Travel

List of Helpful Smartphone Apps for Travelling

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2024 7:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
redkulat wrote: I just tried it on Monday. It's got a long way to go from being perfect. You still have to confirm all of the information input on the app. I guess it's a good idea and approach, I hope they refine it.
Confirm how?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Under the Local Guides and Tools section, I suggest: FLIO.

In unfamiliar airports, this app is great at helping you find all of the services available in that airport. For example, I was at Incheon for the first time this year. Through FLIO, I instantly knew about free tours into the city for layovers, the free Korean history museum inside the airport, the ice skating rink inside the airport, the spa, showers, all food places, etc. This app really does a good job of keeping all information in one place.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1089 posts
104 upvotes
just returned form maui and used the GyPSy guide app.

Best $10 I have spent. It was like having a private tour guide in the car.
Told you lots of info. Where to stop what to see.
Used it all over the island but especially on Road to Hana.

mostly guides for US and Canada destinations.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4777 posts
5071 upvotes
East GTA
Jucius Maximus wrote: Under the Local Guides and Tools section, I suggest: FLIO.

In unfamiliar airports, this app is great at helping you find all of the services available in that airport. For example, I was at Incheon for the first time this year. Through FLIO, I instantly knew about free tours into the city for layovers, the free Korean history museum inside the airport, the ice skating rink inside the airport, the spa, showers, all food places, etc. This app really does a good job of keeping all information in one place.
l69norm wrote: CBSA Border Wait Times app for land crossings:

Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .bwt&hl=en

Apple
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/cbsa-ca ... 91634?mt=8

It has both the Canadian and US crossings
batcave wrote: Here's a thread that might also be useful for travellers wanting phone/data access,

roaming-sims-travelers-2183565/
rubeus wrote: just returned form maui and used the GyPSy guide app.

Best $10 I have spent. It was like having a private tour guide in the car.
Told you lots of info. Where to stop what to see.
Used it all over the island but especially on Road to Hana.

mostly guides for US and Canada destinations.
Thank you all! I have added all of your suggestions.
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Currency Plus

Great for $$ conversion calculation
Oct 8, 2018
49 posts
56 upvotes
The MetroMan app(s) are fantastic if you think you’ll venture out on the subways/metros in cities you’re visiting. I used it for China and was able to search by city to get the subway map for it and then search by different subway stations to find out how to get between each one, where to make switches, and how much the entire trip would cost (so that I knew what ticket to buy) and the time it would take. They do have different apps for some different cities as well including Tokyo, Mexico City, London, Madrid, etc
Sep 25, 2001
633 posts
141 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Wow, I just spent 10 days on Maui. We loved GyPSy. I highly recommend this app, I would be happy to pay much more. The Narrator was easy to listen to and added lots of humour to the journey. All ages enjoyed it. The kids were always asking me to turn GyPSy one. It was nice to hear things like skip this lookout, the one around the corner is better. Saves time and I feel like I didn't miss out on something I also described what was coming up so you were prepared when you arrived. I will definitely use it on other driving trips.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
Mentioned this app in another thread. Say Hi. great translation app.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4777 posts
5071 upvotes
East GTA
tatsabrat wrote: The MetroMan app(s) are fantastic if you think you’ll venture out on the subways/metros in cities you’re visiting. I used it for China and was able to search by city to get the subway map for it and then search by different subway stations to find out how to get between each one, where to make switches, and how much the entire trip would cost (so that I knew what ticket to buy) and the time it would take. They do have different apps for some different cities as well including Tokyo, Mexico City, London, Madrid, etc
Is it only iPhone? Do you know if they have a site?
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337
Oct 8, 2018
49 posts
56 upvotes
redkulat wrote: Is it only iPhone? Do you know if they have a site?
I'm so sorry, I thought that I had replied to this question months ago. Hopefully you found the answer already! However, if you haven't... I think that they are also on google play. I also found a youtube tutorial video for it -
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Google Trips is being retired. You should remove the from this thread. Slightly Smiling Face
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4777 posts
5071 upvotes
East GTA
Jucius Maximus wrote: Google Trips is being retired. You should remove the from this thread. Slightly Smiling Face
Ah no way, thats too bad. Thanks for letting me know, will remove it.
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337