A list of merchants who accept AMEX in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 10:10 am
Tags:
None
Mar 16, 2011
176 posts
55 upvotes
When asked by a cashier, i just say Credit Card and try. Seems to work fine pretty much everywhere.
Apr 28, 2012
801 posts
224 upvotes
QC
Another tested and used technique for when some mom & pop merchants say they don't accept AMEX or credit cards and you suspect that their payment terminal is actually able to process credit cards:

Pre-requirement: customer holds debit card and credit card in one hand, with the face of the debit card visible and the AMEX/credit card hidden underneath
  1. Cashier: "Your total will be $13.40"
  2. Customer: "OK..."
  3. Customer waives hand that holds the credit card and debit card in a way that lets the cashier notice the front of debit card.
  4. Cashier hands payment terminal to customer
  5. Customer holds the payment terminal and tilts as if holding a phone in such a way that Cashier cannot see the face of card that will be inserted or tapped
  6. With an easy slight of hand, Customer inserts the AMEX card or credit card that was hidden underneath the debit card
  7. Customer follows the instructions displayed by the payment terminal and completes payment while making sure the terminal is tilted in such a way that the face of card is not visible to cashier
  8. Once payment is approved, Customer removes card and hands back the terminal to Cashier
  9. Cashier verifies that transaction is approved on the credit card receipt and, hopefully, doesn't notice that the card used was an AMEX or credit card.
  10. Cashier: "Thank you, have a nice day!"
  11. Customer leaves the premise without delay , and without looking back
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1990 posts
985 upvotes
nick227 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:05 am
Does anyone know where I can purchase Apple Store gift cards using Amex (grocery stores)? Looking to pickup an iPad and figure I can try to maximize the 4x points!
You could try 7-11
I have seen Apple logo gift cards at sev but I never stopped to see exactly what they were.
Could be iTunes or Apple Music?
And 7-11 is grocery on the Amex network.
Aug 23, 2017
48 posts
36 upvotes
Quebec
Flitox wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:11 pm
Another tested and used technique for when some mom & pop merchants say they don't accept AMEX or credit cards and you suspect that their payment terminal is actually able to process credit cards:

Pre-requirement: customer holds debit card and credit card in one hand, with the face of the debit card visible and the AMEX/credit card hidden underneath
  3. Customer waives hand that holds the credit card and debit card in a way that lets the cashier notice the front of debit card.
  4. Cashier hands payment terminal to customer
  5. Customer holds the payment terminal and tilts as if holding a phone in such a way that Cashier cannot see the face of card that will be inserted or tapped
  6. With an easy slight of hand, Customer inserts the AMEX card or credit card that was hidden underneath the debit card
  7. Customer follows the instructions displayed by the payment terminal and completes payment while making sure the terminal is tilted in such a way that the face of card is not visible to cashier
  8. Once payment is approved, Customer removes card and hands back the terminal to Cashier
  9. Cashier verifies that transaction is approved on the credit card receipt and, hopefully, doesn't notice that the card used was an AMEX or credit card.
  10. Cashier: "Thank you, have a nice day!"
  11. Customer leaves the premise without delay , and without looking back
My method has a lot fewer steps:

3. Pay with a Mastercard, debit card or a $20 bill.
  4. Customer leaves the premises and gets on with his life without worrying about how many damn points he's earned on $13.40.

I like Amex, I use my card when I can, but acceptance problems are not my problem, it's for Amex to solve.
Apr 28, 2012
801 posts
224 upvotes
QC
jimprdx wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:55 pm
My method has a lot fewer steps:

3. Pay with a Mastercard, debit card or a $20 bill.
  4. Customer leaves the premises and gets on with his life without worrying about how many damn points he's earned on $13.40.

I like Amex, I use my card when I can, but acceptance problems are not my problem, it's for Amex to solve.
But I want to reach the minimum spend to unlock the welcome bonuses on my AMEX cards !
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4101 posts
1118 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Vendors would be more inclined to add Amex acceptance if their customers demonstrate their preference to pay that way. It's a two-way street.

If you just wait for a vendor to accept it, it may never happen.