• Jul 9th, 2023 12:01 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes

List of Lenders that pull Equifax, Transunion, or Both

Alright, would you fellow RFDers find it might be useful to compile a list of lenders that pull either Equifax, Transunion, or both when inquiring your credit file?

Maybe a master thread would be helpful for this purpose.

Here we go:

(E) = Equifax
(T) = Transunion
(B) = Both (*Note: Some lenders will pull one, then pull the other if they need more info. Others will always pull both. YMMV)

Amex Bank of Canada: (T)
Bell Mobility/Virgin Mobile: (E)
BMO: (B)
Borrowell: (E)
Bridgewater Bank: (T)
CAA Mastercard (T)
Canadian Tire: (T)
Capital One: (B)
CIBC: (E)
Citi financial The Home Depot cards etc...: (E)
Dell Financial: (E)
Desjardins:(E)
Future Shop/Chase: (E)
HSBC: (E)
ING: (E)
Laurentian Bank: (T)
MBNA: (T) first, then (E) if they need more info
National Bank: (T)
PC Financial: (E)
Rogers Wireless/Fido: (T)
Royal Bank: (T)
Scotiabank: (B)
TD: (E)
Telus Mobility/Koodo Mobile: (E)
Vancity Visa: (T)
Wal-Mart MasterCard: (T)

Feel free to add your own info into this thread and I will try to update the OP as diligently as possible.
Last edited by ilove on May 16th, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Looks like OP's last edit was over a decade ago. Thread summary created as of June 24, 2023 with data stuck from May 2012. Feel free to edit/modernize:

Sister thread with empirical data crowdsourced from RFD (Google Spreadsheet):

List of creditors/lenders that pull/inquire from Equifax & TransUnion, and credit card application info. Update!
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/list-cr ... e-1930587/

(E) = Equifax
(T) = Transunion
(B) = Both (*Note: Some lenders will pull one, then pull the other if they need more info. Others will always pull both. YMMV)

Date format: [YYYY-MM]

[Update Date: 2023-06] Amex Bank of Canada: (T)
[Update Date: 2012-05] Bell Mobility/Virgin Mobile:(E)
[Update Date: 2012-05] BMO: (B)
[Update Date: 2023-06] Borrowell: (E) *****YOU CAN USE THESE GUYS TO CHECK YOUR EQUIFAX SCORE "FREE"***** & Get Inactivity Alerts
[Update Date: 2012-05] Bridgewater Bank: (T)
[Update Date: 2023-06] BRIM: (T)
[Update Date: 2012-05] CAA Mastercard (T)
[Update Date: 2023-06] Canadian Tire: (T) + E if more info required
[Update Date: 2023-06] Capital One: (B)
[Update Date: 2023-06] CIBC: (E)
[Update Date: 2012-05] Citi financial The Home Depot cards etc...: (E)
[Update Date: 2023-06] Credit Karma: (T) *****YOU CAN USE THESE GUYS TO CHECK YOUR TRANSUNION SCORE "FREE"*****
[Update Date: 2012-05] Dell Financial: (E)
[Update Date: 2023-06] Desjardins: (E)
[Update Date: 2023-07] Freedom Mobile: (E)
[Update Date: 2012-05] Future Shop/Chase: (E)
[Update Date: 2023-06] HSBC: (E)
[Update Date: 2023-06] Home Trust: (E)
[Update Date: 2023-07] Innovation CU: (E)
[Update Date: 2012-05] ING: (E)
[Update Date: 2012-05] Laurentian Bank:(T)
[Update Date: 2023-06] MBNA: (T) first, then (E) if they need more info
[Update Date: 2023-06] National Bank: (T)
[Update Date: 2023-07] NEO Financial: (T)
[Update Date: 2023-06] PC Financial: (E)
[Update Date: 2023-06] Rogers Wireless/Fido: (T)
[Update Date: 2023-06] Royal Bank: (T)
[Update Date: 2012-05] Scotiabank: (B)
[Update Date: 2023-06] Tangerine: (T)
[Update Date: 2023-06] TD Canada Trust: (E)
[Update Date: 2012-05] Telus Mobility/Koodo Mobile: (E)
[Update Date: 2023-06] Vancity Visa: (T)
[Update Date: 2012-05] Wal-Mart MasterCard: (T)

Initial 2023-06 adjustments in Edit #5 sourced from here: https://princeoftravel.com/guides/how-t ... inquiries/
Updated 2023-07 added Freedom, Innovation, NEO
248 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1146 posts
246 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ilove wrote: Alright, would you fellow RFDers find it might be useful to compile a list of lenders that pull either Equifax, Transunion, or both when inquiring your credit file?

Here we go:

(E) = Equifax
(T) = Transunion
(B) = Both

Amex Bank of Canada: (T) but only reports on (E)
MBNA: (B)
BMO: (T)

Feel free to add your own info into this thread and I will try to update the OP as diligently as possible.

BMO (E) reports to (B)
TD (E) reports to (B)
CIBC (E) reports to (B)
Future Shop/Chase (E) reports to (B)

RBC from what I know (T) reports to (B)
AMEX (T) reports to (B)

Nyd
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
nyder74 wrote: BMO (E) reports to (B)
TD (E) reports to (B)
CIBC (E) reports to (B)
Future Shop/Chase (E) reports to (B)

RBC from what I know (T) reports to (B)
AMEX (T) reports to (B)

Nyd

These are correct, but I will also add that BMO did pull my TU one time in the 5 years I've been their customer. Other than that, they have been EQ exclusive.
MBNA pulls TU only, reports to both.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
By the way, there is a lengthy thread already covering this subject here on RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
I support a new thread on this topic. The other thread was a mess the last time I seen it floating around. The OP of that thread never kept a running updated list, so the thread wasn't useful at all.
ilove wrote: Alright, would you fellow RFDers find it might be useful to compile a list of lenders that pull either Equifax, Transunion, or both when inquiring your credit file?

Here we go:

(E) = Equifax
(T) = Transunion
(B) = Both

Amex Bank of Canada: (T) but only reports on (E)
MBNA: (B)
BMO: (T)

Where the heck do you get your information?

First of all, Amex reports to both.

Secondly, MBNA only pulls one (usually TU) if you apply online (initial application or credit limit increase), but they will pull EQ if 1) they can't accurately locate your report on TU using the info you provided online, and/or 2) they want to take a closer look, and/or 3) if there is any discrepancy they want to sort out. That being said: It's not too often they look at both bureaus.

And lastly, can someone please tell me what creditor does NOT report to both bureaus? Everybody keeps saying they know of one, but nobody can give me a name. Whenever I ask it just gets ignored and nobody says anything. The reason I want to know is because over the decades I have, or had, done business with pretty much every major creditor in the country. And they ALL report to both. So I want to know what bank/credit union/whatever reports to one bureau and not the other. If nobody can provide a name, fine. Just please stop saying it.)

As far as I'm concerned, you can update the OP to state that ALL creditors report to BOTH bureaus...because they do.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
Paulfistinyourface wrote: I support a new thread on this topic. The other thread was a mess the last time I seen it floating around. The OP of that thread never kept a running updated list, so the thread wasn't useful at all.

Where the heck do you get your information?

First of all, Amex reports to both.

Secondly, MBNA only pulls one (usually TU) if you apply online (initial application or credit limit increase), but they will pull EQ if 1) they can't accurately locate your report on TU using the info you provided online, and/or 2) they want to take a closer look, and/or 3) if there is any discrepancy they want to sort out. That being said: It's not too often they look at both bureaus.

And lastly, can someone please tell me what creditor does NOT report to both bureaus? Everybody keeps saying they know of one, but nobody can give me a name. Whenever I ask it just gets ignored and nobody says anything. The reason I want to know is because over the decades I have, or had, done business with pretty much every major creditor in the country. And they ALL report to both. So I want to know what bank/credit union/whatever reports to one bureau and not the other. If nobody can provide a name, fine. Just please stop saying it.)

As far as I'm concerned, you can update the OP to state that ALL creditors report to BOTH bureaus...because they do.

Is the OP looking for data on bureau pulls or bureau reporting? I think its 'pulls' as its stated in his/her first sentence.
One thing I will say is each credit product will not always pull both bureaus. CC applications are automated while applications for installment loans and/or mortgages are not automated so one or both bureaus may be pulled predicated on the applicants scoring and/or the credit analysts personal preferences.

I can concur with Paulfistinyourface that Amex reports to both. But they may only pull EQ when one is applying for their CC

Having personal experience with both TCCI(Toyota Credit) and HCFI(Honda Finance), they report to both. But only pull EQ
Our auto finance division also reports to both but only pulls EQ for finance consideration.
If we have a client who is marginal or shows conflicting evidence, then we may pull TU as well.

SubPrime financiers TDFS and SDA may also pull both as they attract credit challenged clients so they would require a full financial picture of all delinquencies.
They would also report to both

As for credit card applications, rarely will they pull both. The cost of pulling both bureaus for every applicant on automated systems would be enormous.(even though our cost is equivalent to a couple cups of coffee)
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Paulfistinyourface wrote: And lastly, can someone please tell me what creditor does NOT report to both bureaus?

I won't say for sure, but I opened an HBC MasterCard (now issued by Capital One) at the beginning of March. SO FAR, that account has yet to show up on Equifax. It's on it's second reporting cycle to Transunion, but is not yet on my Equifax. Another RFDer stated it takes Equifax a few months to pick up on it and report it. I don't know how true that is, so I'll wait and see what happens. Every other account i have reports to both.
As it stands today, the account has been open for 2 months, and only reports to Transunion.
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
To add to our new list, is this collection of credit issuers and the bureaus they pull.

EQUIFAX

Chase
National Bank
Credit Unions (assuming they all use the same)
TD
Scotiabank
CIBC
BMO
HSBC
Citi financial The Home Depot cards etc...
Desjardins
PCF
Koodo Mobile
Telus Mobility
Virgin Mobile
ING
Dell Financial
Bell Mobility

TRANSUNION

Capital One (may check both)
MBNA
Wal-Mart MasterCard
American Express
Royal Bank
CT Financial
Scotia Bank (yes they check here too)
Vancity Visa
BMO (not sure how often they pull TU)
Rogers Wireless
Fido

These are the results I've found from viewing my own reports and family members' reports.
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
Thanks everyone. Updated OP with your info.
wayne74 wrote: To add to our new list, is this collection of credit issuers and the bureaus they pull.

EQUIFAX

Chase
National Bank
TD
Scotiabank
CIBC
BMO
HSBC
Desjardins
PCF
Koodo Mobile
Telus Mobility
Virgin Mobile
ING
Dell Financial
Bell Mobility

TRANSUNION

MBNA
Wal-Mart MasterCard
American Express
Royal Bank
CT Financial
Vancity Visa
Rogers Wireless
Fido

These are the results I've found from viewing my own reports and family members' reports.

Thanks for the huge list.
I will finish updating with this information once I get confirmation from another poster.
Jul 18, 2009
679 posts
103 upvotes
Bell appears to only report to equifax, and telus to transunion. Or at least, on MY reports, that is the case.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: Is the OP looking for data on bureau pulls or bureau reporting? I think its 'pulls' as its stated in his/her first sentence.
I'm aware of that, but he had said "Amex only reports to EQ" in the OP, which is incorrect.
wayne74 wrote: I won't say for sure, but I opened an HBC MasterCard (now issued by Capital One) at the beginning of March. SO FAR, that account has yet to show up on Equifax. It's on it's second reporting cycle to Transunion, but is not yet on my Equifax. Another RFDer stated it takes Equifax a few months to pick up on it and report it. I don't know how true that is, so I'll wait and see what happens. Every other account i have reports to both.
As it stands today, the account has been open for 2 months, and only reports to Transunion.
It'll report to EQ eventually. It typically takes EQ 3-6 months to get their act together.

Anyways, some corrections/additions + some notes:

-National Bank will pull TU. Notes: they do soft pulls from both bureaus (mostly EQ though) from time to time in order to pre-approve people for CLIs. If they cannot auto-approve you for a CLI request initiated by the customer, they will do a hard pull from TU.

-Laurentian Bank will pull TU.

-Vancity will pull TU.

-Scotiabank has an odd system of who they pull. As a rule of thumb: If you apply online; they pull TU. If you apply in-branch; they pull EQ. If you apply by phone it's 50/50. (I tried to explain this in greater detail, but it will just cause confusion. So I deleted it.)

-BMO generally defaults to EQ, but if your report is anything less than stellar they will also pull TU without hesitation.

-Ally will pull TU if you're looking for Auto financing.

EDIT. It's really hard to say what the smaller regional credit unions will pull. A lot of them used to use (or continue to use) MBNA for their credit card apps, but most of my local credit unions are now on their own, free to choose, for their personal loans/lines of credit/auto loans/whatever. My GF inquired about an auto loan a couple weeks ago, and the lady at the local credit union said they will pull TU.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Paulfistinyourface wrote: -National Bank will pull TU. Notes: they do soft pulls from both bureaus (mostly EQ though) from time to time in order to pre-approve people for CLIs. If they cannot auto-approve you for a CLI request initiated by the customer, they will do a hard pull from TU.

I guess we can put National as pulling one or the other then, as not more than six months ago, they did a hard check on my nephew's Equifax for an online app he completed. They pulled Equifax only.

Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
starchyk wrote: Bell appears to only report to equifax, and telus to transunion. Or at least, on MY reports, that is the case.

This thread is for who pulls what bureau, not for who reports where. But anyway my Telus accounts show on both, as does my Rogers Wireless account.

Apr 3, 2012
20 posts
NEPEAN
wayne74 wrote: To add to our new list, is this collection of credit issuers and the bureaus they pull.

EQUIFAX

Chase
National Bank
TD
Scotiabank
CIBC
BMO
HSBC
Desjardins
PCF
Koodo Mobile
Telus Mobility
Virgin Mobile
ING
Dell Financial
Bell Mobility

TRANSUNION

MBNA
Wal-Mart MasterCard
American Express
Royal Bank
CT Financial
Vancity Visa
Rogers Wireless
Fido

MBNA and Rogers and Capitalone are on my Equifax reports so they must pull both

thanks for the list :cool:
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
storm867 wrote: MBNA and Rogers and Capitalone are on my Equifax reports so they must pull both

thanks for the list :cool:

Are you saying inquiries? Or the trade lines?
Just because they are reporting on your Equifax, doesn't mean they pull both. They REPORT to both. Capital One does pull both SOMETIMES, not all the time. It depends how you apply. MBNA pulls Transunion exclusively, unless they don't find enough info on you, then they pull Equifax according to reports from other RFDers. Rogers I think would only pull one bureau, for the simple fact of the cost to pull both just for a cell contract doesn't make sense.

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
List has been updated.
Apr 3, 2012
20 posts
NEPEAN
wayne74 wrote: Are you saying inquiries? Or the trade lines?
Just because they are reporting on your Equifax, doesn't mean they pull both. They REPORT to both. Capital One does pull both SOMETIMES, not all the time. It depends how you apply. MBNA pulls Transunion exclusively, unless they don't find enough info on you, then they pull Equifax according to reports from other RFDers. Rogers I think would only pull one bureau, for the simple fact of the cost to pull both just for a cell contract doesn't make sense.

the tradelines are reporting from MBNA Cap1 Rogers is reporting but no inquiries from Rogers on my Equifax the Rogers is for home phone cell and internet no cable tv here :cry:

i see thanks for the info :)

might have to order my Transunion hmmmmmm will comeback and update once i get the free yearly report in the mail
Aug 18, 2004
307 posts
37 upvotes
Paulfistinyourface wrote: I'm aware of that, but he had said "Amex only reports to EQ" in the OP, which is incorrect.

It'll report to EQ eventually. It typically takes EQ 3-6 months to get their act together.

Anyways, some corrections/additions + some notes:

-National Bank will pull TU. Notes: they do soft pulls from both bureaus (mostly EQ though) from time to time in order to pre-approve people for CLIs. If they cannot auto-approve you for a CLI request initiated by the customer, they will do a hard pull from TU.

-Laurentian Bank will pull TU.

-Vancity will pull TU.

-Scotiabank has an odd system of who they pull. As a rule of thumb: If you apply online; they pull TU. If you apply in-branch; they pull EQ. If you apply by phone it's 50/50. (I tried to explain this in greater detail, but it will just cause confusion. So I deleted it.)

-BMO generally defaults to EQ, but if your report is anything less than stellar they will also pull TU without hesitation.

-Ally will pull TU if you're looking for Auto financing.

EDIT. It's really hard to say what the smaller regional credit unions will pull. A lot of them used to use (or continue to use) MBNA for their credit card apps, but most of my local credit unions are now on their own, free to choose, for their personal loans/lines of credit/auto loans/whatever. My GF inquired about an auto loan a couple weeks ago, and the lady at the local credit union said they will pull TU.
I Have a Vancity Visa and a LOC. The Visa did a hard pull from TU and continues soft pulls with TU and nothing on EQ. Where as my LOC with Vancity was with a hard pull from EQ and also continues with soft pulls from EQ and nothing on TU. both report to both agencies.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
koop12 wrote: I Have a Vancity Visa and a LOC. The Visa did a hard pull from TU and continues soft pulls with TU and nothing on EQ. Where as my LOC with Vancity was with a hard pull from EQ and also continues with soft pulls from EQ and nothing on TU. both report to both agencies.

All credit unions use Desjardin for their credit card services. Desjardin uses TU while Vancity themselves (LOC/loans/mortgages) use EQ.
Aug 18, 2004
307 posts
37 upvotes
Deal Grabber wrote: All credit unions use Desjardin for their credit card services. Desjardin uses TU while Vancity themselves (LOC/loans/mortgages) use EQ.
Good to know thank you..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)