brim looks like a shaddy company. So I don't know what to do about that... Should I still apply to Rogers MC and cancel if a better card appears?

The Rogers card is your best no fee card available, so if your moral conviction / suspicion is worth avoiding the card, that is your choice. But you are unlikely to find a better one with net gain on foreign transactions. I'm unsure if the Mogo Prepaid is offered in QC (same with HT Visa, another favoured no-fx card that takes some time to receive), that would be incredibly easy to obtain and manage, but it might not be of much use to you otherwise.

Any other thoughts about improving my current deck? Thank you in advance for your replies.

I expect everything good is not offered to QC residents :( The Rogers cards are not bad imo: all-in-one great for CAD&FX w no annual fees, 1.25% with Mastercard acceptance opens you to a bit more I expect (shoutout the Amex acceptance thread tho, fav read :P !!)

And lastly in my experience the Rogers reps weren't hiding that once you're accepted for one of the lower cards, it's no hassle / credit check to see if you qualify for the World Elite version over the phone. Imagine you never read the requirements and just let the rep determine if you qualify over the phone, they are ultimately the most qualified to decide if you can handle those rewards. I was allowed to move up before ever receiving my first statement on my Fido card
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
Toto123456789 wrote: Hi RFDers,

I don't know where to post, but I would like to have some advice about my current credit cards deck, as I would like to improve it.

Here is my current situation: single, live in Quebec, low income, no car (but take the bus), excellent credit score (~850), go mainly to IGA and Metro for groceries (near my home), often shop on Amazon, don't go often to restaurants, travel far away once a year (so a big spending ~ 1500-2000$).

I only have free credit cards. My 3 main cards are:

- RBC CashBack MC : 2% on groceries

- Tangerine Money Back MC (only 2 categories): 2% on recurring bills and 2% on transportation

- Amex Simplycash Card: 1.25% on everything else

In the drawer : Desjardins Remises (oldest card, never use it), HBC MC (was thinking about cancelling it, as I don't really use it)

Here are the improvements I was thinking about:

Do they refuse to let you purchase gift cards with a CC, at Metro for instance, if you are buying quite a few groceries there, and happen to have a few gift cards in your basket, or if you go there only to buy gift cards? I think some places are fine with the former but none with the later. I know that when I tried to do the later at a Super C, I had to deal with an angry manager who told me to pay with debit or cash. I told her to go put them back on the shelf and walked away.
Oct 28, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks ovoovo for your reply. I guess you are right about Rogers MC (even I don't like Robbers :D), it is the only free MC that has 1.25% on CAD and a 3% on foreign purchases at the moment. So if I understand what you wrote, you suggest me to apply to Rogers MC by phone (like a dummy :D) and let the reps determine if I qualify for WE?
I will get the third category for Tangerine as well, you are right I have nothing to lose. Is it better to apply to a saving account with GCR or with the Orange key of my friend?
Should I also churn AMEX cards when I buy my travels once a year (~1500-2000$)?
Oct 28, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Do they refuse to let you purchase gift cards with a CC, at Metro for instance, if you are buying quite a few groceries there, and happen to have a few gift cards in your basket, or if you go there only to buy gift cards? I think some places are fine with the former but none with the later. I know that when I tried to do the later at a Super C, I had to deal with an angry manager who told me to pay with debit or cash. I told her to go put them back on the shelf and walked away.
The gift cards are located at the customer service in my metro, so I had to deal with a different person after I bought my groceries. When I said I want to buy gift cards with my credit card, the metro employee looked at me with big eyes and said: "No Mister, in debit or cash only". So I answered "Bye Bye" like you :D
Sep 17, 2018
97 posts
131 upvotes
ON
Toto123456789 wrote: So if I understand what you wrote, you suggest me to apply to Rogers MC by phone (like a dummy :D) and let the reps determine if I qualify for WE?
When I'm suggesting you could call, it's to ask about upgrading to the World Elite after you get your Rogers Platinum (which you can apply for however you like of course). I hoped to relieve any anxiety you might have about trying to get some better cards in your wallet, since in this case both do almost the exact same, but the WE has better rewards! :) Especially at Rogers Bank, the phone reps are quite happy to see if they can upgrade your existing card to the WE, and getting approved for a basic card first could smooth that process over if you're concerned they would not accept your application to their best card initially