Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1240 posts
225 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 9:20 pm
That's because Dollarama is a high profit margin store, they use biometrics for security. I don't think your local mom and pop store will have that.
What type of biometrics do they use?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1240 posts
225 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 1:05 am
Is there possibility that RCSS and T&T will take Amex in the future?
You never know but I would say that it's unlikely. They seem to be doing quite well now without Amex and not taking Amex (and No Frills not taking Amex anD Visa) helps them promote/encourage their PCF Mastercards.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3814 upvotes
BC
lingecw wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 1:33 pm
My dentist didn't tell me he doesn't accept Amex, so I used my Amex. The transaction went through, then the clerk realized that I was using Amex when she gave me the receipt. She apologized but she had to refund the whole thing to me thru Amex, and recharged me using my Cap1 Aspire Travel mastercard.

I wonder how much he save?
coolintheshade wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 9:37 pm
I would have refused to have the initial transaction refunded.
You should report that merchant to Amex
^^^ this x 2.

I would have said no. I don't want a refund, I have no other card I want to pay with. I just paid you and it was accepted and authorized.

That is BS.

If they don't want to accept Amex then they need to arrange that with their bank / payment processor. If they are setup to take Amex then they have to take it.

Why do they signup with a merchant account that takes Amex if they don't actually want to accept it? Do they get a better rate across the board by doing that?

What they are doing is contradictory to the merchant account terms. They should be doing it differently.

And they should be reported to Amex for violating terms.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3814 upvotes
BC
lingecw wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 12:00 am
Will Amex do anything about it?
coolintheshade wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 12:04 am
Who knows. It's got to be a violation of the merchant agreement.
Call your dentist and ask to speak directly to them and ask if the receptionist/cashier is operating according to his/her instructions, and why ... and if he/she wants to lose all your future business over this shady practice and 1-2% difference if that.

Also ask if they'd rather be reported to Amex or continue to have your business and give you a 5% discount in the future for your troubles (and accept Amex).
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Jan 10, 2017
392 posts
136 upvotes
GTA
minimalist wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 1:36 am
What type of biometrics do they use?
Fingerprint lol
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Jan 10, 2017
392 posts
136 upvotes
GTA
ace604 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 2:31 am
Call your dentist and ask to speak directly to them and ask if the receptionist/cashier is operating according to his/her instructions, and why ... and if he/she wants to lose all your future business over this shady practice and 1-2% difference if that.

Also ask if they'd rather be reported to Amex or continue to have your business and give you a 5% discount in the future for your troubles (and accept Amex).
You would threaten the dentist who puts a drill in your mouth that you want more fees off of his revenue? This particular case I wouldn't go for it.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3814 upvotes
BC
MadCanadian wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 4:55 am
You would threaten the dentist who puts a drill in your mouth that you want more fees off of his revenue? This particular case I wouldn't go for it.
I wouldn't let him them drill ... just cleanings. :D

Switch dentists if you require drilling.
Last edited by ace604 on Jul 3rd, 2017 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1240 posts
225 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 5:09 am
I wouldn't let him drill ... just cleanings. :D

Switch dentists if you require drilling.
And make sure he/she really does, actually accept Amex!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1838 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver
Richmond BC:
H-Mart
Neptune Wonton Noodle
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄
Jan 21, 2012
220 posts
55 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 2:51 am
Richmond BC:
H-Mart
Neptune Wonton Noodle
That's impressed. I remembered almost every merchant in Richmond only accepted cash 3 years ago. Is it changing now?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1838 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver
lingecw wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 8:54 am
That's impressed. I remembered almost every merchant in Richmond only accepted cash 3 years ago. Is it changing now?
Almost every CHINESE merchant, not changed. That's why I was surprised, especially for the Chinese noodles restaurant.

I just started to use my new Scotia Gold Amex, and my experience has been good so far. It's kinda fun to explore Amex acceptance in greater Vancouver.
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄
Jan 9, 2011
972 posts
510 upvotes
Vancouver
ace604 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 2:27 am
Why do they signup with a merchant account that takes Amex if they don't actually want to accept it? Do they get a better rate across the board by doing that?
I had one small business owner tell me exactly that. I'm sure this is why we run into so many merchants who tell you they don't take Amex despite having a merchant account that accepts it; they want the lower V/MC merchant fees they get by taking the package deal, but they still want to turn away the Amex cards that will eat into their savings.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2326 posts
1181 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 10:01 am
I had one small business owner tell me exactly that. I'm sure this is why we run into so many merchants who tell you they don't take Amex despite having a merchant account that accepts it; they want the lower V/MC merchant fees they get by taking the package deal, but they still want to turn away the Amex cards that will eat into their savings.
+1
I don't really understand why Amex insists on charging exorbitant fees compared with Visa and MC, when they can just match their rates, and have a whole slew of additional merchants accepting their cards, and a ton more not refusing their cards.
Feb 17, 2017
209 posts
95 upvotes
Calgary
coolintheshade wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 12:15 pm
+1
I don't really understand why Amex insists on charging exorbitant fees compared with Visa and MC, when they can just match their rates, and have a whole slew of additional merchants accepting their cards, and a ton more not refusing their cards.
In reality Amex doesn't cost anymore to accept than a World Elite Card or Visa Infinite, when merchants are looking at their rates they usually compare AmEx to the standard visa/mc rate, which isn't really a fair comparison.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2326 posts
1181 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 12:50 pm
In reality Amex doesn't cost anymore to accept than a World Elite Card or Visa Infinite, when merchants are looking at their rates they usually compare AmEx to the standard visa/mc rate, which isn't really a fair comparison.
But, I'm sure there are more basic credit cards in people's wallets, than premium cards, due to the required income for premium cards.
So I can see why merchants would compare that way.
Most merchants probably see far more basic cards than premium.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)