Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2326 posts
1181 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 11:08 pm
American Express has always branded itself as a prestige brand. It highlights that with its "membership has its privileges" trademark, and its no-carrying-balances charge cards (something Visa and MC don't do) with their high annual fees are at the centre of it all. Amex considers itself to be a cut above Visa and Mastercard. Whether it actually is or not is beside the point, prestige has always been Amex's branding.

You can bet your boots that Amex's math geniuses know exactly what they are doing re: merchant fees. Amex does not need to get new math geniuses who will tell it to lower merchant fees. That's not how a prestige brand makes money.
I totally get what you're saying, I do.
There are other ways Amex can highlight their "prestige". For instance, their customer service is said to be top notch.
Not many can say the same about Visa and MC issuers. I know I can't really.
But if the current model works for them, then it is what it is. I just think they could potentially do better.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1240 posts
225 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 11:31 pm
I totally get what you're saying, I do.
There are other ways Amex can highlight their "prestige". For instance, their customer service is said to be top notch.
Not many can say the same about Visa and MC issuers. I know I can't really.
But if the current model works for them, then it is what it is. I just think they could potentially do better.
I guess we must each decide for ourselves if Amex is worth it or not.

I couldn't give a whit about Amex's "prestige". Nobody cares what kind of card you pay with these days.

I personally have not found the service to be "top notch". I've had errors to correct on my Amex accounts, bonus points not given in time, etc., CRSs that promise a follow up never do and some rude CSRs.

And of course, there is the "acceptance anxiety" that I mentioned upthread. So for me Amex is not worth it. After I finish my Amex churning I will say good bye to them. But not to worry, they are smart enough to know that they don't need me anyway. I don't think I'm their "target market". They are a multi-billion dollar global behemoth-good for them. Who am I to tell them how to run their business? I'm actually not, just sharing my personal views and experiences.

For those of you who love Amex-rock on. I'll be happy with my Mastercards and perhaps a Visa as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1838 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 11:08 pm
American Express has always branded itself as a prestige brand. It highlights that with its "membership has its privileges" trademark, and its no-carrying-balances charge cards (something Visa and MC don't do) with their high annual fees are at the centre of it all. Amex considers itself to be a cut above Visa and Mastercard. Whether it actually is or not is beside the point, prestige has always been Amex's branding.

You can bet your boots that Amex's math geniuses know exactly what they are doing re: merchant fees. Amex does not need to get new math geniuses who will tell it to lower merchant fees. That's not how a prestige brand makes money.
minimalist wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 11:17 pm
Prestige brand or not it is still in pain in the butt to not be able to use your Amex at many stores. This may not be the case in the US but it sure is for me in Canada.

When I go to a new store or restaurant I have "Amex acceptance anxiety". You've heard of "range anxiety" with electric cars? Well, for me I don't know if my Amex will be accepted or not. It is a kind of low level stress that I don't feel about my Mastercard or Visa.

I'd rather not have my payment method give me any kind of stress. Sure, Amex has some good churning bonuses that may offset this stress. But in the long term I would rather have a card free of "acceptance anxiety". It's just a pain.
Same as you, I have "Amex acceptance anxiety" when I use my Scotia Gold Amex. Everytime I use the card, I tell the cashier I use "credit" (instead of Visa/MC/Amex), hide the card (Amex logo) and hope he/she just passes me the terminal to "test it out". When I pay with my BMO WE, I feel very confident and completely show my card to the cashier, because not only it is WE and I feel special, but also I know it will be 100% accepted.

When your Amex keeps getting declined, I bet your frustration will add up. Amex seems to be able to survive in Canada now, but I don't think it is a healthy business.
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄
Jun 22, 2007
977 posts
303 upvotes
London, ON
Platypus wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 6:57 pm
Domino's doesn't appear to accept Amex either.
I use Amex all the time at Domino's.

Papa Johns accepts it as well.
Feb 17, 2017
209 posts
95 upvotes
Calgary
davethegr8 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:22 am
I use Amex all the time at Domino's.

Papa Johns accepts it as well.
Same here. In fact my local dominoes delivery has AmEx stickers plastered all over their terminals.
Jan 21, 2012
220 posts
55 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 5:43 pm
Could be that BK Canada franchicees do not want to pay AMEX merchant fees, since Tim Hortons accepts AMEX.

Burger King, Tim Hortons, and Popeyes have the same parent company, Restaurant Brands International (RBI).
3G Capital (Brazilian/American multibillion-dollar investment firm) owns 51% of RBI.
The Tim Horton that I go frequently refuse to accept Amex recently, they used to take Amex before.
I think it is totally depend on the store. Take A&W as an example, some stores accept Amex while some don't.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3814 upvotes
BC
lingecw wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 10:33 am
The Tim Horton that I go frequently refuse to accept Amex recently, they used to take Amex before.
I think it is totally depend on the store. Take A&W as an example, some stores accept Amex while some don't.
Some A&W "say" they don't take Amex... but both locations that told me this I've since returned to and "said" Visa and paid successfully with Amex.

I decided to try this after having a conversation with the very friendly manager/franchisee at our main A&W that we frequent the most for weekend breakfasts, etc.

This location (A) has Amex stickers on the door along with the other card logos and happily accepts it. After getting shot down at a different location (B) 10 minutes away one day, upon next visit to A I happened to see manager and asked her about if Amex should work at all locations. She said that with their "new system" they have all the locations should work the same. "Hmmm..." I thought.

So the next time we happened to be at location B, instead of asking if they took Amex, when she asked how I wanted to pay I just said "credit card".

Amex tap worked just fine. Imagine that.

At location C (in a mall food court) I'd been given the line that the entire food court doesn't take Amex so it wasn't up to them. Seems odd reasoning for a franchise. One day I had tried saying "MasterCard" (since that was the plan), and tap Amex anyways first ... but it didn't work, so I used he planned MC.

I'm not sure what made me think to try again differently on another visit at location C, but I did by saying "Visa" and lo and behold ... Amex worked.

This may just be a matter of poorly configured local register POS software or staff not given correct info. Or a conspiracy to decline Amex :)

But anyways... A&W takes Amex. All locations for me now - even the ones that think they don't.

For die-hard Amex'ers another solution that works for some of these franchisee variations in Amex acceptance is to e.g. buy Timmies gift cards at the Amex-accepting locations and use those at the other locations :)

When I had to meet min. spend on an Amex last year and I didn't know my lunch A&W (location C at the mall) actually did take Amex I did just this - bought a gift card at my "home A&W" and used that for lunches. When it depleted I could even reload it online with Amex.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26879 posts
6384 upvotes
GTHA
lingecw wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 10:33 am
I think it is totally depend on the store.
Use a Tim Hortons Card and reload online using your AMEX card.

from https://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/corpor ... hp?id=8165

"TORONTO, July 8, 2013 /CNW/ - American Express Canada and Tim Hortons are pleased to announce that customers of Canada's most popular and largest quick service restaurant chain can pay using their American Express Card. The payment option is available at most locations across Canada. In addition to offering consumers this payment option in store, consumers can also now reload their Tim Hortons Card online with their American Express Card."
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2326 posts
1181 upvotes
wra45mon wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 8:03 pm
Even Dollarama takes amex now
I haven't seen a single Dollarama that even takes credit cards Thinking Face
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26879 posts
6384 upvotes
GTHA
coolintheshade wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 9:37 pm
I haven't seen a single Dollarama that even takes credit cards Thinking Face
Dollarama to Open More Stores and Begin Accepting Credit Cards at All Locations
http://www.redflagdeals.com/latest-news ... locations/

Perhaps the most important tidbit from this press release was the announcement that credit cards will finally be accepted at all Dollarama locations. Currently, most Dollarama stores only accept cash or debit as payment, with the exception of select stores in Alberta, British Columbia and New Brunswick, which were part of a credit card pilot program launched in 2016. The move is expected to occur during the second quarter of Dollarama’s 2018 fiscal year, which would place it sometime in May to July of this year.
Jan 21, 2012
220 posts
55 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 2:54 pm
Some A&W "say" they don't take Amex... but both locations that told me this I've since returned to and "said" Visa and paid successfully with Amex.
But anyways... A&W takes Amex. All locations for me now - even the ones that think they don't.
That's good to know :)
Jun 21, 2010
76 posts
19 upvotes
Gatineau
For those in Quebec, Couche-Tard takes it and is considered as "Groceries", I have the ScotiaBank Amex Gold card and used it to fill up the truck at a location with an Esso pump (payed inside).
Apr 28, 2012
836 posts
226 upvotes
QC
EdisonL299 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 11:53 pm
Same as you, I have "Amex acceptance anxiety" when I use my Scotia Gold Amex. Everytime I use the card, I tell the cashier I use "credit" (instead of Visa/MC/Amex), hide the card (Amex logo) and hope he/she just passes me the terminal to "test it out". When I pay with my BMO WE, I feel very confident and completely show my card to the cashier, because not only it is WE and I feel special, but also I know it will be 100% accepted.

When your Amex keeps getting declined, I bet your frustration will add up. Amex seems to be able to survive in Canada now, but I don't think it is a healthy business.
If I'm not sure the place takes AMEX, as in if there are no AMEX stickers on the door and it's the first time I'm visiting the restaurant, I hide the AMEX logo on my card it and just say I wanna pay with "credit" or visa and use my card without letting the cashier/attendant see its face.

But if I'm sure the place takes AMEX from previous experiences, then I proudly display my card and if asked about what method I want to use to pay, I confidently say "AMEX" in such a way that the cashier and other people nearby can hear it. After all, every one should accept AMEX!

Learnings from personal experiences:
  • In an unfamiliar store/business, avoid paying with AMEX contactless/tap. Many payment terminals don't support it and having the tap fail when trying to pay discreetly with AMEX could attract the cashier/attendant's attention to the card you're using.
  • Use the AMEX Small Shop map on your smartphone to explore the nearby places that accept AMEX
  • If a business is listed in the AMEX Small Shop map declines AMEX or makes a fuss about it, then report it to AMEX at www.takeamex.ca
  • Use Foodora and Just-Eat self pick-up order feature to pay using AMEX at places that don't accept it directly. When picking-up the order, see if there is way to casually mention to cashier/manager that you are doing the self pick-up order as work-around because they don't take AMEX
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.
Dec 26, 2008
919 posts
37 upvotes
Does anyone know where I can purchase Apple Store gift cards using Amex (grocery stores)? Looking to pickup an iPad and figure I can try to maximize the 4x points!
OLYMPIAKOS GATE 7

ΟΣΦΠ Misfits

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)