None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4453 posts
2115 upvotes
Vancouver

A list of merchants who accept AMEX in Canada

I found a list of merchants SOME merchants (definitely NOT comprehensive :D ) who accept American Express in Canada when I was looking at their website. Here is the link: https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... -list.html - This is a handy list for those who are looking to maximize their spending on AMEX cards. Some cards, like Scotiabank Amex Gold, give a 4% bonus on amounts spent on Groceries, Dining, Entertainment and Gas. Here's the full list of merchants incase the link is taken down in the future.

DINING
•ALICE FAZOOLI'S, JACK ASTOR'S, CANYON CREEK CHOPHOUSE, SECOND CITY, LOOSE CHANGE CHARLIES
•BROWNS SOCIALHOUSE
•BYMARK, FABBRICA, NORTH 44°, ONE RESTAURANT
•EARLS KITCHEN & BAR
•HARVEY'S, KELSEY'S, MILESTONE'S, MONTANA'S, SWISS CHALET, THE SECOND CUP
•MCDONALD'S
•MOXIE'S CLASSIC GRILL, CHOP RESTAURANTS, DENNYS, REVELSTOKE MOUNTAIN RESORT, SANDMAN HOTELS & INNS, SHARK CLUBS OF CANADA, THE SHARK CLUB OF LANGLEY
•OLIVER & BONACINI RESTAURANTS
•PICKLE BARREL
•THE KEG, HY'S STEAKHOUSES

HEALTH AND ESSENTIALS
•407 ETR
•7-ELEVEN
•BELL, VIRIGIN MOBILE, THE SOURCE
•CHEVRON
•ESSO
•GROCERY GATEWAY
•LONDON DRUGS
•LONGOS
•MARKETPLACE IGA (BC ONLY)
•MCEWAN
•METRO
•PETRO-CANADA, PIONEER
•PUSATERI'S
•REXALL
•ROGERS, FIDO
•SAVE-ON-FOODS, PRICESMART FOODS, URBAN FARE, OVERWAITEA FOODS
•SHAW
•SHELL CANADA
•SOBEYS, PRICE CHOPPER, FOODLAND, IGA, COMMISSO'S
•SAQ
•TELUS, KOODO MOBILE
•ULTRAMAR
•WHOLE FOODS MARKET

HOME AND ENTERTAINMENT
•APPLE
•BEST BUY, FUTURE SHOP
•CINEPLEX ENTERTAINMENT, FAMOUS PLAYERS, ALLIANCE ATLANTIS CINEMAS, GALAXY ENTERTAINMENT
•CLUBLINK
•CRATE & BARREL
•HOME DEPOT
•HOME HARDWARE
•LEON'S
•LOWE'S
•MIRVISH
•POTTERY BARN
•RESTORATION HARDWARE
•SLEEP COUNTRY CANADA
•STAPLES
•THE BRICK
•TICKETMASTER
•URBAN BARN
•VISIONS ELECTRONICS
•WEST ELM
•WILLIAM ASHLEY
•WILLIAMS SONOMA

RETAIL
•ALDO
•AMERICAN EAGLE OUTFITTERS
•ATMOSPHERE, COAST MOUNTAIN SPORTS, NATIONAL SPORTS, NEVADA BOB'S GOLF, SPORT CHEK, SPORT MART, SPORTS EXPERTS, ATHLETES WORLD , FITNESS SOURCE, GEN-X SPORTS INC, PODIUM, RNR OUTDOORS
•BEN MOSS
•BIRKS
•BROWNS
•H&M
•HOMESAV
•HOMESENSE
•INDIGO, CHAPTERS, COLES, CALENDAR CLUB OF CANADA, KOBO
•INDOCHINO
•LULULEMON
•MARSHALL'S
•REITMANS, RW & CO, SMART SET, THYME MATERNITY, ADDITION-ELLE, PENNINGTONS
•ROOTS
•SEARS
•SPORTING LIFE
•STYLESENSE
•THE BAY, HOME OUTFITTERS
•TOY'S R US, BABIES R US
•VICTORIA’S SECRET, BATH AND BODY WORKS, PINK, LA SENZA
•WAL-MART
•WINNERS

TRAVEL
•AIR CANADA
•AIR TRANSAT, NOLITOURS
•AVIS
•BEST WESTERN
•BUDGET
•CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES
•CELEBRITY CRUISES
•ENTERPRISE RENT-A-CAR
•FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
•FLIGHT CENTRE
•HERTZ
•HILTON HOTELS & RESORTS, HILTON HOMEWOOD SUITES, HILTON GARDEN INN, HAMPTON INN HOTELS, EMBASSY SUITES HOTELS, DOUBLETREE HOTELS
•HOLIDAY INN HOTELS, INTERCONTINENTAL HOTELS, CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL, CANDLEWOOD SUITES, STAYBRIDGE SUITES
•PORTER AIRLINES
•PRINCESS CRUISES
•ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES
•SUNWING TOURS
•THRIFTY
•WESTCORP HOTELS
•WESTJET
188 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4453 posts
2115 upvotes
Vancouver
bluebellrose wrote:
Nov 17th, 2015 12:49 pm
Wind takes amex and not there
Yes, there's a few missing. It's not a complete list. I also noticed Starbucks is missing. I assume they would take AMEX. Anyone know? I'm sure I've used AMEX at Sbux. Tim Hortons also missing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8061 posts
2876 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Feb 11, 2010
502 posts
255 upvotes
In my experience, using Amex as my primary card, it might be more useful to make a list of merchants that don't accept Amex. For all the discussion I see on this topic both here and elsewhere, I find it pretty rare to not be able to use my Amex. Maybe I've just been fortunate or don't shop at places that don't accept it by chance I don't know.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5382 posts
321 upvotes
Jor wrote:
Nov 17th, 2015 1:51 pm
In my experience, using Amex as my primary card, it might be more useful to make a list of merchants that don't accept Amex. For all the discussion I see on this topic both here and elsewhere, I find it pretty rare to not be able to use my Amex. Maybe I've just been fortunate or don't shop at places that don't accept it by chance I don't know.
I don't know where you shop. There are bijilion places don't take amex. - Costco, Loblaws, No Frills and many more local shops.
Oct 24, 2007
526 posts
239 upvotes
That list is not even close to comprehensive, that was just for an old card where you could choose stores to get extra points at.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4453 posts
2115 upvotes
Vancouver
dwalker19 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2015 3:06 pm
That list is not even close to comprehensive, that was just for an old card where you could choose stores to get extra points at.
You're right good sir. It is no longer a comprehensive list. Just a list.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1212 posts
221 upvotes
Jor wrote:
Nov 17th, 2015 1:51 pm
So 1. Tons of places don't take Amex. 2. If they do they ask "Do you have Mastercard or Visa? before a merchant who does take it give you a really dirty look.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6727 posts
1084 upvotes
Not all McDonalds locations take AMEX. The corporate locations accept AMEX but the franchised locations do not.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1172 posts
328 upvotes
Kanada
Shadow Rider wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 5:20 pm
So 1. Tons of places don't take Amex. 2. If they do they ask "Do you have Mastercard or Visa? before a merchant who does take it give you a really dirty look.
I give a look of contempt to the merchants that don't take my Amex card, and avoid giving them my business later. By not accepting Amex the come off as cheap and lacking of care about customers.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3700 posts
491 upvotes
Richmond
LNahid2000 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 5:56 pm
Not all McDonalds locations take AMEX. The corporate locations accept AMEX but the franchised locations do not.
That's why you go the gc method
Feb 11, 2010
502 posts
255 upvotes
Shadow Rider wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 5:20 pm
As I said, in my experience, "tons" of places do take Amex and the ones that don't are the exception. Having said that, I was in Vancouver and Victoria recently and found that some places that accept Amex in Ontario don't accept it in BC so lists like this may need to take location into consideration as well.

As for number 2 - that has never happened to me and if it did I'd probably just walk out and take my business somewhere else.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)