• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 8:35 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 26, 2015
96 posts
56 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Newman26 wrote: and I get that same page on mine except instead of 50,000 it says 30,000. Guess who's on the phone to clarify now...lol
Good luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1432 posts
114 upvotes
Ok so I called and spoke to a rep. who stated if I applied and the 50,000 bonus points was in the link I clicked to apply then I should get that. I guess I will have to just wait till the card comes and use it to see how much points I will get.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1420 posts
85 upvotes
perfect timing, thank you !

my CIBC aeroplan visa is due for renewal fee April, I have cancelled all my AMEX and TD aero, slowly apply for all of them again and plan for our next trip... :)
Thank you in advance for your help !
Feb 21, 2008
137 posts
12 upvotes
bestjsg wrote: perfect timing, thank you !

my CIBC aeroplan visa is due for renewal fee April, I have cancelled all my AMEX and TD aero, slowly apply for all of them again and plan for our next trip... :)
Does that work? I thought if you are a return customer you won't get the bonus points when signing up?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1420 posts
85 upvotes
bballstuffer wrote: Does that work? I thought if you are a return customer you won't get the bonus points when signing up?
Amex has been working great for us, we referred each other amongst some friends , cancel , reapply etc , in about 1.5 yrs we got 4 tickets flying to Asia this summer (300,000 points)... at one point I had two identical cibc aeroplan visa at the same time... I think as long as you don't Mind the credit hit on your file , it is worth it.
Thank you in advance for your help !
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1912 posts
1314 upvotes
Mississauga
Does applying for a credit card, then cancelling it after FYF hurt your credit score? I am planning on applying the TD Aeroplan.
Sep 29, 2007
515 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
Great thread!

Would be interested to know which ones are churnable vs ones that only give bonus points once.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
Newman26 wrote: and I get that same page on mine except instead of 50,000 it says 30,000. Guess who's on the phone to clarify now...lol
The link page from your rewards online page depends whether you are a basic level o silver level rewards member.

My wife is silver and her page shows 50k pts. I am basic and my page shows 30k pts. I didn't apply using the link on my rewards online page. I applied using another link showing 50k pts. I should get 50k pts and will know for sure in a few weeks when I get my 1st statement.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
3215 posts
1264 upvotes
Ajax
How about the Westjet Elite RBC Mastercard?

$100 annual fee but you get free checked bags ($50 value per return flight), $250 welcome bonus in Westjet dollars and a $99 companion flight per year. I think that's great value that keeps on giving each year
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Cjohnson202 wrote: How about the Westjet Elite RBC Mastercard?

$100 annual fee but you get free checked bags ($50 value per return flight), $250 welcome bonus in Westjet dollars and a $99 companion flight per year. I think that's great value that keeps on giving each year
Only problem is you're forced to fly with WestJet
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa

What does it mean by $99 companion flight per year?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1432 posts
114 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: The link page from your rewards online page depends whether you are a basic level o silver level rewards member.

My wife is silver and her page shows 50k pts. I am basic and my page shows 30k pts. I didn't apply using the link on my rewards online page. I applied using another link showing 50k pts. I should get 50k pts and will know for sure in a few weeks when I get my 1st statement.
I applied using the 50,000 bonus points link so I will just wait till i get the card use it once, then wait for the statement to confirm how much points I do get.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong

Jon Lai wrote: Only problem is you're forced to fly with WestJet
masoud100 wrote: What does it mean by $99 companion flight per year?
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-card ... rcard.html

:) As I stated, I considered $200+ worth of welcome bonus and $250 - $99 annual fee isn't that great

Plus, yes, one needs to fly WestJet and USE the companion flight to make it worth it
Speedy1 wrote: The link page from your rewards online page depends whether you are a basic level o silver level rewards member.

I applied using the elite link as regular memeber, non-Elite, not logged in, and I got 50K
There are many links (including up-sell links AFTER you logged in), just make sure it says 50K and take screenshot
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2013
1181 posts
329 upvotes
ON
bestjsg wrote: Amex has been working great for us, we referred each other amongst some friends , cancel , reapply etc , in about 1.5 yrs we got 4 tickets flying to Asia this summer (300,000 points)... at one point I had two identical cibc aeroplan visa at the same time... I think as long as you don't Mind the credit hit on your file , it is worth it.
That's awesome!! How early would you cancel and when is the earliest you would reapply for a card.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
3215 posts
1264 upvotes
Ajax
masoud100 wrote: What does it mean by $99 companion flight per year?
Basically once a year you pay regular price for a round trip flight and you can bring someone with you for $99 + taxes. So say your flight is $500 taxes in, the $99 companion would probably be $300ish taxes in? So you're looking at 800 for two flights, which is saving another $200 dollars-ish. Obviously you save more depending on how expensive your flight is
Mar 14, 2015
833 posts
94 upvotes
Edmonton
Is card churning not a problem? Won't this affect your credit score quite a bit?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
FlyOverMyDoodle wrote: Is card churning not a problem? Won't this affect your credit score quite a bit?
It's not an issue, as long as
- you do it responsibly = don't go crazy at once, do it slowly, pay off balance
- you have good/great score to begin with (700+)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
FlyOverMyDoodle wrote: Is card churning not a problem? Won't this affect your credit score quite a bit?
If your credit score is a concern for you in seeking credit for a mortgage/loan in the short term future, then it could potentially be a big problem for you if things go sour. As Jerry says...don't go overboard, monitor your score, and be responsible. Else, be prepared to mend your credit rating/profile.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)