Travel

list of stuffs needed for a day trip to New York?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 2:28 am
Aug 24, 2014
280 posts
40 upvotes
North York

list of stuffs needed for a day trip to New York?

I'm a Canadian citizen, and thinking of a day trip by car to New York sometime soon.

What are the stuffs I need to prepare in advance? (passport, driver's license, US currency... ?)
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
You should be fine with Passport, DL and a credit card.

I'm assuming you are going to New York City, and not just the state of New York...curious as to why not make it a trip and spend a night (or 2) there...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
The drive is boring. Just fly.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gushingtears wrote: I'm a Canadian citizen, and thinking of a day trip by car to New York sometime soon.

What are the stuffs I need to prepare in advance? (passport, driver's license, US currency... ?)
Based on your wording...

Of day trip & car, and your RFD Locator listed as North York, I'm going to assume you mean a cross border visit to Upstate NY
(cause North York to NY City by car is a lot longer than a day trip = 813 Kms & about 8 Hours Driving)

As a Cdn Citizen to cross into the USA by land you'll need to show your passport to the US Customs Agent.

Questions will probably centre around your citizenship, where you live, where you are going, why, and when you plan to go back home

Your Cdn Drivers License & Car Insurance is good in the USA.

Even if you don't plan to drive, it can also serve as a second piece of Govt ID if needed.

You'll need US money and / or a Credit Card. If using a CC in Cdn Dollars expect to pay both the gong Exchange Rate & a Service Fee (Foreign Transaction Fee) charged by your CC on any purchases you make in the USA

Lastly, you should purchase Travel Medical Insurance BEFORE you go. This insurance will cover you should you need medical treatment while out of Canada (your Cdn Provincial Health Card is not recognized in the USA)

Returning to Canada you'll need to show your Passport to the Cdn Customs Agent.

They will ask you questions about your time out of Canada. They will also ask if you purchased anything that you are bringing back to Canada. You need to declare EVERYTHING you acquired in the USA. If it meets your personal exemption limit, you'll be free to continue on your way. If there are any additional questions, or you are over your Personal Exemption Limit, the Border Agent will refer you to Secondary, so they can further document your circumstance (and you may be subject to paying Duties & Taxes )

For further info see the Canadian Border Services Agency website, and the info for Travellers

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyag ... e-eng.html

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)