Travel

List of Helpful Smartphone Apps for Travelling

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 3:33 pm
Dec 12, 2013
148 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Mobil Passport is a great app that stores all passport info for your party which you then send to USBP upon arrival in US airports which allows you to bypass customs lines when arriving by air. You basically fill out your customs cards electronically and they send you a confirmation code saying your approved to enter.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4309 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Drewmar wrote:
Sep 6th, 2016 6:49 am
Mobil Passport is a great app that stores all passport info for your party which you then send to USBP upon arrival in US airports which allows you to bypass customs lines when arriving by air. You basically fill out your customs cards electronically and they send you a confirmation code saying your approved to enter.
Oh man I wish I read this prior. I wonder how much time I've wasted in these lines.

Also translator apps, if possible that work offline, to translate English to whatever country you're visiting.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2015
1212 posts
421 upvotes
North York, ON
An international weather app and a local one.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1139 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Some of my faves:

Hoteltonight: For booking a last minute hotel nearby (Say your flight got cancelled and want to quickly book something around the airport)
SeatGuru: For looking for the best seats on an aircraft
Mr Border: Border information and wait times for land crossings.
Celebrating 15+ years on RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2051 posts
807 upvotes
Toronto
wysiwyg wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 7:44 pm
Some of my faves:

Hoteltonight: For booking a last minute hotel nearby (Say your flight got cancelled and want to quickly book something around the airport)
SeatGuru: For looking for the best seats on an aircraft
Mr Border: Border information and wait times for land crossings.
Thanks mate, I've updated the thread with your suggestions and fixed a few links :)
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1290 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
Agoda and Booking.com usually offer the best hotel rates , especially if you use their app. Prices for Asian hotels through Agoda sometimes up to 3 times lower than say Expedia.

Xe.Com app is great too for currency exchange.

Lounge Buddy is great for finding lounges and reading reviews.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1402 upvotes
Richmond
Thanks so much for mentioning Mobile Passport. I tried it for the first time yesterday, flying into Atlanta from South America, and it worked pretty much as advertised. I doubt it saved us much time in this particular instance since the lineups weren't long at 6:30am, and it took a few minutes to get signed into the free airport WiFi to submit the information. But the Mobile Passport line bypass was clearly marked, and allowed us to breeze through. Just a one-minute wait for an agent to be available, flash the QR code on my screen to the machine, show passport, answer one question "In transit to Canada?", and that was it. Not much different than usual, but I could see it being really useful when the lines are long, which I have encountered there in the past.

Entry to Canada at YVR was much worse. First they distributed the paper forms to fill out as usual, only to find that they have been replaced by new paperless machines at immigration, which apparently they failed to mention to the airlines. Then we got stuck behind hundreds of cruise ship passengers arriving at the same time. Then Delta Airlines couldn't get the cargo door open on their aircraft, so we had to wait an hour for our bags to show up. The usual. :)
Nov 24, 2005
96 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd also like to recommend Gas Buddy. it is an excellent app to help you find cheap gas for long road trips. I did a road trip from Toronto to Austin, TX and back last summer and it made it so easy to plan and find our our gas stops. Their Map view allows you to scan the gas prices along your route to find the best gas prices. It obviously is most convenient if you have a data plan, but finding free Wifi hotspots can work too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2051 posts
807 upvotes
Toronto
Snake-Eyes wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 4:07 pm
I'd also like to recommend Gas Buddy. it is an excellent app to help you find cheap gas for long road trips. I did a road trip from Toronto to Austin, TX and back last summer and it made it so easy to plan and find our our gas stops. Their Map view allows you to scan the gas prices along your route to find the best gas prices. It obviously is most convenient if you have a data plan, but finding free Wifi hotspots can work too.
Very great suggestion, I will add that to the list.
Sep 19, 2013
956 posts
276 upvotes
Winnipeg
any good fast food locator apps. there is only one mentioned above foodspotting. any other suggestions...